AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    But 2-8% richer means 2-8% more fuel, right? So lower fuel economy? More exhaust gasses, more carbon buildup, higher likelihood of gunked up injectors, increase risk of blow-by and other things you have issues with when more fuel at the same compression is happening? I know very little about motors but with how expensive these motors are, I just am afraid to do anything that impacts the motor.

Plus brass-tacks, the recent I didn't wait for the R1250 is because I don't want more power. The R1200 is already powerful enough for someone riding for 2 years :p
  2. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check the holding voltage after the BT has been attached for 24-48 hours. Make sure it’s 13.5V or higher. Ideally you’d like 13.8V for an AGM battery.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stay with what you prefer for sure. I just wanted to comment after doing years of testing as a hobby.

For example, 6% more fuel would mean about 3% less highway mileage but about the same mpg around town since you can often run one gear higher. Regarding the other negative effects, those of us using this technique for years haven’t seen them.
    rsl47m and AdamChandler like this.
  4. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old mechanics trick: fill the head with valve grinding compound, then tap in the torx bit (works for philips head too). The compound gives a good, high friction bite to the bit.

Oops, read on and saw you got it out.
  5. Ludicrous Speed

Ludicrous Speed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you were able to get it out, Adam. And now you've got a good set of tools to help when it happens again.

The Tekton stuff is decent, given the price. It's not Wera quality but as a potentially sacrificial part, it's the right price.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. Norsman

Norsman ...a GSophile

Oddometer:
    Do you have a link to the steering damper you use? What difference has it made?
    Boondox likes this.
  7. WillT

WillT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Hi (cc @Boondox as well since he liked your post)

It was $360.55 from BeemerShop but Ted does not have it listed on his site. I do know if you want Touratech Branded, the same damper is on TT USA’s Site for $550. It is identical, just a Touratech logo on a HyperPro damper.

This video shows installation and the TT version below
    How-To: Install HyperPro / Touratech Steering Damper - R1200GS LC (Stabilizer)

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Touratech-Suspension-Steering-Damper-BMW-R1200GS-ADV-2014-on

It’s a HyperPro Damper with Yacugar branding. Ted can certainly get it for you. Make sure you get the mount kit as well.

https://cdn.touratech-usa.com/09-045-5832-0.pdf
  9. miker325

miker325 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity, Adam... and maybe you discussed it somewhere before... but why did you want to change out the steering damper? Was the OEM part not doing what you needed it to? I'm guessing the one I have on my 2015 GS is largely the same as the one you had on the 2018 GSA, but I've never found it to be lacking and am curious about what you expect the aftermarket part will do to improve handling and safety.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Once you change it, you’ll feel immediately that the stock steering damper really wasn’t doing anything. I am being a bit short here but I went from my 2017 GSA with the progressive damper to a 2018 with an OEM damper and it’s like the damper was just completely gone like why have one at all?

The OEM Damper is linear, it’s the same amount of resistance throughout the steering and no matter how much weight on the rear tire. The progressive gets more stiff along the movement and you can adjust it to be harder. Great for off road and loaded up touring. You immediately notice it.
    Fosters, mikegc and Subaruvich like this.
  11. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a different stabilizer than Adam but I completely agree. It really smoothed out any highway speed wiggles for whatever reason and off road, especially in sand, it makes a world of difference. It's amazing.
    mikegc and AdamChandler like this.
  12. wanderlost

wanderlost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam: Did the aftermarket horn fit easily or did you disassemble it into two parts as some others have done. I somehow missed your post on that. Thanks
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I got distracted with the rear shock installation and doing my Spline Lube stuff. In Philly now so I haven’t been working on this in a few day. Had to grab some beer in PA but heading home today. I think tomorrow I’ll wrap up the Soundbomb install and get some photos.
    Subaruvich likes this.
  14. Garrett804

Garrett804 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you updating your amazon page with these new tools?
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Done! Took a few minutes off at Tired Hands in Ardmore to update the list with he new motorcycle dash cam and tools

https://www.amazon.com/shop/adamchandler

Thanks for the reminder!!!
    pezracer and deadflagblues like this.
  16. bthuss

bthuss Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    tonyubsdell and AdamChandler like this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I'm having an issue getting #3 on this parts diagram back in the bike:
    [​IMG]

Basically, It goes in straight, looks good until thread number 3 and it pops upward a bit upwards. I know better than to force it now and I back out. Have tried roughly a dozen times to guide it in straight. No luck.

It's an M12x75. I'd like to purchase a thread chaser. Would this work? https://www.amazon.com/Vermont-American-21146-12MM-1-25-Carbon/dp/B000K1LZVM/

...It has a ton of thread-locker so it's possible it's so thick that it's jumping a thread. BTW, I am having the same issue with the old bolt I took out and the brand new one from BMW. I have even tried screwing the bolt in w/o the shock in place and still having it jump a half-thread.

I've learned my lesson. Patience is key, order the right parts and take a chill pill. The bike doesn't need to be operational until end of March.
  20. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.