1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
  2. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike looks like a crime scene at the moment..:photog

Seems like you have it all under control however:lurk
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why do you buy anything from Touratech? Everything in your rant is true there are plenty of better companies out there .
    Dackrover likes this.
  4. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know you have a lot of wires but I would try and get some of them into the wiring channels already on the bike especially the ones you have running under the fuel tank. The part where the seat heigh bracket goes is really tight and you may pinch wires when you put it all back together. I ran 6 medium guage wires through those channels with minimal fuss and its super neat, I also wrapped all the wiring in TESA tape for abrasion and heat resistance, its the same stuff the other wires are already wrapped in. The main wire for the PDS the heavy guage ones I would not put them under the tank they are really thick I would put them under the frame direct to the battery you really don't want those to get rubbed on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EH6IZ6Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  5. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dackrover likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I definitely do not have anything under control :p

I don't have a lot of Touratech things. I just feel as if when I do buy from Touratech, I always end up regretting it. On this build, everything Touratech made is not available from any other vendor. If these mirrors I added end up vibrating, I'll throw them into traffic and buy the doubleTake mirrors

I actually have that tape and some other looms . Everything zip-tied now is mostly just staging. I plan on doing testing first then once I'm happy, I'll do a more permanent solution. thanks for the link!!!

Can't use CanSmart because I'm using ClearWater CanOpener. I can't (to my knowledge) daisy-chain Clearwater Can Opener or CanSmart / EZ Can, right?
  7. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big photos again? ;-)
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Not really. iPad shot photos hosted on IMGUR may be posted here at full resolution but they're only 1-2 megabytes in size.

it's the Canon 5D RAW images from Flickr that eat up 50-70 megabytes that are the problem so I use mid-size Flickr embeds but IMGUR I just use whatever output it gives me.
  9. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you might have gone with TT on the steering stop again...showed you mine at DirtDaze, superior design and comes in black if desired:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/34450101-102.html
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That wiring diagram looks familiar! :-)

Obviously the controls for the Clearwaters are different, but the rest should work for you. The heated seats can take place of the Gerbing controllers since you do not do heated gear.
    regnaDkciN likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Can I just hook clearwater directly to the battery to simplify things instead of overload the PDM60 more? We're Talking Sevina + Erica + two Darla + Billy brake light. that's a lot of wattage in addition to heated seat and dash cam going through the PDM60. Clearwater gives you enough terminal length and CanBus/ CanOpener keep the lights from draining the battery.

Thoughts?
  12. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy gosh that is a ton of light. . .. :rofl:rofl:rofl
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    During black friday I was debating throwing on some Squadron Pro lights as well just for the heck of it but I'm concerned my battery may melt.
  14. flatlandmoto

flatlandmoto vigilant adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's your mirror solution. Tested over a season and works great! Acts just like the double take. It also puts the mirrors a little farther out to see around my shoulders better.

JPEG image-4AF1FA5AF1B0-1.jpeg IMG_5980.JPG
    Factory mirrors, ram ball, short ram arm, double nut off amazon, and a few minutes. I have a couple more of the adapter nuts . . .PM me if you're interested.
    aahyuup, eddyturn and AdamChandler like this.
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    For the power you certainly can. The Canopener will shut off the lights when you shut off the key.
    regnaDkciN and AdamChandler like this.
  16. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Says this guy:
    [​IMG]
    mrb867 likes this.
  17. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that the PDM can't handle the Clearwater lights. But the c l headwaters mount d I early to the bike h Barnes anyway.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think keeping one of the PDM60 channels clear and removing the 5000 watt power draw from the clearwater setup will just make my life much easier. On my last GS, I had 6 different devices hooked directly to the battery. Down to 2 is a good thing.
    mr_10brook and JimVonBaden like this.
  19. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles

Oddometer:
    Miami Beach, Fl / Charleston, SC & London
    Is the alternator going to be able to recharge the battery if you are riding at night when it is cold (All lighting and heating on - plus give the horn a blast at the same time) .. I would have thought this would be the litmus test ?.
    The computer may be fooled in the daytime when the lights are off and just the heaters on and similarly on a warm evening with just the lights on but everything else off and no horn.

AdamChandler likes this.
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    If he doesn't run the seat heat he should be fine when all the lights are on full.
    AdamChandler likes this.