AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Adam,

A little late to thread (wait, only started last Thursday. It's going to be popular!), but really happy for the fun you'll have with the new bike. I hope the circumstances surrounding the demise of your Triple Black were not too miserable - my apologies if you chronicled the story, but I've not seen anything. I agree with your assessment of black being difficult to keep clean. When I sold my fancy-schmancy (for me) Porsche and returned to motorcycling, I thought about a black tiger 955i, but the demo bike with its myriad of scratches put me off on black. I eventually went with Roulette Green....don't ask me what I was thinking, as my wife feels it was the most hideous of my bikes - by far!

Anyway, best of luck with the new bike. If I were to sell mine and go with an '18, I would probably order the Matte Ocean Blue panels and swap them out. The matte paint is so simple to maintain and ALWAYS looks good. No waxing or buffing, just wash and dry. While I rode red sport bikes for a while back in NY, I'm hard in the blue camp these days.

I'll be watching with interest. Thanks for your enthusiasm and well-thought-out approach.

The GSA RULES!

[​IMG]20180927_145005 (1) by cjmadura, on Flickr
  2. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam, consider the Touratech off-road mirrors. I used the Double Take units on my KLR and found them cumbersome to adjust, as the two pivot points and fairly small knobs (along with the dust and debris) made for clunky adjustments.

I have the TT mirrors on my 2016 and love them - FAR superior. They are held in place by friction adjusters, and simply rotate over and inward when necessary - no tools or knob adjustments needed. I thought Double-take mirrors were the best until I tried these - there's literally no comparison. Cheers!
    RunninRanger and AdamChandler like this.
  3. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adam I think I may be placing an order to Cymark. Not sure if you have looked at their stuff? If you want something I can add to my order as shipping is a killer. I want to do one of their rear seat boxes. They make on that has compartments in it and I think I am going to wire up my Power Commander with Autotune into it. https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/r1200gsa-lc-pillion-seat-clip-onoff-utility-box-274-p.asp The only reason I have not installed it is the GS has no space to put anything like the two Modules that make up the PC V with AutoTune. I have a bunch of money invested in it, and the Dyno map. I tried to sell (give) it away and no one seemed interested so rather then leave it sit I think I will install it. The map was done on my 15 RT but with the autotune it should adjust pretty well, if not the guy will dyno it for me again. http://www.padyno.com/

Let me know if you want anything.

Lee
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hah, this is pretty funny - https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/r1200gsa-lc-light-duty-front-utility-rack-in-black-173-p.asp

I'd get it just to put a fake bento-box of wax sushi on top of it with glue as a joke.

-----

Looking at their offerings for GS, https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/2014-r1200gsa-liquid-cooled-26-c.asp

I'd personally just order everything and try it but I also couldn't easily return it. Everything seems really interesting yet all together not a lot of enhanced functionality to the bike. I'll look into it a bit more first but this being the first time I've seen their site, there are a lot of things here, prices aren't too bad.

Edit: Probably these two:
    https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/r1200gsa-lc-stainless-front-deflector-20132016-models-136-p.asp
    https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/r1200gsa-lc-akrapovic-exhaust-heat-deflector-440-p.asp

I've had my reflector on the license plate melt off due to heat. and I plastic-dipped my defelector not he windscreen black but it didn't look great.
    AltRider likes this.
  5. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey @AdamChandler cyclops LED just came out with the CANBUS raider which is a HexEz Can type thing except you don't need a computer to adjust the settings. They also claim you can replace the stock GSA AUX lights using the system. No experience with it but i like the concept.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Cyclops-Raider-BMW-Canbus-Interface_p_201.html

Found it. Sold out for now but I do think this round I'll be sticking with Clearwater. I think I'll do Clearwater CanOpener + PDM60.
    RunninRanger and JimVonBaden like this.
  7. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    which is a legite route to go. I am kinda torn about going either clearwater or cyclops and then getting different lights. I am just debating weither i will actually use the extra power port to make a second USB charging location.
    Snowhost62 and AdamChandler like this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    There are a few different options to consider:

1. PDM 60 simply for power management
    2. Cyclops Raider for Power management and better control of lighting options without the need for a computer and very basic dining switches but will bring you all of the features of EZCan as well as it seems 2 more powered ports for heated gear or USB
    3. CanOpener from Clearwater, no additional plugs and only works with Clearwater lights which are expensive
    4. EZCan, CanBus interface for lighting and horn using a computer to modify the features
    5. CanSMART, Denali branded EZCan which is required for the Denali line of light because I believe they use a 3-wire system as opposed to 2 so you need the Can SMART if you're going for the Denali ecosystem

there are a few more I'm missing here and I am currently trying to find a better version of PDM60 most importantly because I want the bike to turn off and everything to turn off with it. The Sargent seat stays on 30 seconds after the bike goes off because I had it Posi-Tapped into the brake-light wire on the last bike which really put a strain on the battery. Then there were the 4 USB ports in the top box that luckily, the adapter I had would turn off the USB ports if it saw voltage drop below 12.5 I think. And clearwater does a great job of killing their lights when you hit the kill switch so they weren't a huge draw.
  9. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The CanSMART, and EzCan are the same now. If ordering the EzCan, return it if you get a two wire version. Both are 3 wire now. The only difference between the two is branding, and the terminal plugs used. The CanSMART uses the same 3 pin triangular plug as their lights. The EzCan has 3 terminal oval plugs. Both support simple circuit override, which will give you switched power. Aux light circuit two will give you 4 amps which would be fine for device charging, the horn circuit is 25amp, which may or may not be enough depending on your heated gear.

I know you liked the Clearwaters, but for less than $700 you can pickup D4 2.0s, front light mount, B6 brake light, and CanSMART. You've missed some sales that could knock that a little lower but still. It's a lot of good quality kit for a decent price. The D4s, and B6 are bright as fuck. Personally I also went this route since everything has Denali's name on it, they are on the hook to fully support if there are issues, and no rewiring/re-terminating shit. I would recommend grabbing a multimeter and doing a continuity check on the extension cables before installing. Or smoke test everything before install (connect CanSMART to power, jack into CANBUS, connect up the lights) and make sure you don't see issues up front. This is really easy to do since it's just snapping the terminals together. I ordered my setup through ADV Depot as they had a 10% off coupon if you sign up for the their email newsletter (5% standing advrider discount), and free shipping.

Depending on your desired config, I think you might end up with needing a combination of your options anyhow. Or wire up your own solution.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The biggest thing keeping me with Clearwater is their support and customer service. We'll just have to see how things work out as far as financial things go. I put LED lighting pretty damn high on my list now that I'm running stock lights again. I miss the Erica lights most of all as the Darla lights didn't really add much to the Erica beams.
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    eddyturn and AdamChandler like this.
  12. rtrider

rtrider Lost

Oddometer:
    I went with the Denali lights & cansmart & brakelight. Very happy with all of them. The D4's have taken a few decent hits and barely a scratch on them. The simplicity of the install & integration is great, and they are blinding on high.

Edit to add: not much to say on the Denali customer service as I've only contacted them once via email - but I resolved it myself an hour later (user error). I had sent the email Sunday night, and had a response first thing Monday AM.
    LAFS and AdamChandler like this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Did you happen to post a review or thoughts? I thought you had Kristas up front?

I've had water ingress issues on the Clearwater Erica lights. I assume you haven't had any ,right? Most people don't have that issue with Erica so I'm probably driving in the rain too much.
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I do have Kristas, but for the purposes of your set-up, it is the same.
    Not sure about you. You seem to get water in everything! :lol3
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't had any water issues with my D4s. FWIW.
    gadgettr1 and AdamChandler like this.
  16. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    ClearWater sucks at customer service. They were very rude and am so happy they were! Once I told HEX how they treated me and what they said they sent me at that time a new 3 wire ezCAN to beta test.

Adam the Denali are they way to go for sure. With the optional yellow lens they are all that. I love mine and here is a link.
    https://denalielectronics.com/led-light-kits

If you drop down to the explanation of the TriOptic, and look you can see the 3 beam patterns you can use out of one set of lights!

At the very least the ezCAN is cool and works well. I had one of those as soon as Ted Porter got one, one of the first, ran it over two bikes and it is running on a third. I ran it until Hex was good to me and gave me the three wire.

Yes you need a computer to configure it but what needs done after the initial install? I ran it on the RT more than a year and half never needing to touch it. I see no reason why you need to as you can shut them off, and control dimming from the turn signal and wonder wheel.

At any rate if you need or in your case, want, new lights you owe yourself a look at Denali for sure.

I am talking to Cymark and he is working on shipping. They are a cool shop. Take your time as I am in no rush. I like his style of the box on the rear seat as he makes two. One is pretty high and I did not like it, but for wiring up a "central" PC V box I think it will work for my needs. It still gives me the platform for my Outlieb Bag when we travel. Probably better than the rear seat to say the least.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I had a Clearwater light fail and Glen I think it was replied to my email from the airport on a Sunday night. He was on his way to a rally and the Clearwater site said they were close for the week as it was all hands at the rally. He had a guy back at the home office mail out a new light to me that evening and said "we'll get your credit card info later. I just want you to get back on the road"

I mailed my failed light back to them and wasn't charged a dime for the out of warranty light failure.

So I've had a great experience with Clearwater so far.
    bobthekelpy, Starstruck and mikegc like this.
  18. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I've had similarly excellent customer service from CW.
  19. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    #MeToo
    bobthekelpy and mikegc like this.
  20. rtrider

rtrider Lost

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you meant to quote me on this question as I have no experience with the Clearwater - or were just asking as a comparison TO them.

I've had no water into the Denali D4's. That said - While I've ridden in the rain with them - only about 1 hr of it was heavy monsoon like downpour. Several day long trips where it was light rain the entire time and no issue. This was all after their beating on the rocks.

They have never been submerged at a water crossing.:muutt
    AdamChandler likes this.