AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    All red looks da bomb! Those with different opinions clearly have no taste!
    Tallbastid and AdamChandler like this.
  2. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had mine mounted with Clearwater mounts on the upper crash bar hoops, never really like how it looked and seemed vulnerable.

A friend had a DENALI light mount he wasn't using, so I installed that. Now it's a much cleaner install and the lights seem a bit more protected.

-jw

IMG_0034_edit.JPG
  3. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Meh for the skid plate just keep some black keylon and a scrap of carbboard handy to use as a backer when you touch it up.
    deadflagblues likes this.
  4. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need a new bike

Oddometer:
    I agree. A clean GS seems like a wasted GS for me. I’m having difficulty getting used to the idea that I’m going to be thrashing this horribly expensive piece of equipment. I bought it to do some epic $hit and learn a lot. So yeah.
  5. deadflagblues

Oddometer:
  6. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    Heh the skid plate on my truck still looks new from 5ft away. I practice what I preach :). This coming year I’ll wind up scaring the GSA.
    deadflagblues likes this.
  7. deadflagblues

Oddometer:
    I keep a can of VHT roll bar paint around expressly for my XJ’s skid plates.
  8. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    A bunch of other LED bulbs cause the ECU to throw error codes. The DMs don’t which is why, combined with the brightness, and support so many of us buy them. My GSA has a second hand set that I picked up in the flea market.
    AdamChandler and deadflagblues like this.
  9. deadflagblues

Oddometer:
    That was my next question. I’ll follow up w this bulb store and see what they can do.
  10. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How will you do that...threaten to put 20% ethanol fuel in its tank?

Oh...nvm, I get it now, you meant scarring it with rough use!!! :p3rry
    Boondox likes this.
  11. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    Both actually. It’s time Germany respected the US again. ;)
  12. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Phew, I locked myself in the house and played 36 hours of Red Dead Redemption this weekend. I took out the trash, scraped some ice off the roof but other than that, I was glued to the couch. Looks like this thread was busy and my Inbox has over 50 emails since Friday. Sorry everyone.

1. Turn Signal LEDs. I've been working with an alternative to Dynamic Motorrad for a year. I've tried 12 bulbs. Each of them still causes errors on the screen. I don't know if we'll ever find one that doesn't give an error. My advice, buy some cheap bulbs, if they give you an error, just go DM and call it a day. Finding a non-error LED Turn for the GS is really hard.

2. Over-Farkling, I saw some comments about this here and on YouTube. It's easy to exclaim "it's my build, butt out" but I actually feel this is a larger topic..one that could be discussed in its own thread. Some people find joy in modifying things. I unfortunately can't really weigh in on this in an unbiased way for quite some time. Maybe 10 years from now, I'll think about and still be able to justify the modding or cough it up to n00b-enthusiasm. Rationally, I see a point to everything I've put on the bike except some of the protective bits from Touratech. Those are some of the dumbest things but lights, power management, ergonomics (pegs, shifter, risers, seat) and luggage these are all necessary upgrades. The risk of over-farkling a GS is added weight. That's really the only downside. You've turned a heavy GS into a Valkrie and worse-so because the weight is much higher than a Valkrie. I know some people who eliminate risers and deal with the back and neck pain because controlling the bike is much better at OEM level. The Germans know what they're doing. There are people with broken steering columns, coolant leak disasters, broken side-stand switches, holes in the motor, final drive damage from off-road crashes, busted cylinder heads and other things but there are just as many people out on the road riding completely stock Gs bikes and no protective bits doing just fine. They have AAA. They have road-side. They have an AMEX. if a rock on the road puts a hole in the radiator, they park the bike, call a tow truck and deal with it. I commend people who can ride an OEM GS around not because it's dangerous but because they have more self control than me and they likely have a lot more fun in the twisties than me because their bike weighs 75 pounds less. This is a build thread, we're building, not riding. I think the point of this thread is to educate people about installation, look, feel, experiences of each individual farkle. Not have people cloning my build thread because most people shouldn't do that. They should spend the money on a 2nd bike instead. (or 3rd in my case). Putting $13,000 USD into a $24,000 motorcycle is about the dumbest thing you can do. So my advice to people is to appreciate each mod on its own and less criticism about the bike as a whole. That's my burden to bear as I'm the one who has to ride it.

3. Crash bar colors! This was super fun. I under-estimated the feedback. I figured 5 people would agree on one thing and we'd do that. @TownPump had the most liked comment,

With that said, I kind of feel the same way. for reference:
    [​IMG]

I like that, too. The AltRider Bars are silver. In fact, most of the Touratech Protective bits at the bottom of the bike are also silver. It'll all match up pretty well. The upper being black is okay with me as the top of the bike never makes contact with the ground (hold my beer, though :p ). So I can afford a shiny black upper. I'm having my powder coat guy bead-blast the uppers. We're going to see how they look compared to the AltRider lowers. if it's still not a good match, I'll have him do a flat black upper coating.

Thanks for the feedback!

4. The 2018 GSA AltRider Radiator guards are in. I'll be doing a video comparing those with the 2017 model showing the revisions they made to make them fit. Some people just want what fits their bike but others like to see bike changes YoY so it's interesting to see what changed on the guards to make them fit.

5. Electrical work will be done by next weekend I think. I'm lucky the guy helping me is used to me videoing things because I need to somehow make our electrical work fit in with a video on installing Clearwater + PDM60 + overall electrical management tutorial. I think he's the right guy to narrate this assuming he's comfortable with that.

Busy week for me though. Lots of business meetings day and night + a new property I'm managing and trying to fill (6 units) by January 1st in addition to moving to a new web-host in the new year so I'm pretty busy but everything is going well.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Here's a picture from October to hold everyone over:
    [​IMG]
    TownPump and mikegc like this.
  14. TownPump

TownPump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent commentary on "over-farkling." I appreciate and learn so much from each of your modifications and couldn't care less on what the final sum of the parts costs or weighs. Keep up the great work here, it is of the highest caliber and addicting to follow you along your own path.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam, have you chosen your driving light mounts yet?
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I think so. Well I have them mostly installed.

Darla Fork Mounted w/ Amber Covers
    Erica + Sevina mounted to upper crash bars w/ clear covers.

I think that overall, I've been mis-managing this thread though. It's been more chat-room and less dedicated posts to each mod. I need to start doing a better job at that. I've been a bit dis-organized in life lately with so much going on that I haven't done a good job at compiling each mod as its own post. Sorry about that.
  17. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Looks purdy!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Just testing out @AltRider's Radiator guards that are revised for the 2018 GS Adventure (and I would assume they work on the R1250 but hopefully AR can jump in to help?)

Two big differences
    1. MORE AIRFLOW!!!!
    2. No more need for a spacer as the outside mount is flush with the plastic shroud as opposed to the bracket hanging out in the air and thus a spacer being required.

Final note, this is almost a final product and I'll be sending these back to AltRider (these are not free gifts to me) and I think the finish is not well...finished so that may change but with this design it appears you need no hardware from AltRider. Re-use the two T25s and you're good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2017 on the right, 2018 installed:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LOOK AT ALL OF THAT GLORIOUS AIRFLOW!!
    eddyturn and deadflagblues like this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Since the bike is still stored for the winter, I hope AltRider will produce a black version because I just think it helps tidy up the underneath bits. the silver stands out a bit too much for me. I liked how the black covered up the silver radiator. Unfortunately, it's not a good idea to spray paint a radiator black...airflow and all.
  20. deadflagblues

Oddometer:
    And.. after a bit of back and forth, I’m going with DM. Thanks to you and Adam and the collective for your advice.
    AdamChandler likes this.