AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I concur...plus, the new design from AltRider they sent to Adam to ride-test, might make a significant improvement moving forward for new purchasers.
  2. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stressed out thermostat.......
    Dackrover likes this.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    VERY quick update (promise)

Tomorrow, my helicopter mechanic friend arrives to help me over-come wiring hell. I'm so grateful he's waving his $500 an hour billable rate to do this for me. List of things to install:
    • 2-Channel Dashcam
    • Two SAE Ports
    • One Powerlet
    • Erica + Sevina + Darla
    • Billy Brake light
    • Touratech ESA shocks (one of the connectors came loose and I don't want to break it)
    • PDM60
    • Sargent Heated Seat
    • Denali Soundbomb
    • Cable management and testing
    Current status after a ton of clean-up...the workspace was overloaded with empty Christmas boxes, trash, tools were everywhere. I even swept!!!!

You'll notice my clearwater covers also arrived. Clearwater had sent me two Sevina mounting brackets instead of one each of erica + sevina so in my request, I also ordered the light covers.
    [​IMG]

Here's all of the electrical bits:
    [​IMG]

A mostly empty canvas for my friend:[​IMG]

Went to the nearest Starbucks to bang out a post about my new motorcycle - http://adamchandler.me/blog/2018/12/26/my-bike-my-new-bmw-k75-rt/

Side-note, always use a VPN on public wifi networks. :p
    [​IMG]

(not sure if I should do a ride report for my fly & ride but I have enough content to throw one together. Nothing exciting happened so I didn't see a huge value.

Miscellaneous:
    • Jet-Hot called me today about the powder coating issues I've had. They've agreed to cover shipping and take the pipe back and fix the issues with over-spray. They're hoping to make it right...we'll see. I'm in no rush to get it back but the fact the rear exhaust silencer hanger doesn't line up and I'm getting an exhaust leak means the fitment is just not great.
    • The local powder coating shop still has my crash bars but I think I'm almost convinced that doing the uppers in black is the best course of action...stay tuned. They owed me a few hundred dollars after their powder coating on my exhaust headers last year melted off after 1000 miles so I have some free work they owe me anyway. They did say the rear footpads in black are done.
    • Great Christmas, looking forward to 2019! I think the fun part of the build (protective bits) will all be done by end of January then I'll think about if I want to send my wheels to woody's to be trued.
    • Thanks everyone and sorry for the quiet updates over the last 2 weeks. Red Dead Redemption has kept me busy.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    No photos of the K?
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    That's off-topic and mods would delete it. I linked to it in the starbucks line above with some photos
    LAFS and deadflagblues like this.
  6. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike.

Rather than convert it, buy a standard K75S, like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More easily found. You may even be able to trade for a low miles one.
  7. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam, don't convert it. When you are done, sell it to me for me to give to my son. Then use the money to buy an S model.
    RoundTrip, TownPump and AdamChandler like this.
  8. Phil8dirt

Phil8dirt '17 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Adam, where are you planning on mounting your RotopaX on the new bike. On your previous bike I noticed you initially had them on the pillion rack and later moved them to the rear luggage rack. Was there a reason you didn't like them on the pillion rack?
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Good question....that exercise really didn't pan out very well. You can skip over this part of the response which is historical context:

I tried adding additional fuel to the 350 mile GSA a few different ways:

1. Mounting a 1 gallon then a 2 gallon in place of the pillion seat using the AltRider Pillion Rack
    2. Mounting a 1 gallon on the Black dog cycle works luggage plate that goes in place of the top box
    3. Placing the rotopax inside of the top box
    4. I mounted an AltRider rear luggage rack before the Black dog one but the rack wouldn't work with the jesse boxes and would catch. Instead of shaving it down, I just sold it.
    5. Accepting the fact that the GSA doesn't need extra fuel and realizing it was a stupid effort :p

Here are some photos:
    [​IMG]
    (this option put pressure on the top box and wasn't very comfortable on my back and left no room for a dry bag)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (this option worked great, barely noticeable despite changing the bike's weight distribution significantly but would eliminate the option of adding a top box)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As you can see in the last 3 photos, I started just carrying the 1 gallon pax on me on the AltRider plate. I found that having water while camping was more important than fuel (duh).

Here is my friend Sylvain's setup:
    [​IMG]

And Matt's Setup:
    [​IMG]

The 2 small canisters were octane booster with 1 gallon each of fuel & water. Don't ask how I got that photo with a Canon 5D :p

=========

The primary take-away here is that the GSA does not need extra fuel. There are asterisks to this but we did the Trans-labrador and never touched our fuel canisters. I've brought extra fuel on a few different trips and people here are right that your fuel stops are limited by the bike with the shortest range. If you're touring with F800s, you'll never need your canisters. They didn't even need our canisters as they brought extra for themselves. I don't even think Prudhoe bay would require extra fuel as guys on GSAs do it all of the time.

So.....with that said, I've found 1 gallon of water per day to be essential for cooking, making coffee, washing hands, cleaning mud off your seat, etc are all nicer with water. Matt and I each used a gallon a day when we were camping on the side of the road.

tl'dr over:

To answer your question, I've found a single 1 gallon rotopax (water or fuel) mounted to an AltRider Pillion rack to be the best place. It brings the weight more forward to the center, you can still put a dry-bag on top of it RokStraped to your grab handles and it's not in the way of boxes or contributing to the weight limitations BMW cites for your side and top boxes...it's way less than any pillion would be.

Unfortunately, AltRider no longer sells a plate with pre-drilled Rotopax holes because people were complaining about the possibility of water leaking through to electronics. we all know the sub-frame pan has drip holes and water isn't an issue so if you buy the AltRider rack, you'll need to drill your own holes. It's aluminum so a very simple task.
  10. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck! I actually enjoy doing stuff like this its quite satisfying once its all done. I predict that you spend about 1 hour deciding the electrical layout on paper and about 4 hours actually getting the cables to a point where they are in acceptable locations and then another 2 hours connecting everything. For such a big bike there is a surprisingly small number of ways to lay cables front to back neatly.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. Phil8dirt

Phil8dirt '17 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Thanks Adam for posting several solutions. Sylvian's setup is what I was considering, 1G RotopaX (water) or a Pelican iM2100/2200 Storm case for tools/etc on the pillion with a large duffle.

Have fun today with the wiring.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I also like Sylvain's rear pelican box that locks for knick-knacks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Add in their crash bar bags and you have a seriously heavy GS...too much even for me :p

[​IMG]
  13. Wilks

Wilks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't a moving truck be better to carry all that stuff? Just kidding....well mostly...carry on. (see what I did there?)

lol
    slackline and AdamChandler like this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    For Sylvain, for sure. He's working with 70L in the BC35s + 40L with the Zega Pro, 5L each on the crash bar bags, a 15-25L tank bag and a 7L Pelican box behind his license plate.

I always ask if he wants to take the gear off when we have a base-camp and we're off-road all day and he declines. There's absolutely no need for all of those bags when you're out in the woods all day but that's his style. not shitting on it but when I go off road, if I have a camp-site I leave everything off the bike and have a ton of more fun.
    cjmadura likes this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Touratech Rear Splash Guard Installed. Had to drill a small hole in order to fit the Billy Brake Light through:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mikegc and deadflagblues like this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Is this an appropriate place to ground cables for the PDM60?

[​IMG]
    bb82bird likes this.
  17. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Place, or method? Where is the ground grounded?

Mine:
    [​IMG]

Home made, but there are aftermarket ones a little nicer. Mine is grounded to the battery.
    mikegc and AdamChandler like this.
  18. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Definitely a fire hazard. We aren’t done yet. Just testing things. Everything works!
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    It is nearly impossible to have a fire hazard with a 12V ground. Even hot generally will just melt a few wires.
    Dackrover, AdamChandler and mikegc like this.