AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Longrider9

Longrider9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Longrider9

Oddometer:
    Adam,

Did you modify your Altrider pillion plate?
    I've only seen the Altrider pillion plate for a 2014 1200 GSW that can only be mounted IF you remove and re install the rear luggage rack.
    That design has been a "deal breaker" for me because of this.
    Did you grind off the front metal loops off of your plate so you can install and remove the reap luggage rack??
    Andy
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the GSA, no need to remove the luggage rack for the pillion plate. On the GS, you do.
  4. Longrider9

Oddometer:
    I believe the front attachment point for the rear luggage rack is the same for the GS and the GSA. I may be wrong.
    The pillion plate you have pictured does not have the metal loop ring on the pillion plate that necessitates the removal of the rear luggage rack to install the plate.
    The only only pillion plate I've seen on the Altrider site have the metal loop for both the GS and GSA pillion racks.
    The pillion plate you have pictured looks like the front metal loops have been cut off to allow for the installation and removal of the pillion plate without having to remove the rear luggage rack.
  5. KnucklesInTheWind

KnucklesInTheWind Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Re: Rear plate for GS’s that do NOT require the luggage rack removed... There is a prototype in final stages of tweaking that is SLICK AS HELL(!) coming for us GS owners. Developed by a top ADV rider/trainer it will be around $300 ...black power-coated 4-5mm stainless and allow the Top case and pillion seat to be added or removed while the plate remains on the bike. You never have to take it off. This a brilliant addition for those of us who have our prettier half ride along regularly and/or want to go off-road without a top case but still have a mounting platform for all the “stuff”. ETA? GSA plate is done and ready for orders and the GS plate will deliver to me in early/mid Feb ‘19.
    Will post pics when I get it.
    Ps. Same guys are creating a couple (large and over-sized) sets of new cool foot pegs as well.
  6. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need a new bike

Oddometer:
    I’m looking forward to seeing this.
  7. Phil8dirt

Phil8dirt '17 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    That will be sweet. I can see myself ordering that as I like to keep my top case on all the time, but switch out pillion plate for trails and seat for 2-up.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The two AltRider Pillion plates I've bought for GSA doesn't require the top rack be removed first. The photos on AltRider's site show a closed loop so either the two I have are a previous revision or maybe the person who owned them before me cut them? I bought them from 2 different inmates here.
  9. Longrider9

Oddometer:
    I’ll contact Altrider after the holidays.
    The only pillion plate they show for BMW 1200 GSW’s has a closed loop at the front.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. imjustdave

imjustdave n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m lost for words …. 66 pages over 1300 posts and only really 1 slight spat… and for sure 1 owner who loves to share his experience, ideas, extensive budget for a new bike build and most importantly some photos..
    It has taken me almost 4 days of off and on reading to read it all…

Now for the bad news… I sort of want to go and buy a new bike, not sure if I would customize it much to start with, or even take it off road much… but WOW I have this desire to go spend a bunch of coin on a cool bike.

I should state that I have always said if I got another it would be a GSA. Past bikes were 96 K1200RS, and 99 K1200LT…. and a few test rides on the GS really has stuc.

OK let the wrenching continue.
    JimVonBaden, mikegc and AdamChandler like this.
  11. Chugiak

Chugiak Lechien Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lets see how this goes, and how much these great ideas will cost me, thanks...I think
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Whoa, first post and you joined 10 years ago. Awesome and nice to hear from you. I feel eventually, I'll get into custom bike builds, I really enjoy wrenching a lot so modifying is a ton of fun even if it's just off the shelf parts.

I already have another project bike to work on after the GS is done :)

I'm currently waiting on powder coating to be done followed by a new ESA module from Tractive and warranty work from Jet-Hot to finish before I can do more to the bike.
  13. watchmen

watchmen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am very curious to see how the dashcam turns out. I had a Innovv K1 Dashcam system that never worked, after a month the DVR froze on me.
    Great job with the build so far! Its been a fun read.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat as you. If all works out, it sits in the sub-frame pan for years recording on a 5 minute loop, accessible on my phone and can reliably help me if I'm involved in a collision with another vehicle where they are at fault.

I hope that ends up being the case because wiring this thing up to work is a lot of work finding the right place, added weight and power draw.
  15. roadrage

roadrage Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Isn't a 5 minute loop going to be useless if you're knocked silly? Does it freeze the loop under some conditions?
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    @markpaulsm represents VSYSTO and was helping me with pre-sale support. Maybe he can jump in?

the way I understand it is the dash cam will utilize the full card but it always saves the last 5 minutes overwriting the oldest footage as it goes. Maybe I'm misunderstanding so Mark may have to clarify.
  17. roadrage

roadrage Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think typical behavior is use full contents in a loop. Exceptions to the full capacity would be saved/reserved contents. To save the last 5 minutes would be fine and really only make sense if there's a trigger, G-shock, physical button push to lock, etc. Maybe it saves 5 minute bites constantly in the same full content loop? Maybe Mark will speak up.

Being knocked silly or adrenalized due to a bad accident and not thinking about the camera would in most cases not be so helpful.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. Ken Oath

Ken Oath Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You mention the "GSA plate is done and ready for orders" - is there a link please?
    SEACOM likes this.
  19. KnucklesInTheWind

KnucklesInTheWind Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They have a Facebook page - Seacom Manufacturing ...or email them at Seacom.Solutions@gmail.com Pls tell Will that Chad sent you. Cheers!
    SEACOM likes this.
  20. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out post #7 on this thread.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/bag-...at-show-me-whatcha-got.1315586/#post-35092903

I have the altrider pillion plate and you must remove the grab rails to remove the plate. It seems the newest plate from altrider is not drilled for the rotopax (probably good as now you can place it further forward towards your rear seat so you can fit a one gallon rotopax between your GSA grab rail-not going in between the Gs rails regardless of what you do) and it has the loops. I can’t figure out the thought process for this.

If /when I find a set of gsa grab rails I will be cutting the “wings” off of the altrider plate.
    Ken Oath likes this.