AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. SEACOM

SEACOM n00b

Oddometer:
    Chad, I always new you were an awesome dude. At first it was you launching a GS into the brush on the back wheel, now you just are awesome! Thanks for the mention.
    KnucklesInTheWind likes this.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry all for the silence. Christmas + NYE + officially taking on a board seat for my local BMW Club Chapter has me very busy. Before I start diving into 2019 Taxes, I'm going to start editing some videos:

[​IMG]
  3. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

On the Oilhead GS bikes, removing the Charcoal filter was a common modification. Is this something I should do? Wouldn't save much weight. Doesn't look like it'd throw a code...no sensor is involved. Thoughts?

I should add, my 2009 GSA didn't have this..why? It was purchased in Italy by the 1st owner who was stationed there and he shipped the bike back after his deployment and then spent time getting the damn thing titled.

so I never dealt with this on the old bike.

I don't want to remove it from the LC...it's just sitting there, probably weights 6 ounces? fils in the whole behind the triple tree and above the motor nicely. Not sure where I'd run the hoses if I did remove it.
  4. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a largely ignored violation of federal law with a maximum penalty for an owner of $3750. No one cares though. Just take don't tale money for removing someone elses, they get more excited about that.

6 ozs though, that's quite a bit. It's high up too. :D

https://advrider.com/f/threads/r120...ing-off-the-filler-cap.1195716/#post-31164063 may help with how.
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the extra information. I honestly don't think it needs removing...and since the front shock is already back in, I don't feel like breaking the thread locker again to do the job.
  6. Doug Fremder

Doug Fremder 2017.5 BMW R1200GS Triple Black

Oddometer:
    Congrats Adam on taking a seat on the board, I'm sure you'll have a positive impact on the local chapter.
    TimmyTheHog and AdamChandler like this.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I'm pleased to offer a formal modification update! It's been a while.

I'm going to break with the theme and post about what work has been done versus what hasn't.

First, the @AltRider Farkles are starting to make their way onto the bike. These look great in silver as opposed to black that I used before. I think the silver lower color scheme compliments the red fairing and silver tank well so these already look fantastic. I should thank AltRider for a small customer loyalty discount associated with these but nothing crazy and of course I'm not required to say nice things about them. I would have purchased from AltRider anyway!

Left & Right Heel Guards:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kickstand Switch Protector

[​IMG]

Sidestand Enlarger:

[​IMG]

Rear Brake Reservoir:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ------

My 2nd Touratech Goody is also on the bike, this is their rear splash guard which is more looks than function unless you're prone to rooster-tailing your way out of the trails and there's anyone behind you then this mod will never serve its purpose. I did hit a snag which is the Billy Brake Light would not fit w/o drilling a hole which I actually measured twice this time and got the hole almost perfect!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    -----

The electrical stuff was done 1.5 weeks ago and I've done nothing except test to make sure it all worked out. A few photos followed by a video. I think this whole ordeal deserves its own post but a huge thanks to an inmate for their help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

----
    The Touratech shocks are on but the ESA Module has an issue so I've sent it to Ted Porter's Beemershop for a warranty fix which you can see those cables dangling off to the side with nowhere to go!
    [​IMG]

----
    The powder coating shop hasn't even started on blacking out my Pillion Pegs or blacking out my upper crash bars (2 weeks out) they say. When you combine that with 10-20 days for the Beemershop hardware based on Tractive's turnaround time and the fact that Jet-Hot still has my Akrapovic headers fixing their over-spray issue, I decided to go hog-wild.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YEP, we're back in this state again and many of you remember the anxiety I caused all of you last year by having the bike up on blocks for a month and continuing to mod it which really just made everyone super nervous and what do you know, I ended up dropping the old bike on a rear rotor and dinging it so did I learn my lesson? NOPE.

Woody's Wheel Works has a 5% off coupon right now and if I can get the wheels in the mail tomorrow, they'll honor it. They're going to Lace & True my OEM Wheels which comes with their 1 year warranty and their "stronger than factory" claim that I certainly tested in 2018 on my old BMW GS..now that I think of it, I should have put the 2019 wheels on my 2018 that was totaled and take those with me since they had proven themselves. Oh well. Off to Colorado these go.

[​IMG]

-----

I'll continue doing modifications (small stuff) over the next couple of weeks but by sending my wheels to woody's, the delay in finishing my Tractive shock install, delay in powder coating and Jet-Hot all of this means that the big stuff like Exhaust, Crash bars, skid plate and some of the up-top bling will have to wait until February most likely.

:(

I finally wrapped up editing and doing a sound test with the Denali Soundbomb. LOUD:

[​IMG]

-------

That's it for tonight. Bike is coming along but when you have parts sent out to various vendors, you just gotta pour a dram of scotch and read a good book which is always fun.
    Dale402, mikegc, jpbadonk and 3 others like this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    aahyuup likes this.
  9. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My anxiety can't take it, can you at least put a strap on the center stand to the crash bar to stop it folding up!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

rotor?
    TimmyTheHog and Stoshu like this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Spoked Wheel Issues got you down? Can't trust BMW to make a wheel anymore? Have a brand new motorcycle and are sitting on cash that is just gathering dust?

Here's the price to True & Re-Lace two BMW OEM Wheels at Woody's..comes with a 1 year warranty and a 'stronger than OEM' guarantee...actually it should be less since the $133 won't be charged since they aren't straightening the wheel (checking on this)
    [​IMG]

My wheels go out today.

Edit: regarding "straighten rim x2" Woody's says the majority of new BMW spoked wheels they get are already bent from the factory in some way so they quote it on every BMW and remove it if they don't find a bend. Seems fishy but what do I know?
    deadflagblues likes this.
  12. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah...that looks even worse on second viewing, eeeeshhhh!!!!! Iirc, you were actually trying to break the bead on the tire using the CENTER stand (rather than the side stand), and without a strap holding it in place.

Good on you for having a strong enough ego to have so openly shared it and be able to laugh together about it!
    deadflagblues and AdamChandler like this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I never tried to pretend I know what I'm doing. Quite literally everything I post here is learning as I go and the same goes for working on the bikes. I'm pretty thankful I had the Machine Art Moto cylinder head guards installed (just had installed them) and that the only damage was the rear brake rotor which I replaced with one off eBay that was 1/10th used for $150.
  14. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Cost with insurance was around $60 to ship to wheels to them
    deadflagblues likes this.
  16. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adam you have to put end to this you costing me more money. Now I have to buy side stand enlarger. OEM side stand was fine then comes Rosie Red all dolled up.:jack Oh well monkey see monkey do.
    mikegc and AdamChandler like this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I’ve had a lot of enlarged side stands. Really comes in handy.
    jpbadonk likes this.
  18. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you expect to use the sidestand offroad...this is one mod that will likely prove itself over time and you'll eventually come to regard as pretty much mandatory!
    jpbadonk and AdamChandler like this.
  19. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in NJ no dirt here, 99% on road. 1% they were repaving the Starbucks parking lot. I went there 10 time for coffee same day:imaposer
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    On a really hot day, your side stand won't to sink into the asphalt with the Enlarger affixed
    Pilgrim83 and Switchglide12 like this.