AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plus, they sometimes spill the coffee grounds on the way out to the dumpster at Starbucks -- those can be pretty deep and slippy...you won't catch me getting coffee without TKC80s on the bike!!!
  2. mr_10brook

mr_10brook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you remove the tires from the rims before shipping?
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tires were removed yes..did I remove them? LOL NO. :p that's how I bent my last two wheels.
    JimVonBaden and mikegc like this.
  4. mr_10brook

mr_10brook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I messed up a wheel on an R1100RT once because I had no idea what I was doing. ( 18 inch tire irons) I bought a No Mar Tire Changer shortly after that. I kind of thought you removed the tires because 60 bucks shipping 2 wheels to Colorado did not sound too unreasonable. Was that via UPS?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    UPS + $2500 in insurance which added up the cost significantly. But if UPS loses my BMW wheels...well that's what it's going to cost to replace them.
    mr_10brook likes this.
  6. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam did you think about the 21" option ?.

AdamChandler and Dackrover like this.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Yep...I thought long and hard about getting an off-road wheel setup for my GS because I got tired of buying knobbies 4 times a year and then after much deliberation, I bought a dirt bike :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did this cost estimate:
    [​IMG]
    ...over 100K miles, I'd spend $13,500 on TKC80s or $4230 with a touring tire that lasts longer so I took that money I'd theoretically be saving and purchased a dirt bike.

----

back to the 21" conversion, you need to modify the fender for sure, it makes highway touring a little less stable and let's face it, even where I live, I still do about 75% of my miles on asphalt because the GS is my long distance bike so I'd benefit on the weekends when we're fooling around off-road but every other time, I'd be on a more squirrelly front end.

Overall, the GS for me is going to be a weekend warrior but mostly touring. For our dirt rallies (Fundy, Dirt Daze, Green mountain rally), I'll tow the dirt bike there and leave the GS at home.

Once the Anakee 3s run out, I'm pretty sure I'll be throwing TKC70s on (90/10 tires).
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  8. miker325

miker325 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam, how did you package up the wheels to make sure they arrived unscathed... as in not only unbent, but also unscratched?
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I almost always do my own packaging but lacked a box that was the perfect size so I had UPS Store do it.

They use a box that fits both wheels perfectly laying down, bubble wrap underneath and a cardboard piece between both wheels with bubble wrap around both wheels. $20 packaging fee but worth it.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  10. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode up from Miami and did the whole of the MABDR and 70% of the SEAT on TKC70's ... fabulous tires more of a 60/40 me thinks.

TAT and Continental Divide this summer from June through August so will put 80's on then. Thought about the 21" but I have to do so much road just to get to dirt that it really does not make sense.

Just out of curiosity - when you bought the Woody's did they centre the valve on the rear wheel ?.

Looking at taking a tube with me this summer but just worried about the offset valve position on the rear if I were to tube it in an emergency.

Quote .. Unquote "Once the Anakee 3s run out, I'm pretty sure I'll be throwing TKC70s on (90/10 tires)".
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    That's good to hear! I have not used them before. Knobbies are great but these bikes are so heavy, I'd prefer to just take the dirt bike for serious stuff anymore.

The rear valve was not moved on the rear..they did add a sticker!
  12. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have TKC 70's, great on pavement, ok on gravel and packed dirt, absolutely worthless if the dirt is wet and the slight bit muddy.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    It's that time of year when shit really goes off the rails:

[​IMG]
    bb82bird and Kidder like this.
  14. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just back away from the computer, no good can come of this... Maybe just go put a cover over the bike and enjoy some bourbon.

-jw
    bb82bird and AdamChandler like this.
  15. markpaulsm

markpaulsm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, when you turn on the 'Loop Recording', the VSYSTO dash cam will keep recording as 1/2/3/5 minutes clips by overwriting the oldest footage. And you can also turn the 'Loop Recording' off if you wish, then it will recording as 30 minutes per clips without overwriting, and it will stop recording once the micoSD card is full.
    roadrage and AdamChandler like this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Note, I haven't forgotten about you. The dash cam install work is almost done.
    markpaulsm likes this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    We are FINALLY putting things back together. My Warranty Replacement Tractive ESA Module arrived today (thanks to Ted Porter of Beemershop who is always a blast to talk to. We spoke for 15 minutes after we wrapped up the module issues I was having) and he had the replacement to me in 2 business days from California.

[​IMG]

One concern of mine was around the tank fitment with the huge influx of wires. I had to do a bit of finagling:

[​IMG]

That's my first go at putting gthe tank back on. we had a lot of ways to go before it was a perfect fit. [​IMG]

here we go, all lined up, just had to take it on and off a few times and continue moving cables around pushing them deeper and closer to the motor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped here for the night because I really don't have to rush things.

Jet-Hot Headers should be back to me by 1/24. Powdercoating of upper crash bars still in progress but I think it'll be done end of next week. Then I'll put all of that on and finally get to the AltRider Skid Plate + Crash bars.
    bb82bird and jpbadonk like this.
  18. jpbadonk

jpbadonk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great Adam. I bet it feels nice to see things coming together. You have more 'courage' than I do to take a brand new bike apart like that. But kudos for doing it all and showing us all along the way. Inspiring me to do 1/10 things on my new bike for sure...second round of orders went in today.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Good luck to you! I think people knowing I'm not a professional and going in head first anyway should be helpful. It was -15F this morning when I went to work. This really kills the time between riding seasons.
  20. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adam you a da man.

Hey, I will send you all my money and you send me all of yours? Deal?

Seriously have a bit of bike envy but life is like that. Pretty impressive bike mods.

I am curious as to your take on the traffic cam. I would like to have one but wonder on the time of recording. Do you have available resolutions to choose? I am curious as to what a 128 Gig card would do or even a 256 Gig card. My fear is you have a accident, if you are out, or unable to get to the bike, what happens to the record of the accident on the card? I mean if it is 720 or 1080 it is going to hog up some memory. Curious as to what you find and think is the way to go at it.

Anyway cools stuff and keep building on..................
    AdamChandler likes this.