AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. KnucklesInTheWind

KnucklesInTheWind Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Re: small fee ... +1 ...as would I.
    One last note for what it’s worth (admittedly anecdotal but apropos). Nearly all of us have likely watched the epic adventure motorcycle series of Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman - Long Way Round and Long Way Down. Look carefully at those heavily laden and decently modified GSA’s ...it appears to me neither had re-laced or upgraded wheels. Could be wrong but sure looks like they completed those difficult journeys on stock wheels.
    Dackrover likes this.
  2. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW spec allows for 1.7mm, about 1/16".

@AdamChandler, what motivated you to send your wheels to Woodys? It was strictly preventive right? Or did you have symptoms of some kind?
  3. KnucklesInTheWind

KnucklesInTheWind Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just had an idea hit me — I have the mobile # for the Master Mechanic at RawHyde Adventures. He has 15+ years experience (dealership and certified BMW school)... plus he’s a CRAZY good GS/A rider. Since Rawhyde gets +/- 60 new bikes every year ...he would know if there’s a real issue or not.
    AndyTAZ and AdamChandler like this.
  4. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Krussel 2018 spoke issues had me afraid of two weeks of downtime since my dealer is 2 hours south and they only pick up and drop off in my area once a week.

When you ride 14K miles a year from April - November, 2 weeks of downtime sucks so I was trying to prevent it by proactively get it trued.

So this was preventative given the issues with 2018 spoked wheels.
    krussell likes this.
  5. Dug89

Dug89 Amenmoto.com

Oddometer:
    Just a thought, since spoked wheels have a bit of spring to them (which is why we like them), perhaps a bit of out of roundness is absorbed by the spring in the spokes. Maybe they are not perfect but we never feel it. Cast wheels are a different story.
    Gezerbike, AdamChandler and Dackrover like this.
  6. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ding, ding, ding...this!

Maybe I should have more aptly written, <ding>, <ding>, <clunk>...I mean there are probably STILL folks out there perfectly content riding around unknowingly with dozens of loose spokes on 2018s! Them thangs sure as sheet aint trued, much less even half-laced.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also, to be fair, you have a 2018. This is the model with the bad spoke issue.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    AdamChandler and Dackrover like this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I may regret this, but @woody's wheel works I’ll drop an email to Jill too so she can maybe send me a photo showing the warp if it can be visually seen.

Maybe Woody’s team wanted to jump in.

This is my email to them:
    I want woody’s to know I’m not trying to crap on a vendor. But if there’s a problem with BMW’s wheels Woody’s correcting en masse, BMW should get better in my opinion. But Woody’s should benefit from this as well with awareness around the problem.

EDIT: Woody’s has seen the thread. Admins, please don’t clean this up as I think they plan on replying to this inquiry tomorrow specifically related to 2018 GS Spoked wheels. Appears they aren’t too annoyed with me yet. :p I was told they’re working on some photos / videos for me.
    Switchglide12, andynj and Dackrover like this.
  10. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While crapping, it's best not to make a habit of "trying" too hard...that can lead to hemorrhoids! Just let the crap flow naturally ! :D
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Flowing naturally described my overal prolific narrative of over-sharing. So that’s this thread in a nutshell.
  12. jpbadonk

jpbadonk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Barty? If that is who you are thinking of, he'd know for sure as he maintains all those bikes. Gnarly rider too btw.
  13. jpbadonk

Oddometer:
    Late reply...I have had one interaction with Woody's and found them very very legit. I took some forged anodized car wheels to them (they are local) to see about repair and refinishing options. They advised that they could repair them but they wouldn't recommend reanodizing as I wouldn't be happy with the result. They said I should paint and it would be less expensive but there may be other companies that specialize in what I want...that could do a job I'd be happier with. So I went that route and found another business to fix my wheels - based on Woody's advice.

Personally I won't go as far as Adam did with new wheels and if my wheels have issues unrelated to my riding (ie, DEFECTS) I will insist BMW take care of it. I understand Adam being proactive around managing the downtime too though but I'd raise holy hell with my dealer to get things fixed if I found loose spokes just before I planned to leave for Deadhorse.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having built bicycle wheels for the Trek Factory downhill team in the 90s I can support Woody's claim. Few if any factory produced wheels are anywhere near perfect. Most rims are bent in the factory build process. That said the factory wheels are good enough for most riders. But a perfect wheel is so strong as to be relatively indestructible compared to the factory wheels. For perfection, you must begin with a straight rim.

Adam, I say it is money well spent.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. markpaulsm

markpaulsm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, of course. You can actually set the G-sensor sensitivities through menu settins or Wi-Fi app.

G-Sensor Event Recording: It will automatically activate emergency recording mode when detecting a collision. The LED indicator of wired remote will flash quickly.
    It will save a video file named " GSR 001 002 003….".

Manual Event Recording: Short press the emergency button during the recording to manually activate emergency recording mode. The LED indicator of wired remote will flash quickly.
    It will save a video file named "KEY 001 002 003….".

NOTE: Video files recorded in emergency mode are protected from being overwritten.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thank you@ FYI @Plawa and @JimVonBaden
    JimVonBaden and Plawa like this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    This echoes a lot of what I heard previously.

I agree with others that if I was a smart man, I'd tell myself...I have a 3 year warranty on BMW's world-class craftsmanship and keep road-side active on my bike and trust BMW to stand by their product for the first 3 / 36K miles of ownership.

That's what most people should do with a new GS and after 3 years, if they're keeping the bike, send the wheels to woody's for a refresh and ride the crap out of it for a few more years knowing your wheels are true and straight.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The return of some color!
    [​IMG]
    jpbadonk likes this.
  19. jpbadonk

Oddometer:
    Adam have you looked at any of the Twalcom protection stuff? Just wondering - I found it when looking for alternatives to $200+ Touratech plastic stuff like final drive protection.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Since there are still no wheels / tires on the bike, I can't go too wild. I realized that in order to re-install the coolant reservoir, I had to screw it into the air-box..well that's a near impossible task with the fuel tank on so I had to once again remove the fuel tank and then attach the coolant reservoir DOH.

I also noticed that the we have yet another wiring related fitment issue that may cause me to yank it all apart again because the air box won't easily align with that top bolt hole behind the triple tree. I put a towel around a mini crow-bar and pushed the air box forward away from the fuel tank and lined it up but when you put on the fairings, that opportunity to do that goes away and so I may yank it all apart and re-configure the wires a bit more...oh well again, no rush to get this done. Do it right! :)

I ordered these - https://advdepot.com/products/gs-sticker-red-r850gs-r1100gs-r1150gs-adventure-7

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and low and behold, this does not work..it's for '05-'12 GS bikes :( but $11, no big deal just gonna put them on my panniers. I want to find Red GS stickers that fit my tank embossed. Would these work? https://advdepot.com/products/hornig-gs-stickers-100mm
    -----
    Here are a few other pictures as the bike comes back together:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The final production model of the AltRider R1200GS Adventure Radiator guards for 2018 model year bikes came in. The pre-production model was not coated and was flat aluminum. I was put on back-order for a black set and I'll snap some photos tomorrow and share them here...should probably have just posted this tomorrow instead. I like the redesigned version of these though.
    mikegc likes this.