AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I visited the local powder coating shop and picked up some goodies:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bottom picture here is the AltRider Lower Crash bar in silver compared to the OEM GSA Upper Crash bars after being bead-blasted.

Here is how they looked before:
    [​IMG]

While I was convinced that I wanted to have the uppers coated black which I still may do, for now I've decided to keep them both with this matte grey look and fore-go upper black powder coating. I may change my mind down the road but I think it looks really good as-is.
    mikegc and Xsv like this.
  2. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Starting the weekend off right. Comparing the 2018 Radiator guards with their old version and installing them on the bike. Thanks @AltRider for letting me try the previous version un-coated and then putting me on the list for the black model when it shipped. I still paid for the final version of course.

(It's not in HD yet just give YT a bit more time)
    Dackrover likes this.
  3. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wanna ride this weekend?
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    this weekend?!?!? are you getting the same weather we are?

Besides, I don't have any wheels right now. They're in Colorado.

Edit...to those who didn't know me, that's a rich excuse "Can't ride this weekend, my bike's wheels are in Colorado" :p
    JimVonBaden and nk14zp like this.
  5. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks good. One of the first things that I shot was the passenger footpeg area that you displayed. The black frame and silver footpeg framework..:(

Adam, if you want to expand on your color options check out- https://www.prismaticpowders.com/
    I don't think your powdercoater would balk at shooting it if you brought it to him.
    I have some of this coming next week. I thought I might try it on my Altrider cylinder head protectors.

They have so many variations of every color you can imagine plus a variety of different wrinkles, etc. I figured "black frost" might look sort of cool to bring the black and grey/silver on my bike together.
    [​IMG]
    This little homemade oven may have just expanded what I can shoot. If the black frost turns out good I may hit the stock GSA luggage rack too.

oven.jpg
    AdamChandler and nk14zp like this.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Bead-Blasted Upper OEM Bars on the OEM metallic finished lowers just for those who are curious:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    That’s awesome, my guy has 40 different color samples on hand like as in 40 tubes to show kind of what they can do. I guess I’m a simple guy..hah.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    A week ago, I emailed Puig USA regarding any promotional discounts they may have for online marketing (install, photos, etc). Their response, "At this moment we are not looking for any videos for our social media, but thanks for reaching out."

My response, "You’re getting a video review anyway for free. I just like reaching out to companies before I order. It couldn’t hurt to ask."

:p

Here are a few photos. The video is being edited now. Fit and finish is exceptional. Well crafted. Negligible addition of weight. They look really beautiful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Switchglide12, mikegc and Subaruvich like this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The the accompanying 'install' video which I know isn't necessary for any of you

TimmyTheHog and mikegc like this.
  10. Wilks

Wilks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't do the two tone bars....IMO they would look ridiculous.....keep em both silver.....mucho better IMO.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    That's what I'll do for now. We'll see how it goes. i can always change up the color in the future.
  12. triman11427

triman11427 Mud is my chrome

Oddometer:
    Those reservoir caps are a great example of how the small details make a big difference. They look great.
    mikegc likes this.
  13. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Powder coating looks good, I've thought about blacking out some of the protection bars but mainly the pannier racks.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Seems like most people here do their own powder coating the old oven method. As a new homeowner, it'll be at least 5 more years before I replace my oven and retire it to the workshop...at that point, my bike will change colors like a chameleon...weekly color changes.
    Gadgetech likes this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    WB10A1206HZ89847

This is the VIN of my old R1200GSA (2017), NH Salvage. If anyone sees this pop up for salvage sales, let me know. Just curiosity really. Nothing on the bike I want.
  16. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just watched your crash vid. My wife heard you explaining things at the beginning of the video and asked...is he getting ready to crash??? I don't want to see that!
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and I plan on talking a bit more later about how 2019 isn't a feeling of fear about riding. Like I love riding but I certainly have developed an anxiety when I think about twisties. I wouldn't go as far as saying PTSD because that's greatly overused and insensitive to people who truly go through events that warrant such a diagnosis but I would be lying if I said I don't get anxious at the thought of taking my MSF refresher I signed up for in the spring or road course trainings I'm doing this year or just generally riding around Vermont on the bike. Low speed off roading and drops...no problem but I felt invincible at tail of the dragon last year but after my crash, which is a turn I've taken before and had no concerns at all about crashing, I feel like I'm watching myself ride when I do ride..disconnected from the bike a bit as if I'm in a dream. I think seat time and training is going to get me back to normal.

and it's been said earlier in this thread, from July - October of 2018, I observed in all of my videos progressively worse lane position as I got more and more lazy about it. Multiple corrections per turn, some cross-ups on my seating position and entering corners way too fast. I got lazy so a lot of this is just being proactive about using what I already know but I need to get my confidence back first.

I assume that every non-professional rider has similar reactions after a crash. that you just don't get back on the bike and go back to the way things were. Having Never been in a car crash before and never crashed my bike on tarmac like that, I'm nervous hopping back on.

Most people's reactions though are going to be "well stop modifying your bikes and ride" yeah, they're not wrong but this is a build thread and it's too cold to ride :p

Did you watch it on the television? That's certainly where I hope most people watch the videos since it's a bit more immersive. I don't really edit to cell phone size viewers despite that being the largest majority of view time
  18. DMack_762

DMack_762 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam, have you ever done a track day? You will learn more in one day on a track, with good, quality instruction that you will in years on the street. Knowing what your bike is truly capable of, really helps. Granted, the street is NOT the track... there are so many variables that come into play. The track is a perfect place to learn your bike, and it's full capabilities. Just something to think about. :-)
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good idea. Another option id Jim Ford street riding training. Very good to make you safe and competent.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I tried to do one last year but they required full leathers which I didn't have. it was a MaxBMW event and so I didn't go. I need to find one that allows textiles.