AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Longrider9

Longrider9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam, check out

https://www.tonystrackdays.com/category/9284/non-and-sportbike-days.htm

I did this a few years ago with 2 riding buddies. We were on a Honda ST1300, Yamaha FJ1200, BMW 1150RS.
    There were all kinds of bikes there, Harleys, Gold Wings, 1200gs"s, etc
    I believe I only had to pull fuse on my headlight , tail light and brake light.
    Full Face helmet and Klim Latitude riding suit.

Ken Condon is one of the instructors.
    DMack_762 and AdamChandler like this.
  3. Dr Twisty

Dr Twisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Adam.
    Amazing build thread. Thanks for sharing it. I'm really glad you're addressing the crash and your honest reaction to it--it's absolutely natural. I think it's really important to get proper training BEFORE doing a track day. Otherwise you'll just practice bad habits. I personally feel Lee Park's Total Control courses are outstandinghttps://www.totalcontroltraining.net/ . Ken Condon http://www.ridinginthezone.com/ is fantastic. These types of courses are by far the best money you can spend on motorcycling. They totally changed motorcycling for me. You'll love the sport so much more.
    Thanks again for the thread.
    Peter
    JimVonBaden and AdamChandler like this.
  4. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I'm still looking at new trainings (will check your links out) but I did register for an MSF refresher in March (earliest we can do it in NH). I'm looking to join the Maine and Yankee Beemers BMW clubs for an advanced riding class in April as well.

You can never have too much training and I really want to enjoy 2019 riding and get past the anxiety following the crash.
    mr_10brook, JimVonBaden and Dr Twisty like this.
  6. Dr Twisty

Dr Twisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMO, if you really want the best preparation for the twisties, MSF is not the course. Go with Ken Condon, Lee Parks, Jim Ford. You won't regret it.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    As the doctor of twisties, I can't disagree with you :)
    Dr Twisty, krussell and Subaruvich like this.
  8. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, @AdamChandler, I watched it on the TV. I watch most YT videos on there or on my iPad. I’ve watched my own on there and realized I need to make some improvements!
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Awesome, short term, it's more profitable for me to keep crashing based on youtube revenue :p
  10. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Woody's Wheels are not done yet (they told me Friday they will ship them out this coming week) so since I can' really do any serious wrenching since I'm balanced on a jack stand, I'm doing small stuff:

[​IMG]

lol small just just 21K lumens of light :p
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a ton of parts for the K75 re-build probably going to put $1200-$1500 into the bike to get it like new again.

and I'm still staring at a GS that isn't done. Once wheels are back and the painted rear luggage grid is back and Jet-Hot's exhaust work is finally complete, we can finish this build.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  13. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to the K rebuild. Make sure you post it all on Road Warriors!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Installed these Chinese made smoked wind deflectors. They're awful:

When this build is over, I'm going to put a $20 grab-box on the flea market of Chinese stuff that doesn't cut it for me personally but it'll be a $20 box of $150 worth of stuff that may or may not be of interest to people. Such as Aux light guards, these deflectors, stickers, protective bits, etc. I'd sell it all now but I'll probably find more to add to the box before the build is done!
  15. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Black plasti-dip on the underside of the OEM fogged plastics will be your friend. . .. Ask JVB how I know. . .. :rofl
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  16. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or California Superbike School. . .. :clap
  17. dyg

dyg dyg it Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did one in 2014. Had a great morning on the track on a BMW S1000R - a monster motorcycle. Was in full leathers, etc. and managed to make a mistake in the afternoon and broke my collarbone when I went low side. It was a good learning experience anyhow, but I would say this: wear an air vest. If I had had one, I would have walked away unscathed and not have had to need surgery with a metal plate and 6 screws and 3 month's rehab!! Then again, you might be a better rider than I was then! :rofl
  18. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do a subscriber giveaway contest on your youtube channel with your box of rando-Chinesia, build your channel out and encourage your loyal retail-link button smashers to keep smashing...probably net more than $20 long term.
  19. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Good idea!
    Dackrover likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Closest they come to me is Jersey for $525 a day. Very steep considering I'm already doing 3 days total of training (track day, off road & police training for civilians) for $100 after various discounts / scholarships through MOA and other programs I'm in through work/insurance, etc

I will keep it in mind though. I have budget for one more training in 2019 but not sure I'll do $500+ I will absolutely put it on my list for 2020.

I Plasti-Dipped my last OEM winglets. I thought it looked great!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It peeled slightly after 10K miles but easy to re-do every winter. Relative to the rest of my mods, re-spraying winglets is easy.

I'm actually not a give-aways kind of person not because I'm stingy but I feel really lucky that 5500 people choose to subscribe to my 10 hours of content a month on YouTube. I see some social media influencers' subscriber / follower counts boosted by weekly giveaways and it's nice for immediate gains in attention "re-post / share this video for a chance to win" and then you get 500 new people to subscribe who aren't following the story, don't understand why you don't use jump-cuts and fancy music and aren't really invested and it just opens up to more criticisms and the moment you stop doing free shit, they all leave and you're left with who you had before.

I know that's an extreme view but as I tell my girlfriend sometimes, I'd rather just throw xxxxx into traffic than deal with hagglers or fake friends. If someone's just hanging out with me because I'm opening a top 50 beer, I'd rather just not have them over and throw it into traffic. Some 'friends' aren't worth the trouble when making them wasn't an organic affair.

Sorry, I'm sure this wasn't exactly the response I should have given but it's a more deep seated issue I have in general. I don't go to networking events often but I gave a talk tonight at Dartmouth and after people were coming up asking questions and when someone walks up to you and looks at your name tag first, it's like "oh jeez, i'm up here" as if the company you work for and your title supersede you as a person. Your value is in how you can help them, not in who you are. I got really averse to that when I was in SF..networking just to climb the corporate ladder. Makes me feel icky.

anyway, giveaways, I'll just send it all to you :) way easier than asking people to subscribe to my channel so I can send them a box of plastic.

sorry for the loaded reply. You and I have a good understanding, I hope you know I'm not being defensive to you...just regarding giveaways.
    Carlisja and Chugiak like this.