AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've not been drinking, promise but I wanted to talk about the build thread but open up a slightly different topic and that's sponsorships.

On a recent interview with Adventure Rider Radio, a young lad from the UK was on a round the world trip. the host asked why he didn't have any sponsors for the trip, he lamented that he meets a lot of round the world travelers who regret sponsorships because there's that joy of putting on a free farkle that improves your trip..a larger gas tank, some panniers, LED lights or perhaps free hotel stays at a certain chain, etc but along the way, nothing is free. You're eternally in debt to them so when you stop for a night and don't stay in the free hotel so that you can instagram about it or post photos or if that Farkle lets you down, you can't complain and have to keep using it because it must be shown in all photos of your bike, etc....it makes the trip feel like you're just a model, an actor for their brand and no longer on your own journey

It's something that I take very seriously. Every single time I talk to a company that wants to give me a discount, do I feel shitty about it. Do I feel like a sell-out, will this cost me headaches later down the road if I were to accept this free piece of plastic instead of just buying it myself?

------

I've received discounts on things before based on my loyalty to a company. I don't consider those sponsorships. There's no implied back & forth, they just say "thanks for coming back, here's 5% off"

Then there are phone calls where I'm specifically told "here's a promotional discount. Thanks for sharing your experience online with our gear" and that sort of opens up a new conversation from my side where I explicitly make a promise to go to them first if I have an issue before going online about to allow them to fix it followed by a few ground rules from me that I have to disclose the discount with you all, I'm not making any promises on photos and no I won't join Instagram or Facebook and use a certain hashtag and share your referral code. If the companies ask for me to do something I wasn't going to do anyway like instead of me doing an install video, if I'm asked to host some Q&A or talk positively or post about it at least 10 times on this thread, I say no because to me, my time is valuable and I'd rather just pay full price than be in-debt to a company that isn't putting a roof over my head. I'll never back out of an agreement but if I have a 3 month work schedule that prohibits me from going to a specific rally or posting about their thing 10 times, I'll feel bad and end up paying for the Farkle on the back-end just to get myself out of owing someone my valuable time. $99 in free shit often isn't worth all you have to go through to make up for it.

That's just how I am. I want everyone to like me and I don't want to owe anyone anything.

----

Why am I posting this mumbo jumbo?

Well today, I accepted a role with Jesse Luggage as their first (to my knowledge) east coast ambassador. there very likely were east coast reps in the past but the company is under new ownership so I can't be sure of what was established in the past. This relationship is about 12 months old at this point. After I purchased jesse boxes used a year ago from JVB, I couldn't get the racks to fit so I bought them from Jesse directly. I put together the videos, paid full price and started sending in feedback and ideas. Then more ideas, then I bought more stuff...a new upper rack, lid racks, interior bags, I did some customizations and along the way I kept them informed.

Believe it or not, I do this with every company that
    A) is willing to listen to my rambling
    B) seems to give a shit about what their customer is saying
    C) Makes a product WORTH improving. If they're almost perfect and they want to make perfect gear, I'm thrilled to give feedback and share ideas

I always preface, "i'm just one guy talking here and I'm rarely representative of most riders" but if they pick up the phone, I'll offer feedback in the form of a phone call, videos, photos, etc.

In the Fall, after an extensive back and forth on top box mounts, I was asked to test some future designs and I said of course I'd love to "I'll even pay shipping!" and they laughed.

I went to order my Jesse boxes yesterday and I sent an email off asking if there were any future revisions or design changes where I should consider waiting before ordering. "I don't need boxes for 2 months. Should I wait?"

they received my email and called me today offering me some things for free, others for full price in exchange for basically continuing the relationship just as it has been.

I volunteered my bike at some rallies to be their booth bike, I offered to test anything they want and to meet up with any potential buyers in my area that wanted to see boxes. Again, this is all stuff I do anyway. I've lent my bike to companies before at Rallies. I don't need free stuff to do that.

I think in total, the value of the MSRP of their goods given to me is around $1,000 with me covering the cost of racks and mounts in exchange for just being myself. I made sure I was allowed to still cover their boxes in stickers and they know I'll still run Mosko bags on off-roading trips because I just like them on days that I know I"ll drop the bike every 10 feet. My mosko bags are affixed to Jesse's soft luggage mounting plates so technically still a sponsor plug :)

-----

So this is exciting. I never asked for it but I'm happy about it. I hope the effort I'm putting into this post shows how seriously I take 'free shit' and the self-awareness I have around sponsorships and the ground rules I have for myself and most importantly the respect I have for each of you to not dupe you into thinking "OMG I SUPER LOVE THIS NEW DIET TEA THAT MAKES MY BELLY THIN BUY IT NOW NOT A SPONSORSHIP" because you all deserve disclosure when you're seeing an advertisement...in fact, the FTC by law requires it :)

Anyway, I don't know when I'll get my boxes, I told them to call me to get my credit card info so I can pay for whatever when they do ship and if they see this post and decide I'm not worth their time, I'm buying their boxes anyway no hard feelings.

I think Jesse makes the best boxes on earth. I love them and they've survived some gnarly falls and crashes and kept going. So long as I'm able to afford them, I'll keep buying them on every bike. they're so good even if this post gets me banned from being an "ambassador"

PS: Puig, never replied to my email linking to the video I did. Guess they really didn't want any social media marketing at all. The did say as much in their email to me before I bought their reservoir covers and reviewed them anyway :) They do look really good on the bike!!!!
  2. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Last Build update of the evening.

@woody's wheel works has put my wheels in a box today and shipped them back to me. Total charged was $666.xx with shipping. Their note to me,

"once we got the wheels apart the rims were not as bad and he was able to true out the rear with out having to unwarp the rim."

..this is because I asked them why the price was less than their quoted amount. So only the front wheel needed straightening which is nice..saved me close to $100 I imagine? I asked again if they could post some photos here of my bent wheels. they've been really busy so I understand and obviously I just think it'll help their business on selling me wheel services to BMW owners.

These should be to me in 5 business days but alas, I'm going to Florida for a mini vacation next week so they'll have to sit at FedEx until I get home.
    mikegc and JimVonBaden like this.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    BTDT. In the long run, I say what I think. A couple of ADV Vendors are pissed at me, but my integrity is intact.
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. I will gladly pay in full later to any sponsor if in exchange, I have the ability to speak my mind if that's what keeps my character and honesty intact even if it's just strangers on the internet :) Thanks for helping me discover Jesse Luggage. The boxes you sold me really opened my eyes and I think they're amazing. I'm looking forward to using the new Challenger boxes and I hope they hold up just as well.
  5. Gadgetech

Gadgetech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I’m curious, do you have to report this stuff on your taxes?
  6. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Free (and/or discounted portions of) merchandise given by sponsors to their representatives in exchange for various forms of related advertising (directly and indirectly), is certainly subject to potential inclusion in an individual's taxable income on audit.
    AdamChandler and Gadgetech like this.
  7. Dr Twisty

Dr Twisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Adam. With all due respect (really), when you consider the amount of money you lost due to a preventable low side crash and the amount of money you are investing in Rosie, $500 for good rider training is a great investment and insurance. Plus it will give you confidence in the twisties and make riding way more fun. Going to a track day without prior training is really a bad idea imo. You’ll just practice bad habits. IMO, a good advanced rider course like Ken Condon, Lee Park or Jim Ford first will make a track day much more productive. My $0.2.
    Brokein2 likes this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Yep, another reason why sometimes it's just better to buy this myself.

Nothing worse than letting a sponsor down because you didn't talk about them enough then having to pay taxes on it in 6 months. Unfortunately, a huge majority of online media influencers never report the trips, gifts, etc to the IRS. They get payments via PayPal under $600 so they never get the 1099-MISC since the corporate sponsor doesn't have to and then who's going to be able to audit that except going through all of your instagram posts and adding up the value of everything. I guess an IRS agent could go through that but there are very few influences paying their bills with sponsored posts. You need critical mass like 1 million or more followers to make any real income.

Heck, how many millions who win $20 in vegas never report this on their taxes. Free tea, moisturizer cream and biodegradable straws that these half naked women on instagram hock aren't worth reporting really even though they really should.

There's also a question I need to ask of my CPA. Is the bike modifications and bike itself tax deductible. I only made $3800 on YouTube this year + $1800 on Amazon Associates. I already spent all of that on camera gear, computer and more hard drive storage which I did put as business expenses but if I made $20 on a video about clearwater lights, do I deduct the $1800 those lights cost from my income? I don't think it's right to do so because I'll never make on youtube what I put into the bike(s) but I guess legally I'm allowed to. I honestly don't know. Also honestly, deducting 50 grand in tech gear, bikes and Farkles from a side-gig that makes only $5600 a year might throw up some red flags with the government.

I know where you're coming from. I guess the alternative is to not take any instructive sessions at all (it's not a track day but a mix of classroom, instructor and free ride time) in addition to the two days of BMW Trainers conducting sessions at the National Rally and possibly a course in July in upstate New York.

I'm not saying your'e wrong but where I live, we don't really have anything you are referencing without riding 6-8 hours away. I sort of take what I can get. The nearest basic MSF is 90 minutes south, Advanced MSF 140 miles away and track day is 3 hours south. It's a 7 hour ride to New Jersey in addition to the money and hotel. This is the year of training and I'm doing a lot of it, far more I think than most motorcyclists do in their entire life (aside from BMW owners of course who seem to do training every weekend).
    Dr Twisty and mr_10brook like this.
  9. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Plus, it is more opportunity for videos$$!
    Dr Twisty and AdamChandler like this.
  10. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Adam, now that you have established some cred with Jesse Luggage here’s a thought/suggestion.
    Not sure about others but I would really like to see a tool canister/box that would be a plug and play for the Jesse bags and hoops.
    Something that would fit inboard between the bag mount and tire. My guess would be several Jesse owners would jump on board.
    Just Sayin’.
    Fite
  11. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a torque wrench from your Amazon list. Thanks for putting that together.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I used a GS Emotion one on mine, later sold to Adam.
    [​IMG]
    Minor fab to make it work.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

Whoa thanks!

It's certainly something I'd love. I don't usually rock boxes unless I'm going on an overnighter or to the grocery store so being able to keep tools on me at all times w/o having the boxes on would be awesome!
  14. Chugiak

Chugiak Lechien

Oddometer:
    I did the Lee Parks after my crash (50 mph head-on in a blind corner with a Impala and 72 old driver) that was similar to yours (my bike was not ridable after the event) and it was helpful in getting over the apprehension and I get nervous still but a little fear is okay, it's a jungle out there...

Like the build and post...thank you for sharing Adam, only cost me about $300 so far...
  15. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Thanks Adam, I too like to leave my cases home on many short trips but I'm a bit uncomfortable leaving tools and particularly tire repair gear back in the garage. A conversation with the folks in Phoenix would be greatly appreciated.

JVB, thanks for the photo.

Fite
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Only $300? I need to add some lens-flare or scantily clad ladies to my photos and drum up some more spending! hah.
    WADE-O and JimVonBaden like this.
  17. mr_10brook

mr_10brook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just registered for the BMW Rider Off Road and Authority training at the MOA National as both of those look cool and the price is right. I am thinking about the Streetmasters due to the MOA Foundation incentive but would need to leave home a day earlier to take the Thursday session.

Has anyone on here taken the Streetmasters based on the West Coast?

I guess I have never heard of a lot of the other riding schools out their as I have been involved ( RiderCoach) with MSF branded classes here in Indiana since 2002.
    My opinion is you can not have too much training or practice but also training does NOT guarantee your safety on or off the road.

I discovered your build thread shortly after acquiring my 2018 Red GSA ( instead of Africa Twin) and bought stuff I did not know that I needed. ( ha ha) MAM handguards, Denali, hexezCAN, Dynanmic Motorad, BDCW skid plate, ect... I am afraid to to add up all the money ( maybe 2k + not counting panniers that already had) that I have spent but it is nowhere near the $16k plus that you have invested. WOW.

I have not watched your Youtube videos but if I do, will you get some pocket change from that. I will gladly watch them if you do.

I hope I have mentioned enough stuff to stay on topic of this thread. Maybe I will see you in Lebanon, TN

I also hope that I don't have to buy many more things to my GSA named Wanda.
  18. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah this is what I've been waiting for the entire time! Just make sure the product she's holding doesnt detract from the art.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Made this up using two photos I had handy but unfortunately, I took them on two separate dates. ThanksPhotoshop!

[​IMG]
    bb82bird, Huckwheat and mikegc like this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Machineart Moto MudSling for R1200GS Adventure