AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    My monthly basement clean up is complete...but this time because I have other things afoot :)

I haven't shot any pictures with the SLR since I put the fairings and tank back on so these photos are overdue:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, after a couple of years of moving Battery Tenders between bikes and occasionally out to my car to keep the battery charged up and crank-amps up on those days where it's -20F, I purchased this beauty:
    [​IMG]

Now two of the three bikes can stay charged and I can move my other tender outside to stay hooked up to the car (winter-time storage).

PS: the Dual Battery tender is one of those things I purchased using Amazon Affiliates revenue thanks to all of you who bought things through my link store on YouTube. It's nice to put that extra money to good use.
    pops and deadflagblues like this.
  2. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The Moto Power Puck is made by two Inmates - https://advrider.com/motopowerpuck-an-inmates-wireless-solution-to-phone-charging-on-the-go/

I purchased one for $65 which is steep for a Qi charger (wireless phone charging standard) but it is waterproof and most importantly, this is a small shop and they're based in USA. The issue was, that when I installed the power puck on my Perfect Squeeze iPhone Mount ( https://advrider.com/f/threads/perfect-squeeze-off-road-phone-mount.1144781/ ), I couldn't put the phone in since the PowerPuck adds 3/4".

Bummer but luckily, @bb82bird was at my place doing work and said "meh, I can fix this no problem" he ran off back to New York with my iPhone holder and got to work. A few days later, He sent me this picture:

[​IMG]
    I wrote more about it in this post - https://advrider.com/f/threads/perfect-squeeze-off-road-phone-mount.1144781/page-48#post-36843981

-----

I just got his package in the mail safe and sound and mounted it up to the bike. Now, I can put my iPhone in the perfect squeeze holder and it immediately starts charging (when the bike is running). More testing is needed to find out if this wireless charger will work for me long term. How rain-proof is it? Will the adhesive I use hold up? Will it send enough power that I can leave the iPhone's screen on and TomTom's mobile app open without losing battery charge on my phone?

All of these are unknown but first, some photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is not the final adhesive, just a mock-up. I'll go with heavy duty 3M stuff eventually. I also have to manage the charging cable to allow steering movement without pinching or pulling.

You can purchase the MotoPowerPuck from @CoastieAM or here - https://motopowerpuck.com/shop/
    Perfect Squeeze can be purchased from @Mondo-Hondo or here - http://www.hondogarage.com

I also did a short video:

Time will tell if the MotoPowerPuck works for me over thousands of miles of on and off road, rain, some snow, etc but it is working now and is charging the iPhone perfectly.
    bb82bird likes this.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    There will be two of them as door prizes, and at least one of the owners, at my Tech Day, see sigline.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Is this where I publicly admit to going? Haha. I hope to make it for the first time. Unfortunately, there won’t be anything left to install on my bike.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You never know. We may discover that one must have that you do not have! :-)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    That is looking great, Adam. More pics!

:D
    AdamChandler likes this.
  7. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam .. you need a bike table. I bought a couple of those harbour freight ones and fixed two $20 Home Depot furniture dollies under them so as I can move the bikes almost anywhere when working / not working on them. They now fit snuggly against any wall when not being worked on. I have a 20' x 10' storage unit in Miami that I can get the GSA, 1250RT and a Roadking in there quite comfortably along with tool drawer/ worktop and a 6' storage cabinet for riding gear etc. I pull the RT out when working on either of the other 2. I added a 15l de-humidifier on a timer with a built-in pump and put the hose so it protrudes just under the sliding door. Hate clutter and disorganization. The unit costs me $200 per month but is my only option as my apartment has underground parking but no space to work comfortably - the upside is that now the bikes are protected from any Hurricanes which decide to blow through.
    The tables are great but you need to center the bike or they tend to wobble a little. Also if you buy one try and get the older one if they have it as they seem stronger and have double eyelets for tying the bike down - not a big deal as I just drilled the one that came with only one pair of eyelets and added a second and third pair.

I blame JVB and you for all of my additional costs as he convinced me to do the majority of my own maintenance and you the additions. I spend more time at my storage unit than my apartment !. Thanks to the both of you for introducing me to the other enjoyable side of riding.

Why did you move away from the double take mirrors ? .. any specific reason.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Come to think of it, I don't have a JVB Sticker on my Panniers yet :) I'll even let you install it for me because I always have bubbles under my stickers.

Looks great even without wheels! :p
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I do need a workbench. It's sorely needed! I setup most of my mods on the floor. However, I think I'll have another photo tonight that will only show a workbench is not in my future at this point when you see it. As for dollies, that was on my list to buy before I started modifying the GS but I never got around to it. I need 2 of them actually.

JVB helping you save money and me helping you spend it. Perfect combo. I agree, if you do your own routing maintenance, you can save enough to buy some fancy LED lights. It's a win-win!

I really love the DoubleTake mirrors. They've treated me well on multiple bikes. Enough people kept hinting that the Touratech ones are better so I bought them and if they vibrate a lot or flop around, I'll go back to Doubletake.
    regnaDkciN and JimVonBaden like this.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The two ladies in my life (Rosie and my Girlfriend) are a little annoyed that I brought another woman (motorcycle) home to take up more space in my tiny house.

[​IMG]

seriously...I'm out of space. If you gave me a a pit bike, I wouldn't know where to put it.

Here's how empty it was looking last night:
    [​IMG]

----

Don't worry admins, this is still a GS build thread. The farkles will continue next week!!!!
    Doug Fremder and Carlisja like this.
  11. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice looking K RT !

JR356
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. Chugiak

Chugiak Lechien

Oddometer:
    nice clean up Adam, hope to see this beauty in-person, it is so fun to watch, thanks.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    K bikes are cool
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. toramorgan

toramorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mike please post some pics.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was scoping out Exhaust Video's for the GSA as I have the exact same bike as you do, or will have come Friday when I pick it up. Anyhoot when I finished with your install of your exhaust UTube Video I noticed at the smoking stage, there is some rust inside that new Slip on. Not sure if it just dirt or rust, at the 9:34 mark of the video. If the welds are rusted I would be sending that 1 back.

AdamChandler likes this.
  16. Wilks

Wilks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So THATS your bike lift?

Your camera has better support. lol
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 - $399
    +
    MHXPRO-3W X-PRO - $132

As opposed to
    $25 jack stand + $50 lift Jack

Yeah, you're not wrong.
  18. Wilks

Wilks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just messin wit ya.....be a shame for those expensive farlkes to go slammin to the ground in a tip over.
  19. Starstruck

Starstruck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam, did you investigate/choose a handlebar RAM mount for your phone?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. regnaDkciN

regnaDkciN crown bearing @ 60k, clutch @ 69k,HyperPros @ 70k Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know.......it wouldn’t hurt to put some neutral gray curtains over your shelves to make it easier to see the details of your build. (just sayin cause you are a detail oriented type engineer)
    AdamChandler likes this.