AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Bud...I remember some discussions we had had where you thought you'd build out your next GS a bit lighter than the TripBlack. Guess that thought went out the window!!!!:muutt

Rosie Red's surname ought to be Abrams!

:ksteve
    Boondox and AdamChandler like this.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bad idea to strip plastic. You will mess it up way too easily. Proper prep of the factory paint, and a good paint, and it will not come off.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I should be clear. I asked the body shop to paint it black. I hope they did it right!

Yes and you're right but I think in my mind, I felt like Black Betty was "heavy" because of all of the trial and error of that build. I bought and added a lot of stuff that I just removed after the fact and threw out / sold or some stuff just broke the first time I dropped it. Getting the rotopax thing and panniers and lighting and storage and tank bags and ergo right took a lot of hit and miss tries until I finally arrived at the parts I really liked

so in that regard, Rosie is pretty linear in everything I'm doing...it's going to be a heavy bike. So glad I have the dirt bike for real off roading now.
    Dackrover, mikegc and JimVonBaden like this.
  4. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam .. out of curiosity did you ever use the Rotopax ? .. have seen another posting where a GS had rotopax on the rear.

They must add a lot of weight when full and a loss of space when they are empty.
  5. Dackrover

Oddometer:
    I like them and use them (1 gallon water on top of 1 gallon fuel...more rarely just a 2-gallon fuel), installed to the AltRider rear plate -- but my bike is a standard GS so I have more need of them with my smaller gas tank.
    jaystonewee likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Hey mike! I would add Rotopax to every bike going forward if I'm camping off it. The 1 gallon water jug alone even on a GSA is awesome. I use at least 3/4 a gallon every night / morning in food, tea, coffee, hands washing, etc.

Fuel, I've never needed fuel on my GSA. I've carried it on most weekend trips and once did I use my fuel to top someone else off but I've never personally needed it.
    Mikey Mike likes this.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Technically a farkle but this really cleans up the handlebar:

Basically, removing two RAM Mounts the strap to the handlebar and replacing two upper clamp bolts with RAM Balls instead.
    shreksbrother likes this.
  8. Dackrover

Oddometer:
    @4:57 Adam says, "if you're going solo, going naked...you've got your two balls...."

Yeah, my mental age is apparently ~12 yrs. old today...sorry, just made me chuckle when he said it.
    Dogslobber and AdamChandler like this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I actually throw those jokes in a lot and you're the first person who have commented.
    Dackrover likes this.
  10. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Because the rest of us are not 12.

We do snicker now and then! :-)
    Boondox and AdamChandler like this.
  11. Dackrover

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Eta: fixed image embed
  12. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love the floor jack and 2 by 4's.Any money left for a proper bike lift?
  13. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
  14. Dackrover

Oddometer:
    Copyright has been waived, so you are free to use that image as fair representation in that GS thread where folks recently discussed your hesitance / fears of posting faces, on risk of warrants being issued, etc. ;-)

Eta: I fixed the original embedded image.
  15. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    51849519_1458379670963333_8589520634462076928_n.jpg
  16. LookingHard

LookingHard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam,

Did you once say and or imply that you had a FLIR setup? If my mind is not deceiving me would you mind explaining what you did and what you used?

If I have you confused with another rider just chalk it up to my probable dementia.......

LookingHard
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Not me but I'd like to get one but it's a bit pricey and I have such limited use - https://www.flir.com/products/flir-one-pro/

so of course it's on my list :p but I've been using one of those cheap laser thermometers - https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-774-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY
  18. Possibly Certifiable

Possibly Certifiable Verified Bing-nut

Oddometer:
    I'm a volunteer firefighter, my LSD department has a thermal camera that cost us in the vicinity of $10000 just to have it overhauled so costs are relative. :lol3 That said when my nephew was staying with us back before Christmas, he managed to seriously over fire the wood furnace. No harm done but I borrowed it for a couple hours to make sure that there were no breaches and smouldering bits where the chimney went through the attic. Was a great load off my mind, not waiting for the smoke detector to go off in the middle of the night for an attic fire.

It also came in handy for this!
    [​IMG]

Always told my wife she's hot stuff. Finally have proof!
  19. Finn1969

Finn1969 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Kaiserslautern, Germany (formerly El Paso Texas)
    Adam I read your previous thread regarding the Sargeant Seat and was wondering if you ever had a passenger? I want to upgrade my seat so the wifey can enjoy, but haven't heard any passenger reviews yet; can you provide any feedback? Thank you sir.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    My GF loves the Sargent seat. She rode a lot on the stock seat then when I upgraded, she never complained about long rides anymore. It's worth it but I wish the pillion was a little less expensive. I have heated front seat but non-heated rear given how little she does ride with me.