AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    FINALLY: @AltRider's Crash Bars & Skid Plate for R1200GS Adventure. This is the full kit allowing the user to marry the crash bars and skid plate together on a centralized bracket system. It includes a T55 driver which is really helpful for that pesky engine bolt and it includes a hardware kit that allows the user to join up the OEM Upper crash bars and lowers to maintain their OEM Aux lights if they choose. AltRider does not produce a GSA upper crash bar but they do make one for the GS. I guess they feel that enough people have uppers on their bike that it's more effective to just sell a piece that allows us to keep our functional uppers.

The only modification I made was sandblasting my OEM upper crash bars stripping the metallic finish so it matches perfectly with the lowers. I think it came out fantastic!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-----

The build quality is great. These are made in USA out of Seattle. AltRider is a small company and I've broken/bent/destroyed a lot of crash bars. The Altrider bars survived 20 tip overs / crashes on my last GSA including a 40MPH slide on tarmac which totaled my bike where the bars themselves were still usable minus a few less ounces due to being shaved off on tarmac:
    [​IMG]

and here is the left side after a 15 foot slide on grave in Labrador:
    [​IMG]

-----

Photos of the individual components:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

---
    On the bike:
    [​IMG]
    They're off-set in these photos because that's just how the cylinder heads are positioned
    [​IMG]

Installed:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

------

First time you install these, it will probably take 4 hours total. That's amateur time, taking your time, using a heat gun on bolts and possibly grabbing a friend and having a beer with them to help you undo that pesky engine bolt that requires two wrenches + heat gun. It took me 4 hours total and this is my 2nd time doing it but I was also occupied with video & photography work and talking to people on the live-stream.

The Skid plate is compatible with Akrapovic and I believe Remus headers but the Akra Springs get in the way and you need to re-install them with a pick through the holes in the skid plate. You can remove the headers with the crash bars installed and you can opt to use other Skid Plates or Crash bars but the integration of the Crash Bar + Skid Plate combo is fantastic and it's worth grabbing both.

There are other capable skid plates that can hold their own against Altrider's but I don't believe there is as capable Crash Bar as AltRider's.

The links below here are referral links (first time I've used these in this thread) but below the referral links are direct links to AltRider for which there is no referral. Moderators, please PM me if this is against the rules, I have started using Amazon Referrals to fund bike work slightly. It's a nice extra bonus for this kind of documentation.

Skid Plate Only: https://amzn.to/2EmlqD2
    Crash Bars Only: https://amzn.to/2U4UKMA
    AltRider.com Crash Bars + Skid Plate: https://bit.ly/2GSFw9o
    Tools, Heat gun, supplies and other equipment available here: https://www.amazon.com/shop/adamchandler

---

For the video portion, I didn't think a one-size-fits-all model would work. So I created a 32 minute install video for people who purchase Crash Bars + Skid Plate for their R1200GS Adventure and want all of the info. There's also a 9 minute quick edited version that removes all of my rambling but you might not get a tip that I think is important. Finally, if you purchase only the Crash bars or Skid Plate, I made videos for those as well:

---
    I wanted to thank Altrider for giving me a small discount (they still Made money off me) in exchange for instructional videos. They gave no guidance on how to do these videos or things to say (script) and I am not required to say good things about their products.

Why didn't I make a video last time I installed these? I did sort of but the install was marred with issues due to my lack of experience and lack of following instructions and I did pay full price for that set and AltRider was very good about post-sales support back when I was just another customer but when I finished the installations, I felt like it just wasn't going to be of much help to anyone. The lighting was bad, it was shot over the course of 2 months instead of 1 day and the entire thing wasn't very cohesive. I'm happy to finally be able to document this for others.

Final Plug for people interested in the Machinery Moto X-head, I made this thread that tracks compatibility between that head guard and crash bars - https://advrider.com/f/threads/machine-art-moto-x-head-crash-bar-compatibility-thread.1336606/
  2. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Looks like she's ready for battle Adam. I like the black 3M reflective applique' on the forks.
    Those Clearwaters on the lower forks look pretty vulnerable though...
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I thought the same thing when I installed them there on my last bike but they took a lot of abuse in that space. There were a few off-road drops that I was certain the Darlas would be damaged. No issues.

This is the final lighting setup for 2019. I just need to take it outside and do an alignment of the lights to make sure they're not pointing up or sideways

[​IMG]

• 1xErica @ 6,000+ lumens
    • 1xSevina @ 7,500+ Lumens
    • 2xDarla @ 4,000+ Lumens
    • OEM Aux lights likely around 1200 each (2400 Lumens)
    • OEM LED Headlight I'm going to guess 4,000? I have no idea

23,900 Lumens on all brights but lumens are a rough figure overall to measure. and yes I do run all lights at full power at least every day I ride since I regularly ride past dark in VT/NH where we have no street lights and no traffic around me except animals.
    russ4ru and mikegc like this.
  4. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    I think you are contributing to global warming with everything set on high! ;)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    That and if I also turn the heated seat on high, the amperage on the battery drops from 13.9 average to around 12.1 and will stay there but I've learned that I just keep the heated seat on low if I am in an area where I'll be running high beams.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Hit 5500 subscribers which is honestly pretty mind-blowing considering how niche the content is.
    [​IMG]

I don't know what I'm going to do for the 1,000th video:
    [​IMG]

This Thread will soon enter a maintenance mode where all modifications are done and I'll answer questions about the bike / build and update you all as things fail or are thrown out. We're very close to the end.

Quoting this post from 2/14. We're very close to done! Still another month at least before I get to ride.
    deadflagblues likes this.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Suggestion. Do not try to top your most viewed video! :deal
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    For some reason, that's my Golf R driving around in snow:

[​IMG]
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know I meant MC post! :-)
    AdamChandler and Dackrover like this.
  10. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think he was suggesting NOT crashing again on film, which seems to be when your channel picked up steam in adding subscriptions! At least hold off and time that for NEXT winter's project. :photog
    AdamChandler and JimVonBaden like this.
  11. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Nicely done. Looks good. Not intending to hijack the build thread, but it always puzzles me why riders feel the need to mount cell phones and Inreach devices on the bike. I carry both always, but tucked away in my jacket or pants pockets. Batteries last ALL day and I can make or answer calls via my Sena 30K, but don’t do so very often. If I crash and get separated from my bike (been there, done that at high speed) I want the inreach within reach (hey) and not barreling down the highway attached to the bike. Comments? I’ll shut up now...
    ExxonValdez and Dackrover like this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Last off-topic posts probably before mods step in but that video did 'help' but I think a lot of them have already left because they realized my videos aren't fun or engaging or sensationalist. Just a boring old guy talking about bike mods and I don't know how to do wheelies.

Here's 2018:
    [​IMG]
  13. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have a graph for crashing too? Wonder if they parallel each other?
    Asking fir a friend.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    This thread is going to go down in history for being the best place to thread-jack outside of the basement.

----

First, I'm very anal about my ABCs (always be charging) I keep everything fully charged at all times. 99% charger drives me up the wall...now I'm not impractical though meaning if I'm out solo, the cell phone and Inreach are both on me because if I fly over the handle-bars, I want them on me to use. But on group rides or around town where I'm with people, I keep things mounted front & center. The Inreach is only on the bike if I'm touring or going off-road.
    Solo Moto likes this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Here's the crash-specific analytics:
    [​IMG]
  16. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those faithless whores!

Well...don't forget us OTHER old boring guys -- who've been watching right on, since before Google "recommendations" of a sudden gave that 15 minutes of sensationalism to the channel!
    JimVonBaden and AdamChandler like this.
  17. Possibly Certifiable

Possibly Certifiable Verified Bing-nut

Oddometer:
    I'll weigh in with another perspective. Trackers stay on my person. Period. I would rather not have a cell phone on my bars but it's the price I have to pay. I work in IT and as such I am on call more often than not. Before I got a Sena unit, my riding was severely limited. If I felt the phone buzz in my pocket, I had to pull over, check who called and return the call. That's IF I felt it buzz.

Now that I have the Sena I still need to be able to screen my calls. I don't want to be answering every telemarketer and spam call any more than I want to listen to my kid sister whine about how broke she is and I should send her some money. This way, when I am on call, I can decide to answer or not and not park the bike for weeks on end.

Now, the other problem, I have to stick with cell coverage. No going into the back of beyond while on call. On the gripping hand it's better than parking the bike 2/3 of the riding season....
    AdamChandler and Solo Moto like this.
  18. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Anal or not, it may be worth your while to research this ABC topic a bit further... According to few manufacturers I complained to about short-er battery life in any of my devices in question, it ain't good at all for batteries to be fully charged at all times - ymmv... They'd prefer to see cycles of almost fully discharged battery and then charged and so on and on... After all, that knowledge can be useful tomorrow or day after as we embrace hybrid/electrical GSs knockin' on our doors (per other thread)... :clap

Thread hijack over - and now we can go back to regular "Rosie Red" programming, already in progress... :lol3
    Dackrover and AdamChandler like this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Well, you know me. When you change all of your electronics every 12 months, battery concerns aren't really something I've ever had. BUT, Apple themselves (for which I'm their biggest non-enterprise customer) states you're safe to leave their batteries charged only discharge for long term storage - https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

This has been my argument with everyone. If I pick up every phone call and it's a telemarketer I can't hang up on like a looping message, I'm stuck and have to stop, take gloves off, pull phone off and then hang up. My Sena allows voice answer but not voice hang up. Having the phone front & center I know what that notification sound was and what the notification is. quick glance, anxiety doesn't build up until I'm pulling off to see what the notification was.

This is the only time Sena and such backfired was when Apple added Emergency SOS. I got a spam call on a new iPhone, couldn't figure out how to hang up, hit the power button 5 times, SOS activates and I'm now on the phone with 911

20. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Sadly, yes I do know you... :jack J/K... :lol3

I don't change any of my electronics every 12 months so I look at the topic from a different perspective - point taken... Beside that, was saving pennies for new Rolf (one with virtual instrument cluster and navigation in it :wings) so my electronics must last a bit longer...

:thumb
    AdamChandler likes this.