AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  2. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Did it buddy, did it already!! Mk 7.5 is everything Mk 7 is and much more... :rilla

Rosie is beautiful and you should wrap it up soon so you can devote some attention to Rolf too!! :happay
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. texas_aggie

texas_aggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam, regarding this, I've always found the Sena remote to take up too much room with the stock hand guards in place. Are you saying that the MAM handguards include an extra spacer that adds extra width to the bars?
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    YEP! [​IMG]

Full size image (huge) here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamjackson/46414551364/sizes/o/

K75RT and an R1150R are my next projects. Only thing on the ROLF in 2019 is Full suspension overhaul.
  5. Mikey Mike

Mikey Mike Blowing Bubbles Supporter

Oddometer:
    Solo Moto .. I use my Samsung phone as a back up navigator (Gallileo Pro / Guru Maps Pro) because it works when there is no valid GPS signal, hence I have that on the bars - but I understand what you mean. My Garmin Inreach+ is either attached to my riding shirt or jacket just in case the bike and I part company.

I did just lose a Samsung S7 as it vibrated loose when I was riding in Australia 6 weeks ago ! .. the road I was on was like a washboard. I was standing on the pegs and so I never noticed it had even dropped off until I arrived at the hotel.

Lesson learned to ensure the phone is 100% tight and NOT in a protective case - I use the perfect squeeze holder and as the name implies it is perfect unless you try and clamp the phone whilst it is in a case - the grip is not as good as you are clamping the case and not the phone.

AdamChandler and Solo Moto like this.
  6. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to tagging along on those builds... :clap

As for R1150R, if I were you, I'd consider '03-'04 R1150 Rockster (white limited edition or copper or lime, all stripped) as a sportier version of regular beakster - it has few tasteful upgrades taken from R1100S and has always been my favorite from that era...

:thumb
    AdamChandler likes this.
  7. Doug Fremder

Doug Fremder 2017.5 BMW R1200GS Triple Black

Oddometer:
    Wow. You can probably sell the snowblower once you take Rosie outside and aim towards any snowbank.
    russ4ru and AdamChandler like this.
  8. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    The Altrider stuff is really well made...and tough. I have the head guards.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    AltRider Universal Header Guards Installed:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

mikegc likes this.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Housekeeping, I've updated post #3 which links directly to mods with an ongoing cost estimate. Costs are MSRP. I don't disclose on that breakdown discounts from partnerships, marketing or parts I acquire used/closeout or via coupons. So the figure is inflated by about 15% I'd wager. Like the Sargent I paid $300 and listed on that post for $1099 which is MSRP. I think it's the best way to present it should someone want to (stupidly) re-create my build:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/adam...adventure-build-thread.1343485/#post-36077799
  11. Milekone

Milekone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was just about to say that. Another believer here of taking your adv bike to the track. You'll never look at it the same. My Super 10's clutch would overheat as it's not a race bike, all I did was run every other session. My KTM doesn't have that problem. I used MotoZ Tractionar GPS tires.
    DMack_762 and AdamChandler like this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Doing a lot of training this year. A track day among other trainings is one of them.
    DMack_762 likes this.
  13. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Don't be so hard on yourself... You should do as you please as that's part of the fun, like every hobby is!! :D

:thumb
    nk14zp and AdamChandler like this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Body shop called...this just keeps getting better. I dropped off around January 5th this piece at my local body shop:
    [​IMG]

I asked they paint it matte black. "No problem, it'll be next week..$100 roughly"

I called back 4 weeks later (1st week of February) no movement. "next week" okay fine. I've called back every week since and they finally this Monday told me it'd be ready today (Friday)

----

They called me just now 2Pm on Friday "We just tried to paint it and it's having a reaction"

I have no idea what they're talking about but their solution is that they now have to treat it like a brand new part, so instead of a re-paint, they have to strip it, cover it, then prime with a matte grey then finally paint it. They're saying it's going to be closer to $200 now and will most likely be done Monday afternoon.

I am mostly posting here just so I can get clarification on what the heck a reaction would be to an automotive paint on painted silver plastic?
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your bodyshop guys sound like the Three Stooges. It is a simple part to paint. I wonder what paint they tried to use?
    Dackrover likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I'm actually thinking of just grabbing it now and not paying them anything. again, no idea what reaction means but that's a scary word to hear when dealing with a $300 plastic German part.

....well $90 on eBay but still.

I rattle-canned mine last year and had some chipping but nothing substantial. Took all of 15 minutes to tape off sections and spray paint the top.
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Likely the "reaction" was from them using acetone or similar on the plastic, partly melting it. Or some kind of stripper, same issue. ABS doesn't like harsh chemicals.

I'm betting last time your prep was not adequate. Likely you didn't give it a good enough sanding, or degreasing.
    nutz4twisties and Dackrover like this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I didn't prep at all. I covered the emissions / torque spec stickers with painters tape, removed the rubber pieces on the top and started painting it :p
    mikegc, JimVonBaden and NoVa Rider like this.
  19. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    NoVa Rider and Dackrover like this.