1. eNewsletter Sign Up

AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that will do it. A good degreaser, 400-500 grit sandpaper, wipe down with rubbing alcohol and two light, one medium coats of paint, done.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. The list of paint types is pretty long(The shop knows this) but a shop that can't replicate a shade tree rustoleum paint job should close the doors.
  3. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go get the part now before they fuck it up even worse, pay $0 of course...prep as Jim said and paint it yourself.

I am certain it's actually just a general state of affairs and reflective of the (lack of) quality offered by so many "professional" shops out there...but it's more fun to poke you teasingly as follows: man Adam, you sure do seem to have a real talent at times for finding utter jokers to work on your stuff!!! :bash
  4. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's just this part of New hampshire in general. We have 2 body shops in town, one is god awful, the other isn't. Our best sandwich shop is subway and our mexican food is taco bell (attached to a KFC). at least we have a starbucks now! Coming up in the world. Now if I could get a BMW dealer that isn't 2 hours away, that'd be awesome.

I would have bought an Audi years ago if it wasn't so far away to the dealership. Oh god and don't even get me started about cell service. We still have this mini-van in town that calls himself a taxi. You call him and he's always pissed off. the van is almost falling apart. Can't wait to get Uber and join the rest of you all.

It's basically be the best part of a country to own a dual sport though (second to colorado of course)
  5. Dackrover

Oddometer:
    I hear you...the price paid for living amongst natural beauty of the quasi-wilderness. Well worth it, imo!
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    can't wait to go riding with you this Summer! we gotta sync up on summer plans. see where we're aligning.
    Dackrover likes this.
  7. Dackrover

Oddometer:
    Yeah man, sounds great!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. Menoche

Menoche Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam,
    Have you weighted the bike before so you can compare the added weight of every farkles? :)
    Phil
  9. Possibly Certifiable

Possibly Certifiable Verified Bing-nut

Oddometer:
    Geeze Adam. Sure you aren't describing New Brunswick? That said my BMW dealer is three hours away, and God awful. Last recall work I rode the 7 hours to your dealer to get competent people to do the work.

On the other hand rush minute is tolerable and it does promote self reliance.... Guess I'm going to have to learn how to put a roof on this summer.
    AdamChandler and nk14zp like this.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I did initially. I stopped. I need to find a truck scale.
  11. russ4ru

russ4ru All Time n00b.

Oddometer:
    $200!!!... its just ridiculous.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why would he add weight to the bike before weighing it? :dunno
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    While I don't speak Je-ne-sais-quoi spoken in Quebec, I think the previous poster meant to say that he'd be interested in knowing how much weight @AdamChandler added to his Rozie-Toes-farkle-magnet with all of the farkles put on, as compared to "naked" GSA weight before farkling began... Or, so I translated that question - ymmv... :D
    Menoche and AdamChandler like this.
  14. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Anything Adam (and the Scooter Girls) threads are my go to daily entertainment. Just plain good stuff, especially during off season... :beer
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. Menoche

Menoche Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, forgot the darn comas :p
    Adam is adding so much gear that it will for sure add a few pounds. I hope he counted it when calibrating his suspension.
    Phil
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Since 18, I've added an average 5 pounds a year to my personal weight so when specifying shocks, I had to account for
    • My physical weight
    • Pillion weight
    • How damn heavy the Klim Badlands + base layer + Forma boots + Modular helmet are
    • Also about 30 pounds of Farkles
    • and finally how often I ride with full luggage and tank bag
    Ted Porter arrived at around 260 pounds solo ATGATT Rider weight and the spring rate is basically 260 - 400 depending on where the ESA preload height goes. While me + GF + Farkles + Full luggage is around 500 pounds, the fact that I mostly ride solo outweighed the maximum preload spring rate.

So short story is my shocks are equipped for Farkles primarily because my bike is equipped for full luggage and/or girlfriend
    Menoche likes this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    As for raw farkle weight, remember that almost (over 90%) of all Farkles on this bike required removing something first. I removed a lot of OEM parts to add Farkles and while I'm certain that every farkle was heavier than its OEM counter part (except Exhaust where I saved 3 pounds), the raw added weight is less than you think. Changing a windscreen, a seat, luggage rack, pegs, shifter, crash bars aren't adding much weight. The Clearwater lights, skid plate and shocks probably are the biggest contributors to added weight where most things are just adding a couple of ounces.

If the bike's weight weight is 540 (need to check that), I think we're probably sitting at 575--600 with fuel and oil, etc. I need to check my numbers. If anyone in NH/VT has a weight I can use that I can roll onto, let me know.
    Menoche likes this.
  18. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    3 bathroom scales. 1 front 1 rear 1 sidestand.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Well, I bought two for that purpose. bike isn't done yet I Just don't think it'll be very accurate. maybe I'm overthinking it.
    nk14zp likes this.
  20. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    In theory, you should be able to just prop up the rear wheel to the same height as the scale (wood block?), weigh the front, then the rear and add them up...
    AdamChandler and nk14zp like this.