AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to share some update photos since I'm being hassled :p

I hate huge tank bags...so I bought a huge tank bag. Thing is, while these things suck when offloading, they don't get in the way while riding and I think I finally have a tank bag winner. Yeah, it's still going to scratch up that beautiful red-trim but there's no way around it.

Waterproof
    Very tight connection
    Expandable
    Lots of little pockets and extras
    firm
    very stiff zippers
    map pocket w/ USB pass through for phone
    Not too flash

When I'm standing off-road, it will certainly be in my way.
    Amphib and triman11427 like this.
  2. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
  3. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Do you have clear bra kind of film protecting the tank underneath that bag?? Ie. are you concerned that it'll rub against the tank and scratch Rosie's paint??

That was my main concern thus I went with SW Motech ring mounted Bags Connection bag which sits a bit higher and off of the tank surface... Being carrying over the system from 2 prev bikes (change ring as needed) and have not dealt with any paint damage underneath - ymmv... :thumb
    Dackrover likes this.
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I've tried twice to install a clear-bra on my GS. Tried it again last week. After 3 hours, I gave up and threw the film in the trash. I've waited like $200 on pre-cut film, tools, spray bottles, baby-soap / rubbing alcohol and I continue to cause creases. I've tried many times. A shops south of me that does clear-bra said he'd charge $700 to do it on my bike. Nope, the red tank cover piece from BMW is $400? something like that. if it drives me crazy in a couple of years, I'll just buy a new plastic piece.

SW-Motech was great. I had 3 of their bags. they do sit weird:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the bolts for the EVO lock started rusting almost immediately and when off-roading, I'd push up on the bags and they'd unhook and just fall off and the release piece had to be lubed or it would basically get stuck.

Other than that, great concept :) I'm not making fun, if the latch was more reliable and they didn't look so weird, I'd probably still be using them.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  5. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    K... Not sure if you had first generation of latches or second?? First one was iffy I agree but second seems to be holding up well... As I haven't had any of the issues you had, I'll keep it the way it is - my BC Explorer or something like that bag is a bit bigger than yours and follows the tank shape better towards the seat so there's that too... :D
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    After a few days of iPhone photos, I grabbed the SLR:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here are some recent videos I didn't link to here:

NoVa Rider and Amphib like this.
  7. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    Alright, what page are camera details on.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    What, no aftermarket brake rotors..?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. Dr Twisty

Dr Twisty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Adam.
    What pannier system will you be using?
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamjackson/46436400264/in/dateposted-public/
    [​IMG]

I'm just taking snapshots, not setting anything up crazy.

Not yet. The OEM rotors are pretty darn strong. If you link me to ones that look cool, I might be able to squeeze it in but the bike is pretty much done!

Jesse Luggage Challenger. crashed a lot off road last year with Jesse boxes installed. They were rock solid. This is their new line of boxes, more boxy than curvy like the old ones.
  11. triman11427

triman11427 Mud is my chrome

Oddometer:
    Since you've been so transparent throughout this build, have you got the total invested in Rosie? I bet it's less than one of my Harleys ;)
  12. Longrider9

Longrider9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Adam,

Great videos!!!
    How high are the cameras on the YSYSTO'S?
    Did you you ever consider mounting your rear camera on the rear tail light housing?
    There is about 2" clearance between the tail light housing and the bottom of the rear tail rack (Stock OEM rack on a GSW).

On the Enduristan 4A tank bag, I bought one after being dissatisfied with the waterproofness and function of other bags.
    I too was curious about how the bottom clips on the rock straps were attached. I changed them also but went back to how Enduristan sent them because I believe that that clips in the original orientation cinch the straps better to the bottom clips, rather than relying on the velcro on the straps to hold them.
    I like the size because I can place an insulated hydration bladder in the tank bag and not have to were one on my back.
    Overall a well made bag.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
  14. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    My tank bag on my KTM950 looks almost exactly the same. I'm just over 6'6 and it works great off road to give my knees something to hold when standing.
    Dackrover and AdamChandler like this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback!

"how high" as in the viewing angle or the resolution? They're both 1080P. The tail-camera is not what I think to be the final solution. That's going to have a lot of vibration and have a lot of rock / dirt abuse where it's placed. But I can't pick a mounting point until the Jesse Top box is installed. Here's how the top box looked on the old bike...not clear where I can put the rear camera.

[​IMG]

Not clear where the camera will fit in that setup.

I haven't ridden the bike yet well since October so I don't have a lot of opinion on the tank bag yet. It's huge but looks really well built.
  16. Longrider9

Longrider9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Ah, camera itself is about 1.5" at most..could be 1.25" I'll measure.

They have a thread on ADVrider and I spoke to the owner of the company and really liked what they were doing. There are a lot of moto-dashcams right now but they're all pretty similar in features. It's that customer support that would really make one shine over the others because a lot of companies out of Shenzen are just here to take your money and never support you.

I added a GPS to my unit as a separate purchase and it came china to USA in 3 days. Impressive.
  18. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    No roadbook holder/rally nav?
    Phil8dirt likes this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I'm 32, I'm 100% digital. I've never gone fast enough on a trail to need something like that.
    nk14zp likes this.
  20. miker325

miker325 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the old days, Adam, we used to communicate thoughts and ideas by using a small stick that we wrapped around a thin piece of graphite to make marks on paper. I know, strange... right?
    nk14zp, Menoche and Gadgetech like this.