AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. gadgettr1

gadgettr1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too! :)
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Well, thanks a lot buddy :dirtdog!!

As if there haven't been enough many stereotyping jokes about GS riders being posers at local S-bux so you needed to give 'em some more material w lic plate and utube video clip to boot... :rofl:imaposer

J/K... I do tend to plan my stops when out riding for few hrs around Sbux and have a coffee break...

:thumb
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The GS Starbucks meme is unstoppable. It’s been going on for years. When I get a photo of my bike leaned over a in mud pit, the license plate will be extra ironic.
    nk14zp, BJMoose, JimVonBaden and 3 others like this.
  4. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^^
    doit.gif

:lol3
    nk14zp and AdamChandler like this.
  5. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adam, has actually saved me a load of $, I like Ebay and all the knock offs you find there that are the same products branded differently.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    Is this better? ;-)

$bux.jpg
    KneeDrachen, Amphib, nk14zp and 2 others like this.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Pretty much everything Touratech makes is 80% cheaper on Chinese-eBay.
    nk14zp and bigjohnsd like this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Rosie Build - Final Week:

Today:
    • Remove Puig Blacked out Windscreen and prepare it to be sold
    • Install brand new ZTechnic Vstream and prepare my used one to be sold
    • Install Rever Rlink which is the coolest thing I've put on my bike so far. Can't wait to discuss it in a few different videos. one will be features, second installation / setup and 3rd will be a few months from now. Link to Rlink - http://rlink.com

Thursday, Jesse Racks FINALLy arrive. They're all black + black boxes + black latches & screws. They're going to be beautiful. This is the new Challenger Boxes are are a bit more Bumot looking. I also have Jesse's new lid-bags to test out. I'm partial to the ones I had in my old boxes from Storm Industries but these are made by Jesse and they actually fit into the lids with some sort of formed rubber for a perfect fit.

Then, we'll basically be done. I haven't ridden the bike yet because two reasons
    • I lost some of the hardware that holds the upper luggage plastic rack thing on. They're spacers and I had to order new ones from Max BMW at $7 each. Oops
    • I can't mount the Touratech ESA Tractive oil-reservoir thing until the Jesse Racks are on since It's not clear yet where it'll go on the rear-subframe. You'll see it dangling around the last few months at this location held on by zip ties:
    [​IMG]

It was behind the Jesse Racks on my last bike but I have to get the placement just right.

Additional graphical loveliness of the week ahead.
    [​IMG]
  9. TALLGUY

TALLGUY Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam,

Thanks for the winter time entertainment! Congrats on the build nearing completion.

Just wondering. How did you resist the 1250 "Cam Head Farkle"?

TG
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

Mentioned in different places but it comes down to:

1. 1st year of a brand new motor
    2. Initial lack of confidence about timeline on Farkle-Makers getting their new products out there
    3. Not knowing exactly how different the new bike would be
    4. ...the ultimate reason. Buying an R1200GSA not thinking an R1250GSA would even be stateside for a full year.

In October when I bought Rosie, the R1200 was an EICMA show-piece the GSA wasn't announced yet. I wanted a GSA. Then knowing that me being cheap (yea I know), I would want a discounted bike and R1250 bikes wouldn't see discounts for a year even when the GSA finally came out and finally if I bought an R1250 (non GSA), how many parts I wanted would be compatible?

And then the final reason...skills. I've been riding since 2016. Despite loads of training and 30K miles of riding, I don't need more power. The R1250 is heavier and has more power and more torque. I can afford to wait 5 years and get a last-gen R1250 with all of the motor kinks worked out and possibly an entire bike re-design with more tech and wizardry than put up with a 1st year bike that has more power than I actually need.

heck, I shouldn't even be riding a liter-bike but I am and the last thing I want is more power.

I haven't really put that reason out in one post before so thanks for asking!
    Amphib, nk14zp, TALLGUY and 1 other person like this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    ...I admit, I'm getting Farkle-exhausted. I'm going to install the RLink on my bike and I opened everything up and I'm just done. I've hit a wall, boys. I'm going to install this. I'm so excited about the functionality but I am at a Farkle-wall. I can't turn another screw. I just want to ride.

Stopped for the night, will pick up tomorrow:
    [​IMG]

iPhone + Nav VI + InReach + Dashcam + RLink, that's 5 GPS receivers on one motor-bike. WTF am I doing with my life?
    Mofrid, regnaDkciN and igi2003 like this.
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two questions on your set-up?

Does the PDM 60 clear the cover? I tried it there on the 2019, and it hit one of the plastic bosses.

The box sitting on the computer doesn't interfere with the seat? The Heat Troller I installed did, and it looks like a similar size.

[​IMG]

With the PDM 60 in the back, you can easily see the lights to tell if a circuit has an issue. The heat troller is tucked under the center frame and clears nicely.

(PS, the wiring is not done in this photo. It will be much cleaner when completed.)
    BJMoose and AdamChandler like this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Hey Jim,

The cables themselves were in the way but I strapped them down low initially that cross-bar which failed and it does clear the seat release now. It touches the release lever but the seat is opening up just fine. I drilled a hole as you can see and zip-tied the PDM60 to the plastic bucket. it's now completely out of the way from what I can tell. I wanted to put PDM60 where you pictured it but I had to put the dash cam somewhere. I'm guessing at the of 2019 with nothing to do to the bike, I'll completely re-do the wiring based on my experiences this year.

The black box is the RLink. I'm not actually sure where to put it yet. I'm running out of space.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. In my experience, unless you run the seat on high, nothing of any substance fits under the seat itself.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    there's just too much shit on this bike. IF it all works w/o weekly re-doing wires like I was doing on my last bike, it'll be worth it.
    regnaDkciN, BJMoose and JimVonBaden like this.
  16. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Always a risk when adding a lot of farkles. Mostly I am pretty good, but every once in a while, it bites me too.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Well, wonder who put it there and now is complainin'?? :rofl

It'll be all a-k once you start riding it - worry less enjoy more!! :D

:thumb
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I was just having a low point last night. I'm feeling better now. Been doing a lot of 15 hour work days these past 2 weeks and anxiously ready to ride. I feel like I've cut off more zip ties lately than I've put on. Just too many re-dos or back-tracks by adding more stuff (scope-creep). If the Rlink works, it's going to be my favorite mod.
  19. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Ive emailed them about getting one to try out (and return) so I can review it. I don't want to keep it though because I love a dedicated SatNAV. If I didn't have a NAV VI, I'd be a bit more into the idea of the WunderLinq but since I do, I don't feel compelled to plop down the money on one.
    Plawa likes this.