AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    Job well done - congrats!! :happay:beer

I'll miss the daily entertainment around Rosie Toes going forward... :cry

:D
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. BDS

BDS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sweet looking bike.....
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    A LOT of videos that are all queued up for the next 2 weeks. No point in waiting to share them here:

russ4ru likes this.
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    ....and finally. WE DID IT! She's all salty and sandy and beautiful at the same time.

[​IMG]
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    A few more photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BJMoose, russ4ru, TownPump and 4 others like this.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend met me in town and agreed to take a photo of me on the bike:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One year ago:
    [​IMG]

Mods, don't close this thread down yet...there are still a couple more changes I'll be making but the primary build is done! WOOOWWOWOOWO!
  7. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Per your request for opinions:

I can't speak to how well they attach with all your other fitments, but I actually like those Wunderlich bags...they look at least as good as and have more of a genuine purpose / usable function than some of the cosmetic "guards" similarly squeezed into the subframe areas.

They may not flap or make much wind noise even at speed (being behind your legs), if I were to guess in that regard...but you probably already have a more directly informed awareness about that after riding to get coffee.

The look of them on your bike has me reconsidering an item that I had long ago decided against anyway, for whatever that may be worth to you as opinions go.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So...with full camping gear in bags and top box full of cameras, tablet/laptop and drone...you are looking at 750lbs. maybe? Jumping Jeebus!

Eta: To think what really got this segment hot and rolling, pun intended, was when the first 1200 came out ...with 100 horsepower and the GS simultaneously had been put on a keto-diet and came in wet just under 500 lbs.

Ahhh...my old 2005 GS...also in red...miss those days! Which one would you rather take off of anything more than neatly grated gravel?

IMG_20151011_1727035_rewind.jpg
  9. Gus_1869

Gus_1869 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Adam, been enjoying the build...you may have given me some “bad” ideas! Thanks!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. dljiii

dljiii Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lookin good, Adam.

He will trust me :rofl
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. codebot

codebot Long time lurker, n00b poster

Oddometer:
    Wow, this thread has moved quick. I swear, not long ago I saw you install a Touratech "Nano" light guard. If I am not mistaken, you first tried a cheap Chinese knock off. However, I lost patience trying to find that post and I think it's at least a few thousand pages back. Regardless, I saw your installation soon after I had installed a pair of those cheap Chinese light guards on my 2018 GSA. I was slow gathering photos and I am now posting proof of my insanity. This first photo shows how I tweaked the bracket with a pair of channel locks and a vise grip. (top guard in the photo below).

vQI9%1QYSSiLMUeXgnMuew.jpg

This next photo shows the bracket installed. Note the space in front of the lens. I will need to drill a new mounting hole to move the guard close to the light lens. I have not really decided if moving the guard closer is really needed. On the other hand, I am heading for Alaska in June and will probably make that change before I leave. I have heard stories about rocks/gravel on the haul road.

K4k%M7ToSx2ashZLSR3ReA.jpg

(Yes, it's all dusty from sitting for a month and still a bit dirt splattered from the last ride).
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Good job!
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I wanted to thank Wes Fleming for his time and having me on the show - https://www.bmwmoa.org/general/custom.asp?page=200milespodcast
  14. chiba

chiba FYYFF

Oddometer:
    Twas my pleasure! Thanks for YOUR time :)
    AdamChandler and JimVonBaden like this.
  15. Doug Fremder

Doug Fremder 2017.5 BMW R1200GS Triple Black

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the content, very well done. Hope to meet you at the National in June.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I don't believe this was a feature in CanOpener 1.9/2.0 for R1200GS (v3, 1.9) because versions 2.3 I have on my bike now allows me to completely turn off the billy brake light. :Why would I want to turn off a $150 LED tail-light? because last year, I had friends and strangers tell me I'm riding my brakes. The billy was set to the lowest 10% power running and 100% power when I braked with a small strobe when I touched the brake before going solid.

I'm happy to report if you order a new CanOpener, you can completely turn off the brake light so it strobes and the goes solid at 100% which really makes the effect of it even more powerful to people behind you. It's quite jarring.

the 10% power w/o braking is nice for visibility at night probably but whoever is behind you at night is going to have a nice surprise when you touch the brake and the ark of the covenant shines down on them from a tiny motorcycle 200 feet ahead.
    gadgettr1, Tremblay, TownPump and 2 others like this.
  17. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer^^^
    TownPump, Tremblay and AdamChandler like this.
  18. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should really consider Marrying this girl, she sounds like a total keeper, lets you spend all your money on Bikes and Gear and loves to drink Beer.

On a side note, what are you using for a Sena setup for Bluetooth duties ? I need to find something that works hand in hand with the BMW Nav 6 and my Samsung 8 plus Android phone. PLays Music ect...
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    She just kicked me out of the house for the summer. I sent her this list: https://advrider.com/f/threads/adam...anderings-2019-edition.1373030/#post-37256875

Her response, "good thing you kept my birthday weekend open" and "I'll start looking at Belgium flights for October since that's when you're free" and "don't you have bike things going on sooner? you're driving me insane"

Happy to oblige. We get in a lot of quality time October - March and then I'm gone every other weekend all summer. Last year when I told her this will al change when we have kids, "I don't see why not. there are two of us. you enjoy your bike stuff"

Yes I do.

For my 30th, she took me to Bermuda for 10 days. She turns 30 next year so I should probably start planning on returning the favor: http://adamchandler.me/photos/albums/bermuda-2016/

We get on great. A few weeks after we met, we spent a week in Europe together touring breweries and wineries. Didn't drive each other crazy. Pretty big 5th date :p
    manshoon likes this.
  20. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been with my wife for 20 years, either of us had kids or been married and met in our early thirties. If you can do all this with your bike, buy a house together and travel, I say swoop her up. Chances are in 20 years you'll be saying the same thing to some guy tricking out his 2038 BMW flying GSA1700.
    bb82bird, AdamChandler and Dogslobber like this.