AdamChandler's "Rosie Red" 2018 GS Adventure Build Thread

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by AdamChandler, Oct 4, 2018.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    @mikegc - MAIER not working for me, either. can you snap a photo of your setup?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I can't get the ESA out any further and if I move it closer, the wire will be a bit bunched up. The FD Breather hose (red+black) I can move around a bit but the Tractive thing..well I find the whole thing pretty annoying that they were unable to integrate this into the shock itself. It's just hanging out there, another thing to fail.
  2. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam, my '14 GSA bike now lives in Raleigh, NC and I no longer have access to it. I can tell you, though, the Tractive unit on that machine is a direct replacement and doesn't have this:
    upload_2019-3-29_18-54-38.png

Sorry!!!

Mike
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adam, trim the fender and add a couple new ziptie locations on that side. You have to make mods when you have non standard items on the bike.

Here is what I installed today, and can see how I could mod it to fit your application.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    AdamChandler and mikegc like this.
  4. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^
    Thank you, Jim. I'm feeling pretty bad about leading Adam astray.

Mike
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This!

Was my exact reaction looking at yours mounted on your black GS at DirtDaze last year, if by chance you remember. At the time I was trying to determine if the TT reservoir would work with my tool box mounted in that area -- but imo it's just a stupid design that complicates / clutters the whole area.

It's the primary reason I am still milking the stock shocks until they inevitably blow with my 240lb. body weight. Don't know what I'll do then...have been secretly hoping (in probable vain) for some alternate ESA compliant make or design to emerge.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thanks @JimVonBaden. No problems @mikegc I'd love to not have that damn reservoir there. I think a mud-guard just isn't for me. Maybe I"ll just sell it and just do what I can to keep the rear shock clean. The Shock Tubes I had on last year trapped more dirt than they kept out.
    mikegc likes this.
  7. miker325

miker325 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adam, don't give up yet. It looks to be a fairly easy mod. Just outline the area the reservoir is hanging up on with a pencil and use a dremel tool to cut that part of the guard away. Drill a couple of more holes to allow re-positioned zip ties and you should be good to go!

I understand these mud guards aren't required, but they really do save you throwing all kinds of crap against your rear shock, much of which can eventually lead to damaging the seals and an accelerated replacement and/or repair schedule.
    JimVonBaden and AdamChandler like this.
  8. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Pretty much all high end shocks have external reservoirs, it increases the oil volume and makes it easier to keep it cool (among other benefits)... hardly a stupid design, it's just a tradeoff for the improved longevity and function.
  9. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Not comfortable doing it? Bring it to tech day and I will do it in 20 min.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Shit. You're probably right. Trails here are too muddy so I really don't need it installed until May 1st.

Edit: I think we found our first collaboration video.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  11. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zurgg likes this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  13. Dackrover

Dackrover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having an increased capacity of oil available is not a "stupid design"...it is necessary to the function and purpose...nothing I said reflected otherwise. I think it was 1986 when I first upgraded shocks for off road use (on a lifted Ford Bronco at the time) so you were preaching to the choir in that respect.

You stated my opinion is wrong by first misdirecting the actual meaning and premise behind it-- I was directly responding to Adam's quoted statement regarding disappointment the added reservoir wasn't "integrated into the shock" ...which I heartily agree with. The physical "design" itself is the noted issue...not the need for increased oil vo!ume.

Having a distally located reservoir which interferes with placement of common add-ons like toolboxes, mudguards and such, to hold the added volume...is a stupid design.

Again...this is my OPINION, and since you said "pretty much all" such shocks (require an external reservoir)...if you actually know of even one alternate design without, then you've only confirmed that a "better design" more in line with my personal requirements and opinion...could have been employed instead.

ETA: sorry...am obviously in a litigious mood today...taking a step back. Please accept my apology in that regard. I never mind opinions that meet mine fairly and disagree ...but do get annoyed when my opinion is first misstated or misunderstood in order to disagree with it.
    Plawa likes this.
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    By departing the bike! :deal
    Dackrover, AdamChandler and Gadgetech like this.
  15. German

German Ich liebe Bayrischen Mist

Oddometer:

Jim what brand is the splash guard ? link?
    thanks
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
  17. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  18. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    That pic really shows how wide the girl is. Baby got back. I just never noticed how wide the tank looks from the back with no one on it.

Nice bike for sure.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. German

German Ich liebe Bayrischen Mist

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    It's even more pronounced from this angle:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

although, photographers know that part of this is lens distortion.

As for the rear width, Jesse sells two boxes, an 8" and a 10". This is the larger box so if you're an expert packer, the 8" would certainly help it width but won't do much to help lane splitting since the handlebars are still pretty wide.