adapt the GSXR600, GSXR750 or GSXR1000 pipe to the DR650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by B1, Jun 13, 2011.

1. MrBright$park

MrBright$park Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great! Thanks! Did you cut yours from the front or rear side? It looks like that cutting the front side is easier, if the design is similar to the one from the cross section on the first video of this thread...
  2. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    just a reminder guys, the GSXR pipe mod is just one of several things you can do to derestrict the DR650.... here's the overview.

MrBright$park likes this.
  3. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    You would still get more power from an aftermarket muffler. The dyno chart at the beginning of the thread compares the GSXR can to an FMF Q. The Q is highly restrictive in it's own right. I wouldn't waste money on a Q either and they cost more than a Powercore-4.
  4. Fleksta

Fleksta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have a recent source for a midpipe? None of the manufacturers in the OP seem to list them anymore.
  5. Luke_M

Luke_M Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fleksta likes this.
  6. ITFOWjacket

ITFOWjacket fistfights with wrenches..

Oddometer:
    This mod is too popular! I cannot find a single muffler. eBay, Craigslist, local cycle-recycle shop....GSXR 1000, 750, 600 years 2000 through 05. Nothing.

A couple "refurbished" mufflers on ebay for over $300 bucks....guys we've hit collectors status

I'd hate to play the waiting game though. My DR came to me with FMF power core 4 and it is incredibly obnoxious....

has anyone had luck with something like this in pinch? Just until I find a more permanent solution. Especially shoved into what's already a wide open, high flow muffler?

https://www.denniskirk.com/H44738.s...id=CLqHgruyidQCFQ8xaQodgQYP7Q&ad=154650949570
  7. Luke_M

Luke_M Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2003-2004 GSXR1000 muffler for sale in the classifieds if you're still searching for one. It's the x18G1x.
  8. ITFOWjacket

Oddometer:
    Cool! I checked it out. Did you find a better option/different project?

I am more in the "totaled bike, parting out" price range. But I'll keep an eye on that. Might come crawling back in defeat haha

Also I live relatively close. Could there be a there a non-shipping price?
  9. Luke_M

Luke_M Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ended up using a 40f0 muffler instead. I can do better on the price if you pick it up.
    ITFOWjacket likes this.
  10. ITFOWjacket

Oddometer:
    Cool, Thanks letting me know. I will pm you in the next week or two if things line up.
  11. CyberGasty

CyberGasty n00b

Oddometer:
    Just one quick question, what is the OEM reference for the gasket for 4 bolt GSXR muffler? I bought 40f0 muffler but I need gasket. On procycle site they have it, but since I am not in US shipping fees are disproportional for buying there. Maybe with reference I can find someone in Europe who has them.
  12. MotoActionADV

MotoActionADV Level 16 wizard

Oddometer:
    Would newer pipes (like from a 2011 gsxr 600) fit/offer any benefits over the stocker?

Someone is dumping one near here and not sure if it's even worth snagging.
  13. Henny

Henny n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys.
    I saw this post a while back and have now got the 40F0 silencer. Somewhere I saw also a post on how to shorten the 40F0. Does anyone know where this post would be?
    Cheers in advance.

Attached Files:

14. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    Is it just me or is the Delkevic option at about $200 a lot cheaper and you can pick 14" or 18", seems better overall. Any downsides?
  15. Henny

Henny n00b

Oddometer:
  16. mdkelley

mdkelley n00b

Oddometer:
  17. Henny

Henny n00b

Oddometer:
    Not tried it yet. I am going to get some stainless steel flanges made up and make a mid pipe extension so I can swap between the standard and shortened 40F0 .
    If anyone wants a flange or two then I can get them made for about 15 Euros each. (stainless steel 316)
  18. mdkelley

mdkelley n00b

Oddometer:
    I picked up an 18g1 titanium (at least it says titanium on the end cap, it is really light too) for $30 yesterday, going to do this over the winter. It doesn't look like it would be easy to cut this one down though the body tapers near the end cap.
  19. CouchRider

CouchRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So it´s relatively hard to find and not much of a bargain. Would you say it is a lot better than for example a Leo Vince x3 or sth similar? Because pricewise its not much of a difference.

In Europe you can still find some GSXR exhausts for a cheap buck (because the DR 650 is so rare being built until 2002 - lol) but here the problem is: they are not legal to use on DR 650 at least in germany.

So I can get a complete LeoVice system for 400$ versus an illegal GSRX pipe for 50$ plus the midpiece for 260$ (import fee). What would you do? :D
  20. vnsfxr

vnsfxr BornAgainDirtyRider

Oddometer:
    I went with the Leo Vince.
    Like you figured the costs and the size so spent a little more.