Adding a Watsonian Grand Prix Classic to a 2007 Triumph Bonneville

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by propforward, Mar 29, 2020.

1. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    This isn't my bike, but see if any of these photos help you:

5d8bace9ef5d520b783dd419.jpg 5d8bace5474fa7319f067c78.jpg 5d8baceca0b4ed139b23d6e3.jpg 5d8bace77db164555867fa03.jpg
    fireflyr, davide, Bobmws and 2 others like this.
  2. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    They do. Thanks - more confirmation of approach. It's all good input. That's a lovely outfit.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  3. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The shape compliments classically styled bikes of any brand.
  4. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    It really does. Gorgeous outfit!
    FLYING EYEBALL likes this.
  5. Vato Jinete

Vato Jinete Feo del Norte Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking very nice Prop.
    We'll have to meet up when you are done and this corona thing is done.
    propforward likes this.
  6. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    I like that idea a lot!
    Vato Jinete likes this.
  7. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Progress made today!

Started off by taking the tub off, which Watsonian advised from the get go. This really does make setting up a hell of lot easier. Levelled the chassis first:

[​IMG]

It's not entirely obvious what is going on here, but I decided to use a laser level and square, along with some aluminium bar as straight edges, to mark out the position of the center of the sidecar wheel, 55" away from the wheel centerline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used the straight edges to actually mark the desired centerline of the bike, along with width marks for each tire, and used that to position the bike relative to the side car chassis.

[​IMG]

Then I moved the bike into position, and started attaching the linkages.

[​IMG]

Once I had the lean out set, I marked the linkages and removed them one at a time, and trimmed the length back.

[​IMG]

So there it is, the chassis is attached to the bike and free standing. I feel pretty good about it. Tomorrow I'll go around and tighten everything again, and then see about putting the tub back on.

EDIT: I forgot to add that 55” was too much track width, and I actually reduced it to 49” after the first attempt, which is a very nice set up.
    pops, BJMoose, Jimr80gs and 6 others like this.
  8. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Right so, a little bit of bother today. Went to install the fender, and found that the two mounting bolts were nowhere to be found, and I didn't have any in my various buckets o' bits either. So, figured out what I needed and ordered those, and then temporarily installed the fender (i.e. it's just kind of hanging in place) so that I could run the wiring, which I simply tied to the middle cross member before putting the tub back on.

[​IMG]

It runs up the other side and to the bike via the rear top linkage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blue tape is simply my marker meaning "this one is all tightened up".

Was happy that my side bag on the right side still fits nicely.

[​IMG]
    pops and BJMoose like this.
  9. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Anyhoo, net result of this weekends work:

Mostly assembled:

[​IMG]

And further along.

[​IMG]

Really happy with the overall quality. Good, sturdy construction. The windshield fits really well, and is also sturdy.

Still a few things to do - connect the wiring, put some rubber trim on the linkage ends where I trimmed them down, trim the sidecover to fit on the right side of the bike, tighten a few attachment points, but then it will be ready for a test.
  10. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Perfect time for a project.

Stunning. My Bonneville now seems incomplete.
    propforward likes this.
  11. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I'm really glad I have this to work on at times like this - and a place to do it in. A lot of people aren't so lucky, alas.

Anyway, I'm going for a toe in of 1/2", and wheel lead of somewhere between 9 and 10". Was trying for 9", but ended up a bit past it. My lean out was at 1/2", but during the faffing about has ended up greatly reduced.

I don't think it will be hard to tweak the lean out back, but for now I'm going with it as is, and when I get to testing it I'll just see how it feels. Got to start somewhere.

Today I ordered replacement bolts for the fender, and also some connectors to make splicing in to the lighting harness neat and clean, so it may be a couple of weeks before an update, with shipping being a little delayed.
    pops likes this.
  12. Vato Jinete

Vato Jinete Feo del Norte Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks fantastic! Nice job (as usual).
    propforward likes this.
  13. fireflyr

fireflyr Dumpster Diver

Oddometer:
    Nice job and that rug really does tie the room together.
    BJMoose, propforward and brstar like this.
  14. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    With the way I marked it out, the rug really tied the rig together. :D
    Jimr80gs, Bobmws, fireflyr and 2 others like this.
  15. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    I'm claiming today as a success. I finished up installing the fender, and tightened up all the bolts again just to check, then took the rig around the garden a few times. It actually rides pretty well. Since it didn't just flip up and kill me, I decided I wasn't too far off on geometry, and took it down our road. Not very fast, maybe 25 mph, just enough to get a feel for how it pulls. Overall, I have to say for a first effort I'm pleased. It pulls a little to the left if I start to release the bars. The bars do get a wobble, but doesn't feel terrible. Also, this was a gravel road so I'm not going to stress about that yet, plus I need to check tire pressures. When braking hard, the rig did pull left very hard. My thinking is that the toe in is a little too much, so I may adjust that. However, the chair does not lift excessively, and I don't feel it is pulling badly when attempting to just ride in a straight line. I think I'm close. But I need to check tire pressures, and also take this to a local parking lot and do the test ride there. Today's ride was only round the yard and on a gravel road, with ruts etc, so I want to get a better feel on smooth pavement. Not a bad first go though.

So here are a few piccies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did need to trim the side cover a bit to get it to fit over the attachment point.

[​IMG]

And as well as tweaking the alignment, I still have to connect the lights. I have ordered connectors from Eastern Beaver so that I can make a custom wiring adapter to just plug in to the main harness, rather than cut wires or try and force posi taps in place. Should have those connectors next week.

This connector

[​IMG]

Is under the seat, and connects the rear lights and indicators in to the main harness. So I am going to make a junction to go in the middle of the connector, which will then also supply the sidecar lights.
  16. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Well it certainly LOOKS great, but you knew how great it was gonna look before you even ordered the car!

As for the riding impressions, I wouldn't give a 2nd thought to feedback on gravel. Wait for the pavement test.
    propforward likes this.
  17. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    propforward likes this.
  18. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good looking rig. Well done.
    propforward likes this.
  19. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Looks great! Do you have much experience with sidecars? If no, do you have a local buddy that can ride it, or that can let you ride his? I've found nothing as helpful as riding someone else's well sorted rig.
    propforward likes this.
  20. raysrig

raysrig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pretty classic lines. When done drooling I would split my time riding around everywhere showing that thing off and the other half snapping pics. The only thing I would add is a doggie copilot. I definitely want one when I grow up.
    propforward likes this.