Adding stuff to ACC 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Chr!s, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Chr!s

Chr!s natural born dreamer

Oddometer:
    I'm about to get some heated grips and wire them through ACC 1 or 2 (whichever works out to be the unswitched fella). But i already have the carb heaters wired through this wire...will it be okay to add the heated grips as well? ....AND... pretty soon i'm gonna splurge on a gps so can that go through the same wire also??!! I ain't too sure although i suppose that even all three things together draw relatively few amps, what do yous reckon?

cheers
    Chris
  2. Yorky

Yorky Splash!!

Oddometer:
    You'd be well advised to connect a relay to the switched Acc supply and run a fused supply up from the battery through the relay contact to whatever you need to power.
  3. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The circuit is rated at 5Amps, which isn't a great deal for heated items. If you want it all to be switched then you need to think about running all your loads through a relay connected direct to the battery, as advised above.
    I've got my heated vest and GPS on the unswitched acc, and grips on the switched acc. I wouldn't get away with the grips and vest on the switched acc, the fuse wouldn't be able to handle it.
  4. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    The wattage of the grips would be a concern first off so WHICH heated grips you thinking??Symtec ones on http://www.windingroads.co.uk/ are 35watts and will be fine BUT run it through the SWITCHED plugs(ACC2....same as the carb heaters) because you WILL forget to switch the buggers off!!:deal :deal

GPS draws very little power so would use it in ACC1 since you are likely to switch it off when the journey is done or overnight stops.

I ran a wire from the battery(15amp wire) up to behind the dash where i used a rocker switch with an LED(from motorworld) and from there i wired the grip heaters AND a BMW type power socket(i have a male piece connected to an optimate just in case but have never used it).
    In my ACC1 i have my GPS hardwired.
    In ACC2 i have a plastic covered car type cigar lighter thing which is rattling about in the cubby box between the tanks in case i need that for anything.

As stated above.....i have never needed an optimate and nor have had a flat battery yet i cant remember the last time i went out on the bike cos i keep going off roading on the exc instead.:huh :huh
  5. Chr!s

Oddometer:
    Cheers guys for that.
    I thinking of getting the Symtec kit as it looks the best value. I noticed that in my ACC 2 slot i have a 10 amp fuse fitted so i reckon that as the grips would only draw around 3 amps it would be okay to run the grips and the carb heaters through it without a relay. I don't know what the carb heaters draw but it can't be near 7 amps can it?? The gps can go through ACC 1 (unswitched).
    Blue....do you have your carb heaters through ACC2 and also using ACC2 as a switched circuit with a relay? (for the grips and cigar type socket jobby)
    Cheers
    Chris
  6. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    Grips are ran direct from the battery since i can see the LED light quite brightly even in daylight but with an inline fuse obviously.No relay.The same applies to the BMW type socket which also doubles up as a charger socket to save undoing the bash plate although i have never had to charge the battery(04).The carb heaters draw less than 5amps cos i used to run a 5amp fuse when i never used anything else on the ACC2 plugs.....but when i used(if i remember correctly)an airbed pump through the ACC2 at the same time it blew the fuse since the draw was too much and it was at that point i went back to the dealers and they got in touch with KTM who told them to use a 10amp fuse.All been ok since.
  7. LC8rider

LC8rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd definitly go with this method. This way you can be sure not to cook/fuse the bikes loom by keep adding on loads as you need (grips, clothing, gps, lights, etc...). Treat the ACC1/2 circuits as control wiring rather than load bearing wiring if both are used already for toys. I've been an electrical engineer for 25+ years so :ear.
  8. Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog Ned Catcher

Oddometer:
    Gents,

All very interesting. I to got a set of heated grips for crimbo and am about to fit them.....soonish; I also need a bit of advice.

Mine are Motopro Snug-Grips and they come with a bar mounted hi/lo/off controller. They are fairly substantial and appear to be good quality but the very limited instalation instructions do not quote the amps drawn and say NOT to fit them to a constant supply or directly to the battery. It says I am to fit it to a "switched positiive supply". Would this be the ACC2 port?

Me confused; please advise afore I blow the BOM up!

Better still i just took delivery of a set of carbon fibre tank guards and a set of fork guards from Carbon Parts in Germany. They are very bling, I will post piccies for you to slaver over later....

Ta in advance

Ross
  9. Chr!s

Oddometer:
    Mark, you say to use ACC1 & 2 only as control circuits if i had other toys wired in but as i have only the carb heaters on ACC2 and would like to add only the heated grips do you think the wiring for ACC2 wouldn't be rated at 10 amps? There will be nothing else going on this wire after that.
  10. petesonhisway

petesonhisway Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. This has nothing to do with load though, it's just so you don't flatten your battery if you leave the grips switched on when the engine is not running. ACC1 provides power even when the ignition is switched off, ACC2 cuts the power.

Pete
  11. LC8rider

Oddometer:
    That should be ok, I was just thinking of those who like to run lots of toys on their bikes and were worried about using the unswitched ACC or over-loading the switched ACC.
  12. LC8rider

Oddometer:
    Here you go. Picture brilliantly composed by NothingClever. I cannot take credit for it :D You can also make the unswitched ACC into a switched ACC using a similar method (having TWO switched ACC points), but that's another drawing :lol3
    View attachment 100538
  13. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That should be a 5 Amp fuse fitted, not a 10 Amp - the previous owner may have blown it at some point and fitted a 10 Amp replacement.
    The Acc's are rated at 5Amps each, and although you'd get away with a bit more than this for short periods, for the sustained output needed for heated grips and carb heaters you risk overheating the cables and damaging the wiring loom. The only way to know for sure what load you're drawing is to connect up an ammeter.

I noticed the 990's now have 10Amps fitted as standard, but I don't know if they use thicker wire to handle the extra load.
  14. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    Here's the repair Manual page for the carb heaters. It may lend some facts to the discussion.
    -cp
    [​IMG]
  15. union jack

union jack Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had my grips wired into the ACC2 no probs. Then the carb heaters fitted. No probs. Poked around the carbs one day and found front carb heater disconnected. Reconnected it and the fuse starts blowing. So swapped grips over to ACC1. Hey presto flat battery in morning after leaving switch on all night. Prat. Didn't fancy risking a 10amp fuse so flipped a coin. The carb heaters lost. Now have cronic carb icing but warm hands. Roll on spring.
  16. softail

softail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 5.5 came with 10A fuses. I wondered about it since I'd read about 5A here. No clue if the wiring is actually beefier.
  17. Yorky

Yorky Splash!!

Oddometer:
    10 amp fuse will be fine. I'd always use a relay. Funny story though :rofl
  18. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    All of the 950's use the same 0.5 mm*2 wiring for the ACC1 and 2 circuits. '03 and '04 come from the factory with 5 amp fuses for ACC1 and ACC2. '05 and '06 come with 10 amp fuses.
    -cp
  19. union jack

union jack Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok you lot I'm going to try a 10amp fuse but if it catches fire all your names will be appearing in Jo Momma!
  20. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    :poser