Adirondack ADV Loop

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by mgb71, Jun 21, 2018.

1. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Guys,

I've been working on a project over the past year to create a route around the Adirondacks and link up all of the "legal" dirt and seasonal roads along the way and I've finally got something put together.

I have a bunch of additional info and pictures on my website along with a GPX file with tracks for the route. It's still a work in progress but I wanted to get it up since some people will probably want to do some riding around the Adirondacks over the 4th of July and this may be some helpful information to have.

http://adventure-science.com/adirondack_ADV_loop.html

Please check out all of the links and let me know if anything is broken or if you have questions!

I've attached 2 GPX files:

ADK_ADV_LOOP_23JUNE2018.gpx
    Contains tracks of the entire route broken up into 3 sections along with several tracks of dirt roads and trails that are not on the actual route but are fun excursions and worth checking out along the way. This file also contains waypoints for gas, camping, food, etc.

Tracks (20 total):
    • ADK ADV LOOP SECTION 1 (Lake George to Keene)
    • ADK ADV LOOP SECTION 2 (Keene to Raquette Lake)
    • ADK ADV LOOP SECTION 3 (Raquette Lake to Lake George)
    • (17) additional dirt roads along the route

ADK_ADV_LOOP_DIRT_AND_PAVEMENT_23JUNE2018.gpx
    Contains tracks of the entire route broken up into separate dirt and pavement sections (39 dirt, 40 pavement). These tracks are included just so you can see where the dirt roads are when looking at the route on a computer and aren't intended to be imported into your GPS as there are too many to be of any practical use for navigation.

Tracks (79 total):
    • ADK ADV xxP are all of the [40] PAVEMENT (blue) sections of the route numbered sequentially starting in Lake George.
    • ADK ADV xxD are all of the [39] DIRT (red) sections of the route numbered sequentially starting in Lake George.

ADK ADV LOOP B-600.jpg

Attached Files:

SRTie4k, fatbikeracer, levain and 6 others like this.
  2. jimmycapp

jimmycapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great. The gpx link doesn’t work for me. Page not found 404
  3. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For some reason it doesn't automatically download when you click on the link so you have to right click and select "save link as". That seems to work ok.
  4. jimmycapp

jimmycapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just tried that on my laptop and no go. Opens the file save window with the correct file name. Once I click save it says no file found.
  5. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I ended up saving it on the website as a ZIP file and that seems to work. The internet was getting confused with the GPX extension for some reason.

http://adventure-science.com/adirondack_ADV_loop.html

I posted the current GPX file above. I'll be updating the one on the website so that will always have the latest version.
  6. GunnyL

GunnyL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome job, I was just up in that area for the Dirt Daze Rally and there is some really nice riding up in that area. I was actually surprised at just how beautiful the area is and how hospitable it was to motorcycles. I was planning a trip back up either in the Fall or Spring/Early Summer of next year and this will be on my list of routes to ride. Thanks for taking the time to not only put this together but to publish it in such a nice manner. For those who have never been to the Adirondacks, I highly recommend you put this route on your plans.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  7. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It did turn out to be a bigger project than I originally anticipated but hopefully some people will get use out of it. I didn't go to Dirt Daze (even though I live 15 minutes away) but part of the route goes right through that same area of Lake Luzerne. One of the guys who helped out with Dirt Daze is going to send me tracks from the rally and I'll try to add those in with my route.
  8. GunnyL

GunnyL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have all of the Unguided Dirt Daze tracks in my GPS. I'll download them later. I have one on Rever that is a mixture of the road book and GPS track for the long unguided ride. There was a slight difference in the routing between the two.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  9. sttm4

sttm4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your hard work I'm going to try and head up in September and do a loop. My dad retired years ago and stays at his place in Lake George full time. It's always a great time to visit him as all the tourist are gone and the roads are empty. I like riding around the lake on route 9 then heading into Vermont on route 17. Thats always too much black top for me so looking forward to the dirt and gravel roads.
  10. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Post some photos after you do it. I'd like to see some other bikes on the route.
  11. sttm4

sttm4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK I'm trying to pick a good weekend / not a busy weekend . I have lots of enduro's and dual sports coming up in my area. My dads off route 9 by fourth lake . Old Stage Rd Do you know that area? A few miles in it turns into a dirt road with nice trails off the roads. Mostly snow mobile and jeep trails though. He's had a 1000 acres since 1967 and I've always wanted to cut some good trails to ride but never find the time . I would say it's mostly ATV riding on his property and now at age 51 I'm liking the adventure riding so I'll never get to cutting trails.
  12. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Old Stage Rd / Viele Pond Rd is on part of the ADK ADV Loop. I've explored a little around that area but much of the land is posted so that deterred me from going too far off road.
  13. sttm4

sttm4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes lots of signs put up by my dad. When the road turns to gravel coming from route 9 all the land on the right and and left is my dads property . He lets a local hunting club use the land so they post and clean up the road trash for him. I would say on the right side of the road his property ends about 1/4 mile before Viele Pond and on the left side it ends at the hunting club. It's been a few years but I had a great dirt loop that started in the woods at Viele Pond and ended back down at the bottom of Old Stage rd just before my dads dirt road to his house. If I ever pick a weekend to go up with some buddies I'll shoot you a private message and your more then welcome to join us for a ride
    scott
    Marcus I. likes this.
  14. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    i am heading up to do this route shortly, any sandy sections i need to watch for? i am on a big bike

edit: just saw the link to the website
    well done
    thanks
    i will report back
    bomberdave likes this.
  15. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI, I was riding the eastern section over the weekend and there is some construction on Old Furnace Rd in Paradox. It looks like they are repairing a culvert and have a good portion of the road dug up. There are some "ROAD CLOSED" signs and some barriers but I managed to get through on my bike. I saw some other big bike tracks so apparently somebody else did the same thing. If for some reason you can't get through then you can shortcut the route.

Old_Furnace_Rd_alt.jpg
  16. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The sandy sections are on Wolff Rd in the north and the Otter Creek Truck trail in the west.
    Brutalguyracing likes this.
  17. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sand isn't too bad...weight back, throttle up, loose on the bars...you want the front tire to just skim over the surface....not grab every little irregularity, dig in and pitch you. There's a happy medium...if you go too slow it's way worse, you're just plowing a field.
  18. BeowulfNH

BeowulfNH Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    We are headed over from NH to do some riding on this track. Thanks for putting it together!

We’ll be staying at Lake Durant campground near Blue Mountain Lake and will be riding from there Friday and Saturday. We’ll try to post some photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  19. Ridethat

Ridethat Ride Orange

Oddometer:

Awesome Loop - We just completed the trip from Sunday to Wednesday - Left PA on Sunday to Utica NY - Spent the night, started the ride Monday rode to Lake Placid, Tuesday completed the loop back to Utica and then home on Wednesday - 1325 miles - Thanks!
    Brutalguyracing likes this.
  20. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride Report?