Adirondack ADV Loop

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by mgb71, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Ridethat

Ridethat Ride Orange

Oddometer:
    We just completed the Adirondack ADV Loop - The GPS file worked great.
    Sunday we started in Gap Pennsylvania and road to Utica NY 280 Miles (back roads no highways)
    Monday at we rode from Utica NY and picked up the Adirondack ADV Loop at Cold Brook NY we continued counter clockwise on the loop, Had lunch in Lake George Boathouse Restaurant, then continued north on the loop ending the day at Lake Placid. Stayed at the Hampton Inn Lakeside. Tuesday we continued on the route having lunch Tupper Lake area, and finished the loop at Cold Brook and headed south back to Utica New York. Wednesday we left Utica and heading south to Gap PA on back roads - All totaling 1325 miles, Approx 286 Sunday, ADV loop 645 miles (was over 739 for us over 2 days of riding) and 300 back home.
    Bikes on the trip - 1 - KTM 1190 Adv R, 1- KTM 990 Adv R, 1 - Triumph Tiger 800, 2 Yamaha Super Tenere's
    GravelTrap1000 and rkdwp like this.
  2. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Glad to hear some people are doing it. Do you have any photos?

I was riding the northeast section today and the fall colors were brilliant. I also found that there is a bridge out on the route near the town of Standish so a slight detour is required until they repair the bridge.

6OCT2018-BRIDGEOUT.JPG 6OCT2018-1.JPG 6OCT2018-2.JPG 6OCT2018-3.JPG
    GravelTrap1000 likes this.
  3. Unhooked one

Unhooked one When in doubt....gas it out!!

Oddometer:
    Great looking loop.....thanks for your efforts on this. Looking forward to running it this spring or summer
  4. tk1250gsa

tk1250gsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thnaks!! I'm a newbie of adv world! planning to go trip as first adv trip (nyc - green mountain - white mountain - Burlington - down all the way route 9 which I did with my harley before ) will add this as first off road ride when I down from Burlington!
  5. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I've noted on the website the best paper map that I've found for the area is the JIMAPCO Adirondack Map, but unfortunately the company stopped printing these maps a couple of years ago. The map is 25" x 19" and is paper with a shiny coating so it's pretty durable but not waterproof. It has most of the roads for the ADK ADV Loop on it but there are some dirt roads missing so you'd have to draw these in with a marker. The nice thing is that it gives a great overview of the entire Adirondack Park which is really convenient when on the route.

I recently found some at a convenience store and bought them so I've got a few on hand if anyone is interested. They were $7.95 + tax so if you send me $10 I can mail one out to you.

I did scan one in and saved it as a multi-page PDF on my website if you want to print it yourself (8 letter-sized pages).

JIMAPCO_ADK_FRONT_600.jpg

JMAPCO_ADK_FRONT_3000.JPG JMAPCO_ADK_BACK_3000.JPG
  6. t1hybrid

t1hybrid The bike whisperer

Oddometer:
    This looks great! One of my favorite parts of the country. Was thinking of running it in June but will probably wait till September since I detest black flies and skeeters.
  7. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last year the black flies were pretty bad but every year is different. Last June was also quite wet.
  8. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI...

If anyone needs emergency assistance while doing the route then I could probably help out.

I live just south of Lake George and have an enclosed motorcycle trailer and a small garage with lots of tools including a mig welder.

All of my contact info is on the website.

It's been very cold and wet this spring and the black flies are already out so the conditions are not ideal at the moment but will get better by the end of June.
  9. tk1250gsa

tk1250gsa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds very generous sir.
    I was planking to do next week but I’ll push back to end of June.
    Thanks
  10. Unhooked one

Unhooked one When in doubt....gas it out!!

Oddometer:
    Good deal. My house is on the market......working through the offers........then I will be planning this route. Thanks for the backup support offer.......that is always a good thought.
  11. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've also been doing some motorcycle repairs for people on the side if anyone needs some work done. I've been working on bikes for over 30 years and being a current owner of a KLR650 and CRF1000 I am pretty well equipped to work on those bikes in particular.
    EastofErie likes this.
  12. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was out riding part of the loop yesterday and noticed that one of the seasonal roads (Perkins Clearing Rd / Old Military Rd) just north of Speculator is closed until June 1st. It can easily be bypassed on pavement but it is a fun road to explore so if you plan on riding the route before the end of May you'll have to skip that bit.

perkins_closure_1.jpg
  13. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    came across a gated road in section 1 today. i believe it was on mountain springs road. anyone know if its a private road? we were on 2 tigers
  14. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Interesting.

This, I hope, is my summer/fall on two wheels. My roots are in the Adirondacks, partially - my grandfather was part owner of a Great Camp for a time. Later, as newlyweds, my mother introduced my father to the area, and he came to love it.

Our family cemetery plot, adjacent to my mother's father's family plot, is just outside the park in the town of Remsen. This summer it's going to be Alaska, unless things go to hell. Fall, I hope to catch the fall colors - and the Adirondacks, one last time in my life.
  15. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mountain Springs Road is a public seasonal road that is open all the way through but there are several private roads that branch off of it, some of which have gates. As long as you stay on the main road you should be able to get through no problem unless there is some temporary construction taking place. I was just up there last week and it was clear all the way through.

mt_springs_rd_1.jpg
  16. danptobin

Oddometer:
    i think i see what we did.

thanks
  17. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of spots where it is easy to veer off the main road especially if you're heading north.
  18. danptobin

Oddometer:
    shortly after passing a burtout log cabin (looked pretty freshly burt) on our left heading north we came upon a yellow gate
  19. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't think of where that is. Can you point it out on the map? I'll be heading up there this week so I'll check it out.

Were you following the GPS tracks?
  20. danptobin

Oddometer:
    the house was on mountain springs road on our left. not able to relate in to the map but i was following the tracks.