Adirondack ADV Loop

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by mgb71, Jun 21, 2018.

1. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode up there today to check it out and I think I figured out what you did. I passed the burned out log cabin and then about a 1/2 mile further up Mountain Springs Road there is a fork and if you take it to the left you end up at a gate which is about .1 mile off the track. Mountain Springs Road goes straight through at this fork (don't go left) and is clear all the way to the other end.

The gate was actually open when I went up there but I didn't go through it because the property is posted.

mountainsprings_gate_31MAY2019_1.jpg

mountainsprings_gate_31MAY2019_4.jpg
    mountainsprings_gate_31MAY2019_3.jpg
  2. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    yup we went left
  3. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI, the black flies are terrible up in the Adirondacks right now!
  4. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd love a map if you still have any available
  5. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If anyone wants some extra "adventure" and wants to do some rock climbing while they are up in the Adirondacks then hit me up as I have been a climbing guide up here for many years. There is also some cool caving up by Lake Placid that is a fun thing to do even on a rainy day.
    skinipenem, mosey.levy and rkdwp like this.
  6. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode the Lewis County trails a few years ago and some of them were definitely more technical and seemed to be better suited for dirt bikes and 4-wheelers. I was on my KLR650 which was manageable but I wouldn't want to take my Africa Twin on some of those trails.

I don't know what their color coding means in terms of trail difficulty.
    mosey.levy likes this.
  8. voodoochilled

voodoochilled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Greetings from Rochester, NY! A buddy forwarded me this thread and first, THANK YOU for putting this all together. This is quite an effort so THANK YOU for sharing it with the ADV world. It is much appreciated.
    My wife's family has a cabin up at Old Forge and we've been up there a few times but I've always wanted to ride up there. Rode through Lake George and Newcomb last summer on my way to VT/NH and decided to come back again on two wheels to camp and ride the ADK again. Your GPS files, maps and info is all I need to make it happen with some of my buddies. They might do it on a 2 day weekend sooner than I do this summer but I'd prefer to spare at least three days to do the full route and not rush through it once the black flies are gone. I'll let you know if I end up doing it this summer/fall...otherwise definitely next year. Thanks again!
  9. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the thread and the routes. :clap I was in the Dacks for a week in late June and rode about 1K miles , covering many of your routes, and had a great time. Beautiful area to ride in.
  10. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear that people are riding the route.

I've been scouting roads on the southern tier of NY with the intention of creating an ADV route across the state and connect up to the ADK Loop. Hopefully I'll have something put together by next summer.
  11. voodoochilled

voodoochilled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI Wayne County MC down in the Southern Tier had their annual "Thrills in the Hills" event in June - 160 miles of great, dirt/seasonal roads in the NY southern tier.
    GPX track file is here.
    Rever Ride is here.

It's pretty far southwest from the ADKs but, if you can find a fun route linking this to your ADK loop, would make for a nice "upstate NY BDR" :)

upload_2019-7-16_15-28-18.png
    dstutz likes this.
  12. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I've gotten as far west as Watkins Glen on my scouting trips so far and this area was next on my agenda to check out so this info will be a big help.

Thanks!
  13. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just came back from a trip in the allegheny area, and now my plan was to head east over to ADK, and i think i found the right place - Nice work & Thanks! The only negative, is heading from Buffalo to ~Utica to the start of ADK is so painful, I'm dreading it. pics for your time - Hope to hit some of your route in the next few weeks! IMG_5119.jpg Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 10.56.33 AM.png
    voodoochilled, NoelJ and Luckycharms like this.
  14. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dudes! I've used the original posters mixed pavement Loop route file and put in my own start/destinations that hit some of his trails...now how do i get a kmz to give me turn by turn!!!! Every app wants to just follow the line, OR give me a suggested quicker route, none will just follow the route??? Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 10.39.53 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 10.34.46 AM.png
  15. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    UPDATE: 7/26/2019

I was riding part of the eastern section today and found that Macmahon Road in Westport is temporarily closed while they replace a culvert so anyone riding this will have to take a detour through the village of Westport.

ADK ADV LOOP CLOSURE 0726.jpg
    MACMAHON_CLOSED.jpg

closed_1.jpg closed_2.jpg

I also discovered that they recently put new asphalt down on Hogan Hill Road so that is no longer dirt. :(
    HOGAN_HILL_PAVED.jpg
  16. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have any experience with KMZ files but I can export the route from Basecamp as a KML 2.2 file and then that can be converted to a KMZ file (from what I understand a KMZ is a compressed KML file). I couldn't attach the KML file to this post so I put it on Dropbox so try this and see if that works for you. I also included the "route" along with the tracks in this file so this may give you the turn-by-turn you're looking for.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3yprsc09dyi31cy/AAA_GoyRcd02d4yw9qHna16da?dl=0

I opened it up in Google Earth and it's all there.
    ADKADV_GOOGLE_EARTH.jpg
  17. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks man! I actually ended up figuring it out - I laid your loop down and then made my route to and from to hit parts of your map - Leaving very early Friday, super excited! I live in buffalo and have never been up there ever.

This is my TO, and FROM final route overviews below - will you be out riding around through there Fri? Hoping to hit up Whiteface before it closes at 530, then dinner maybe in lake placid

Attached Files:

18. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be out of town the rest of the week.

The weather looks good for this week so hopefully you'll have a good trip.
  19. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any tracks that more or less follows this loop, but goes off on more, uhh, challenging tangents?
    mosey.levy likes this.
  20. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There aren't many options for off-road riding in the Adirondacks because the DEC has strict regulations about using motorized vehicles on state lands within the Adirondack park so the biggest challenge in creating the route was finding roads and trails that are legal to ride. Any real off-road trails within the park boundary are going to be on private property which is mostly posted with No Trespassing signs so unless you have permission to ride on those trails then it's best to avoid them (I've been chased off by a number of angry property owners). You can probably find some private trails to ride on in the Adirondacks but it seems unlikely that anyone is going to post that information on a public forum like this.

Your best bet for more challenging terrain is the ATV trail network in Lewis County on the west side of the Adirondacks. It is outside of the park boundary and is maintained by the county but you are supposed to purchase a pass to ride on those trails. I've ridden some of those and they are definitely more challenging.

https://www.lewiscountyatv.org/

https://www.lewiscounty.org/departments/recreation-forestry-and-parks/recreation-forestry-and-parks
    dstutz likes this.