Adirondack ADV Loop

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by mgb71, Jun 21, 2018.

1. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So i followed your route and got lost somewhere in the Otter Creek Trail system that was mainly for horses, and it was absolutely terrifying. haha. I contemplated just calling it a life and leaving myself to the bears because it was out of control. Dense dark deep forest with horrible trails that I wouldn't recommend even with an ATV. absolutely horrible haha. I don't think it gets more technical than that area. I did see some signs saying no horses and no atvs...i had little choice at that point though. Overall though Kudos on the map, it was a huge help!
  2. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it out alive! Some of those trails are definitely better suited for a horse.

Any photos?
  3. Snowboy71

Snowboy71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A climbing ADV bike trip through the dacks sounds pretty awesome. I just pulled down the gpx files and am now looking at my calendar to figure out how much time I can get off to do the loop and have a day to do at least one long mulitpitch vertical hike (would be looking for a partner as my solo days are over). Love your thoughts on how to make a trip of the two best sports in the world. I'd be coming from central vermont so probably would intercept the route at the bottom of Lk George or near Edgemont. Any long easy/moderate climbs with quick access from a point along your loop?
  4. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are several moderate multipitch climbs on the east side of the Adirondacks very close to the loop. Roger's Rock on Lake George has a nice 5.7 route (Little Finger) that leaves from the water (requires a boat to get to the start). There are also many options in Keene Valley and at Poke-O Moonshine which are pretty close to the ADK ADV Loop. The most convenient is at Pitchoff Cliff along Cascade Lakes which you'll pass on Rte 73 when doing the ADK ADV Loop. There is also some caving to explore on that cliff.

Look up these routes:
    Chapel Pond Slab (5.5)
    Little Finger (5.7)
    Quadrophenia (5.7)
    Pete's Farewell (5.7)
    Hesitation (5.8)
    Gamesmanship (5.8)
    Partition (5.8)
    Fastest Gun (5.10)

I'm out of town Aug 17-25 but shoot me a message when you figure out your schedule.
  5. Scotty P

Scotty P Funny Like a Clown

Oddometer:
    Working on putting a trip together early Oct. Any advice where we could park a few trucks and trailers for 2-3 days? Utica looks like a good starting point.

Thanks
  6. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You definitely want to check out www.adventure-science.com and download the file with onroad/offroad loop, and make that fit into your route.

What area are you looking to enter the park, and leave your trucks?
  7. Scotty P

Oddometer:

Bump
  8. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Scotty P

Oddometer:
  10. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    How many consecutive days we talking here?
  11. Scotty P

Oddometer:
    Are you in the clique?

:imaposer
  12. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you were going to start on the east side over by Lake George then I'd say to try Sportline Honda (https://www.sportlinepower.com) in Queensbury. That's where I bought my Africa Twin and I've got a couple of flyers for the ADK ADV Loop hanging in their showroom and they also participate in the Dirt Daze event so they may be willing to let you park on their property for a few days. Ask for Shane, he's their ADV guy.

On the west side the Tug Hill Plateau is a big snowmobiling destination in the winter and lots of people trailer their sleds up to the Barneveld/Remsen/Boonville area which is just north of Utica so there may be some options there. I just did a search on "Tug Hill Snowmobile Trailer Parking" and all sorts of info came up.

Other than that I can't think of anyplace in Utica itself to park a trailer.
    Scotty P likes this.
  13. Snowboy71

Snowboy71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I may head over and do at least part of this loop over the weekend. Would be coming from Vermont and intersecting it at Lk George or near Edgemont with the thought of going counterclockwise. There will times I think I'll need to short cut parts of the loop to make up time since I only have 2 days to do the loop and that's leaving from central vermont. Anyone on this list have suggestions for a nice place to camp around the western side of the loop this Saturday night?
  14. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are free first-come-first-serve camping spots along the roads in these areas (refer to map for area location number):
    Area 11 Stillwater-Big Moose Road
    Area 14 Piseco Road
    Area 16 Perkins Clearing Road

I think there are also some camping spots in the Otter Creek (Area 12) but they are mixed in with some private property so the sites may not be too apparent.

Keep in mind that in the Adirondack Park you can camp anywhere on state land given that you are at least 150' from any road, trail, or stream, and not in an area designated by "no camping" signs. There are also several state campgrounds located throughout the park. For more information check out: https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/camping.html

[​IMG]
    Snowboy71 likes this.
  15. Snowboy71

Snowboy71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the tips! To be seen whether I make it that far around to the west or cut across the mid section to start heading back east. Sort of hoping to drop into a campground with available sites when I get tired of riding but know it’s still nice out so possibly still busy in the park. I’ll check out the link you sent. Cheers!
  16. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. KCuv

KCuv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    im ready to go back, its so cool out there. IMG_3650.jpg
  18. DrHeinrich

DrHeinrich um.... huh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Psyched to ride this loop the week after next!
  19. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope some people are getting out to ride the route because the fall colors are brilliant right now.

I passed a couple of guys near Wells Hill Rd in the northeastern section today.

DSC_2856_DxO1000.jpg DSC_2868_DxO1000.jpg
    KCuv and Snowboy71 like this.
  20. DrHeinrich

DrHeinrich um.... huh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    In fact, yes! I rode the east and northern half yesterday and we'll see how much of the west I can do today before heading south and home.

I got to say, having ridden a number of routes here in the NE - all of which I am grateful for - I was NOT prepared for how AWESOME this route is.

I loved the northern 40 miles of the Hampster, but a lot of "tunnel of trees" otherwise, for example.

This loop, even the paved roads are gorgeous, varied, scenic, fun and the dirt roads all kinds of experience - not your average well-maintained track. Having a blast.

P.S. won't be able to do the larger portion of the western loop today. The days are too short and there is still frost on the pavement right now (08:30).

But I was thinking that this will be a great loop in the opposite direction - will feel fresh. Good to have three full days so you can take more in. I'd love to have five to really push side excursions. There is just so much here.

Attached Files:

dstutz likes this.