Adirondack ADV Loop

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by mgb71, Jun 21, 2018.

1. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was out riding the southern section today and veered off the route a bit to get a good look at the windmills in Fairfield with rain showers approaching from the west.
    FAIRFIELD_1_1200.jpg
    WINDMILLS_FAIRFIELD_1.jpg
  2. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ***UPDATE 06JUN2020***

I was out riding the northeast part of the loop today and found some road closures (closed to cars but motorcycles can still get through).

1) Mountain Springs Rd (just north of Mineville). There is a "ROAD CLOSED" sign at the south end of the road due to a washout about .75 miles up the road. It's only about 200' of rough stuff though and I got through it fine on my Africa Twin with very worn tires. The rest of the road is in good shape.
    MTN_SPRINGS_RD_1.jpg
    MTN_SPRINGS_RD_2.jpg
    MTN_SPRINGS_RD_3.jpg

2) Wells Hill Rd / Jay Mountain Rd just west of Lewis. Another "ROAD CLOSED" sign due to a washout towards the east end of the road. This is also rideable on a motorcycle. There are a couple of downed trees laying across the road but these are easy to ride over.
    WELLS_HILL_RD_11.jpg

WELLS_HILL_RD_2.jpg
    WELLS_HILL_RD_3.jpg
    WELLS_HILL_RD_4.jpg
    JAT_MTN_RD_1.jpg

Also worth mentioning is that Wolf Pond Road in the northern section of the loop is very washboarded in the sandy areas from all of the ATV's and SxS's using that road. Be very cautious as they drive very fast and I almost had a couple of head-on collisions today when 2 of them were coming way-too-fast around blind corners. Your best bet is to stay way to the right side of the road especially around the bends.
    WOLD_POND_RD_1.jpg
  3. charbs152

charbs152 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the update!
  4. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just camped along pisco road
    One other adv rider was also camped along here
    Entry from the south side was easy
    I made it up to the gate and couldn't get around the boulders on the far side
    That rocky washed out section was fun fully loaded.....
    Then I was like crap I need to go back out that way
    I did see trucks parked there
    So I assume you can make it in from route 10 side
    Good time to camp at the closed side as it was very peaceful
    And to the guy I spoke to who was camped there
    If your on here....hello 20200616_172652.jpg 20200615_201209.jpg
  5. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Access from the Rte 10 on the north side is easy but you go for 10 miles before getting to the boulders. I think there's a sign warning that the road is closed "10 miles ahead".

Could you make it around the gate? I figure if the gate was open a few guys could probably move one of the boulders enough to squeeze by.
  6. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is room to get by the gate
    The rocks are huge
    A smaller bike might fit, mine didn’t
  7. charbs152

charbs152 n00b

Oddometer:
    ECD6D4EB-4FD9-49D4-AF65-809DC50F97A5.jpeg 2FC92C3B-9DB6-4F46-9A41-A2C06F76D713.jpeg 002F19DA-98F3-47A2-A5CA-0DC39C22A343.jpeg

tolmantown road in mayfield is now completely passable.
  8. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update.
  9. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ***UPDATE 29JUNE2020***
    I've just updated my website with a new name and the Adirondack ADV Loop can be found here:

http://www.clideadv.com/adirondack_ADV_loop.html

I'm still reconfiguring the website so there will be some changes but the page location will remain the same.

Also, here's a preview of the route I'm working on across the southern tier of NY. I'm either going to call it the NY Southern Tier Adventure Route (NYSTAR) or the NY Southern Tier Exploration Route (NYSTER). It seems less about "adventure" and more about exploring the rolling farm land of central NY so I'm leaning towards NYSTER (New Yorkster ?). There are really some great seasonal dirt roads through this area (almost too many to choose from) but I've linked up ones that I think offer the best riding and the best scenery without being too convoluted.

Eventually I want to extend it all the way across the state but it's a long and tedious (but fun) process to ride all of these roads and sort it all out. I spent most of last summer and this season so far working on it.

So far:
    214 miles total (122 miles dirt, 92 miles pavement)

RED = DIRT
    BLUE = PAVEMENT
    NYSTER-1.jpg

To give an idea of how many dirt roads there are look at this map. All of the red & magenta are dirt but many if not most of them run onto private property and don't go all the way through or turn into unrideable jeep or snowmobile trails. I don't know how many times I found myself at the end of a road that turned into a mud bog or creek bed and had to turn around and get myself back out of it (my 500lb Africa Twin isn't the easiest thing to turn around when stuck in the mud).
    NYdirt-1.jpg

Some preview pics:
    nyster_500-1.jpg
    nyster_500-2.jpg nyster_500-3.jpg nyster_500-4.jpg nyster_500-5.jpg nyster_500-6.jpg nyster_500-7.jpg nyster_500-8.jpg
  10. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's awesome.
  11. charbs152

charbs152 n00b

Oddometer:
    What GPS's are recommended for loading these GPX files? I am new to this. Thanks so much!
  12. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. charbs152

charbs152 n00b

Oddometer:
    That gpsmap 64s looks perfect. i can find them online for $250 new or $200 refurb. what mount do you use for the bike?

I've looked at that forum and end up confusing myself even more! haha

i think a garmin is the best route. There are free maps with way-points etc for them correct? I see it doesn't come loaded with that stuff
  14. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While the Garmin 64s is weather resistant the power connection is not so if I'm riding in the rain I unplug it and run on battery power (2AA). There are better units out there for dedicated motorcycle touring but I also use mine for hiking and mountaineering so it works well for me.

The GPS unit will come with a base map which is very basic so you'll need to load up something better for any real navigation capabilities.

I purchased the Garmin City Navigator North America map (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/1456) which serves me well. I also have the TOPO US 100k (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/127633) which shows terrain with trails but isn't routable.

There are free maps out there but I've never found any as good as the Garmin maps for what I need.

15. voodoochilled

voodoochilled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for putting in all this work to share this with the rest of us. The NEBDR barely touched NY beyond the Catskills but your efforts sharing the rest of NY with the ADV community are much appreciated. Hope to do the ADK loop next year if not this year for sure.
    NoelJ likes this.
  16. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actually contacted the BDR guys about my NY routes but there didn't seem to be much interest from them. Doing it on my own is more my style anyway and it keeps it a bit more personal for me. I grew up in central NY so it's fun to travel those back roads with a different perspective now and I'm discovering that the whole southern tier is really an awesome area for adv riding. Virtually no traffic and the scenery through all of the rolling farmland is fantastic with each season bringing a whole new landscape. There are also quite a few state forests for camping options.

I think I'll have it head to the south into the Catskills at some point and also try to work out a link-up to the ADK Loop as well.

I'll post a GPX file for the route so far once I compile all of the track segments into one long track.
  17. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well the NYSTER is growing. I did some scouting on Monday and worked out more of the route starting to head south to the Catskills. There aren't any really long stretches of dirt roads so it's a matter of piecing a bunch of small segments together which makes for some enjoyable riding.

This route is definitely not about crossing the state in the most direct way possible but rather taking your time and exploring all of the less-traveled back roads.

So far:
    301 miles total (160 miles dirt, 141 miles pavement)
    RED = DIRT
    BLUE = PAVEMENT
    NYSTER-2.jpg

nyster_600-9.jpg nyster_600-10.jpg
    nyster_600-11.jpg nyster_600-12.jpg
    nyster_600-13.jpg nyster_600-14.jpg
    You can see the Catskill Mountains in the last pic.
  18. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    This may be the coolest thing on the site for me right now. Hope you keep working West!
  19. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live north of Albany so getting to the eastern region is doable as a day trip for me but I have gotten as far west as Watkins Glen in my scouting so far. Getting to the western side of the state is going to require more time than I have available right now so it is probably going to be another year or two before I complete the whole route.

Having people interested in the project is a motivation though!
    russ4ru, Luckycharms and Unhooked one like this.
  20. voodoochilled

voodoochilled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well if you keep creeping west in your exploration, may I interest you in the "Thrills in the Hills" loop in the Southern Tier of Western NY. This was originally a route (good mix of dirt and pavement) developed by the good guys at Wayne County Motorcycle Club. Until last year, dedicated volunteers from this club would hand-pin arrow signs on trees at each turn for the annual event. One of the organizers finally ran the ride on Rever and I helped him export the GPS track which was a big hit with the riders last year.

Maybe parts of this could eventually link to your ADK loop ;)

GPX file - Thrills in the Hills
    Link to Rever Ride

upload_2020-7-8_16-6-30.png