Adirondack ADV Loop

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by mgb71, Jun 21, 2018.

1. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a great addition - I got that somewhere and have ridden parts of it a few times.
  2. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is great. I think I've seen this loop before but having the GPX file makes it accessible to everyone. Does any of it go across private property or is it all on public roads & trails?

Maybe there can be several loops across NY state that are connected via the NYSTER.
  3. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    All public roads, some seasonal but mostly just nicely graded dirt.
  4. Dabba

Dabba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is awesome. Thanks. I live just north of utica so if you're exploring some dirt locally let me know!
  5. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I'll head up to the Tug Hill Plateau and explore around there but haven't gotten over there yet this year with all of my southern tier riding.

On Sunday I was riding down near Grand Gorge and got on a pretty crazy trail that started out as a forest service road and kept climbing up a hill getting progressively rockier and narrower on the way up until I reached a small clearing at the top (I saw a bear running down the trail on the way up!). I didn't really want to backtrack down all of the loose rocks so I kept going over the summit ridge and down the other side which got muddier and narrower with the final descent being a steep, loose, washed-out trail worse than the one I came up. I kept hoping that I wouldn't end up at a locked gate and have to do the whole trail in reverse (I don't know if I would be able to go back up this hill if I had to). When I came to the end I popped out on a road but there were "no trespassing" and "no motor vehicles" signs posted which was odd because the last half of the trail was a 4-wheeler track. In total it was only 4.5 miles but my arms were cooked after man-handling my Africa Twin through all of that.

The photo doesn't do the trail justice as that was the "easy" part in the beginning. I had to keep my momentum going on the way up so I really couldn't stop for photos and the way down I was doing everything I could to keep the bike upright (and I didn't dump it). I also didn't want to linger too long in the area once I saw all of the posted signs.

I probably won't include it in the NYSTER since it appears to run onto private property at some point but you can see where it is here if you want to check it out.

grandgorge_trail-1a.jpg

grandgorge_trail-2a.jpg
    jimmycapp, Dabba and Luckycharms like this.
  6. Dabba

Dabba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow. I havent ridden a dirtbike in about 15 years and my first time offroad in the mud with my GS I dumped it. The throttle is a lot snappier than my old dirtbike. It takes a lot getting used to and my off road is out of practice I'm not sure I'd be up for it, but I'd like to check it out sometime. Sounds pretty puckering on the way down.
  7. Dabba

Dabba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just thinking, what about the snowmobile trails in the park? I know outside the park a lot of the time they're on private land, but in the park, are they accessible?
  8. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In general snowmobile trails are prohibited for ATV/motorcycle use if they are within Adirondack Forest Preserve. There are some exceptions but the DEC is very strict about this so unless it is specifically designated for motor vehicle use (other than snowmobiles) then it is not allowed. You're more likely to find trails to ride on within the park that are on private land (with permission of course). It is a bit confusing because the Adirondack park is comprised of state and private land and most snowmobiles trails cross over both at multiple points.

Lewis County (on the west side of the Adirondacks) does have a good snowmobile trail network though which allows motorcycle/ATV/SxS use but you need to get a trail permit.

https://www.lewiscountyatv.org/

https://www.lewiscounty.org/departments/recreation-forestry-and-parks/recreation-forestry-and-parks
    voodoochilled likes this.
  9. Dabba

Dabba Adventurer

Oddometer:

I was looking into lewis county's stuff. I heard it's not that good and the trails look to be short sections between roads?
  10. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah the trails do cross quite a few roads so it's not like riding through the wilderness of the ADK park. I paid for a 3-day trail pass a couple of years ago and it was fun riding but seemed to be more suited for ATV's or small dirtbikes rather than bigger "adventure" bikes since some of the trails were pushing it for my KLR with big muddy ruts and stream crossings. I'd say it's worth going over there at least once to check it out.
  11. charbs152

charbs152 n00b

Oddometer:
    what made you go with the 100K topo maps vs the 24K northeast? 24K are rout-able and more detailed.

Thanks
  12. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't want to have to buy a topo map for each region in the US since I do a number of long cross-country trips. Also having all of those contour lines on the Topo maps makes is difficult to see on a small screen so I use City Navigator most of the time and then switch over to Topo US when I get into off-road situations where I need to read the terrain. The level of detail on 100k has been more than adequate for my needs and that includes using it for hiking/mountaineering. I don't think you'll gain much by going to 24k as everything gets really cluttered on the small screen of a GPSMap 64s. But if you just want to buy one map the Topo 24k may be the way to go.
  13. rbsride365

rbsride365 Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    There is a fun little strip of dirt called River Road that runs between Riparius and North Creek. I will check out your route sometime. There is tons of good stuff up that way. Even if it's paved. One of my favorite places to ride for sure.

I assume you've seen this?

http://www.advcatskills.org/Maps/
  14. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I've seen that before. It's not clear that all of the dirt roads shown are legal to ride on though.

I know that dirt road from North Creek to Riparius well and there are often people walking there dogs along that road so I always go very slow on it.
    rbsride365 likes this.
  15. Dabba

Dabba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you had trouble with a KLR not sure I should bring my GS800 with 15 year old dirtbike skills haha
  16. Footy

Footy Mostly riding in circles in VT.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting the tracks - I rode the top section on a 1200GSA (started in lake placid ended near Lake Champlain) with bald tires, very nice route. Going back with new shoes this weekend or perhaps next to do some more of it. Thanks again.
  17. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Did you make it through Wolf Pond Rd. or Jay Mt. Rd. with those tires? Any pics?

On Sunday I did some more scouting on the west end of the NYSTER. I ended up riding quite a few dirt roads and trails that turned into dead-ends but still managed to add some to the route. I found some state forests with some really cool dirt roads through them. It was a 400-mile day for me starting at about 8am and not getting home until almost 10pm. I think any more scouting missions further to the west will have to be overnight trips.

I think once I get down to the Catskills on the east end I'll have it head back towards the west and create a loop.

349 miles so far (182 dirt, 167 pavement)
    NYSTER-3.jpg
    NYSTER-4.jpg
    IMG_3965_800.jpg
    IMG_3968_800.jpg
    IMG_3971_800.jpg
    IMG_3975_800.jpg
  18. Dabba

Dabba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ill post photos later, but I hit some snowmobile trails when my gps tried taking me to stillwater from old forge. Got a bit lost and eventually found my way but it was pretty much all dirt. The trails north of old forge are all dead ends because youll hit gates but I think you can loop back to eagle bay no issue.
  19. Footy

Footy Mostly riding in circles in VT.

Oddometer:
    I managed just about everything north of Lake Placid / Saranac except, I came into the Loon Lake portion off of 26 and made it almost all the way to Buck Pond campgrounds but it was getting late and I had almost washed out a couple of times. Most of the quad parades had disappeared. New tires are on the bike if I can sneak away this weekend going to get over there again. Unfortunately no pictures, I can report that section is in good shape, an inch or less of sand with some gravel mixed in.
  20. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for posting this and for the inconvenient westward movement. Pretty exciting "next summer" planning for me. Love those woods-lined dirt roads; reminds me of home and forty years ago when I was a kid.