Adirondack ADV Loop

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by mgb71, Jun 21, 2018.

1. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish I had more time to work on this but the job thing is getting in the way! Summer seems to be going by fast but I think I can get as far as Ithaca or Watkins Glen this year. I did some scouting out that way last year so now I need to go back and sort out the best roads to link up for the route.
    voodoochilled likes this.
  2. schafnp

schafnp Sure, I like fun.

Oddometer:
    Rode the North section last Saturday; two of us on 1090 ADV Rs, trailered out from NH. Really good track and a great trip. Camped on rt 9 South of Elizabethtown, in a turnoff down the road from the Bouquet River Campsite. Left the truck and trailer there. Every campground in NY was full or wouldn't take same day reservations (of course we didn't decide to go until Friday morning...) Had no problem camping off the side of the road, however, and it was a good spot to leave the truck. Started about 8am after some breakfast, and rode hard all day. Roads were dry and fast. Jay Mountain Road is a must. Lots of sand up on the Northern sections, enough to give us a workout. We ran North of the track to Malone and had lunch/fueled up. 291 miles total, and it was a full day of fast riding. Thanks for the track it really took the guesswork out of finding a good route. The trail system is not easy to navigate if you don't already know your way around.

Attached Files:

mgb71 likes this.
  3. schafnp

Oddometer:
    Off 86 (There was a port-a-john there)

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      859.4 KB
      Views:
  4. schafnp

Oddometer:
    I believe this is at the bridge crossing the Saranac at Howe Rd. My bike rolled of the kick-stand right before this pic, it was the only time it was down all day...

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      906.9 KB
      Views:
  5. schafnp

Oddometer:
    Blue Mountain rd (maybe)

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      621.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Toward the end of a long day to Saranac Lake last week, I took Uncas and Brown’s Tract Rds. between Eagle Bay and Raquette Lake. Easy dirt and gravel, a bunch of small cabins clustered in spots it was a pleasant and needed diversion. Somewhere on Browns Tract the town was grading the road, scraping was more like it. A few miles of loose dirt and rocks of various sizes, it became just challenging enough I now had to pay closer attention to what I was doing with the heavy beast.

Thanks to mgb71 for this effort. I’ve been to ADK a number of times but as others have noted, finding decent legal dirt/gravel roads that actually go somewhere isn’t the easiest thing. Look forward to being able to spend more time up there riding more sections.
  7. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're lucky you found anywhere to park and camp around Elizabethtown and Keene Valley. It has been crazy busy up there the past few weeks and the DEC has been limiting parking to encourage social distancing (though I don't think it's working because there are still lots of people on the trails).

Glad it all worked out.
  8. DM BEVIS

DM BEVIS n00b

Oddometer:
    Gotta love this site, I was actually planning a finger lakes adirondacks ride today and decide to to check here to see if there any dirt sections! Perfect, probably add a side trip through my old hometown area Schagticoke and Saratoga
  9. Ridethat

Ridethat Ride Orange

Oddometer:
    Is this ride Adventure bike friendly? Do you know the road vs dirt miles?
  10. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I finally got around to joining together all of my track segments for the NYSTER into one long track. So far it's 349 miles with 182 miles of dirt/gravel/seasonal roads.

I've attached the GPX file for what is shown here. I'm heading out this weekend to work on the western end of it and hopefully get to route 81 and maybe as far as Ithaca.

349 miles total (182 miles dirt, 167 miles pavement)
    RED = DIRT
    BLUE = PAVEMENT

NYSTER-5.jpg
    350R, Luckycharms, AdvRich and 4 others like this.
  11. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went out this weekend and added about 36 miles to the west end of the NYSTER and found some really great terrain to ride allowing for a couple of harder options on the route.

One goes through a muddy Jeep trail through the Hoxie Gorge State Forest. There was a gate when I got to the end of the trail but I was able to ride around it.

The other follows a drainage down near the Greak Peak ski resort. Riding down it was no problem but coming back up was a bit of a challenge on my KLR. I'm sure my Africa Twin would make it up no problem but anything more street-oriented than that would have some difficulties.

I also found a really great viewpoint overlooking Greak Peak at the top of a powerline in Tuller Hill State Forest. There is a big fire ring and benches up there and it would probably make an awesome campsite. I talked to some local guys on 4-wheelers and they said the power company owns the land along the powerline but since it runs right through the state forest they allow people to ride along them. There are all sorts of side trails to explore in these state forests but most of them seem to dead end at some point.

The route goes right under Rte. 81 which is kind of cool.

I've attached the updated GPX file which includes the harder options.

387 miles total (203 miles dirt, 184 miles pavement)
    RED = DIRT
    BLUE = PAVEMENT

NYSTER-6.jpg
    NYSTER-7.jpg

nyster_600-15.jpg
    nyster_600-16.jpg
    nyster_600-19.jpg
    nyster_600-20.jpg
    nyster_600-21.jpg
    nyster_600-22.jpg

Attached Files:

350R and Brutalguyracing like this.
  12. Mad_Rabbit

Mad_Rabbit n00b

Oddometer:
    Been riding the loop clockwise from Utica. Great fun! Also Piseco road bridge is closed and impassible. Apparently up to last week you could get four wheelers and such past but someone moved a barrier, drove a car up, and blew out an oil pan. The state parked the equipment so you can barely walk around it. If you're looking for campsites and coming from the South nearby (as we were). Stewart's landing has a cool grassy spot right under the dam that works.

Attached Files:

13. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know if you saw this but I posted a re-route due to the Piseco Rd. closure back on May 26:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/adirondack-adv-loop.1322933/page-5

I ran into a DEC ranger over there a few weeks ago and he said they may have Piseco Rd repaired by late fall this year.

There was also a road closed (Padanarum Rd) over by Lake George that I noted.
  14. Ridethat

Ridethat Ride Orange

Oddometer:
    Just want to give a ride report on our weekend trip which included the NYSTER. We headed out Thursday from Lancaster PA and road the MABDR route north to Ithaca and spent the night. Friday we started out on the NYSTER with the hopes of making it to Albany (off course - short detour but only lodging we could find). We had a few tire issues (2 flats) but were able to make it to our destination in Albany. Saturday we finished the NYSTER and then picked up the NEBDR and headed south west toward Hancock (official start of NEBDR) We spend the night in Hancock and then Sunday morning we picked up a track from ADV Rider called Upper Delaware to Stroudsburg which headed towards Lancaster. We ended up bailing and riding slab home due to a leaking radiator on one of the bikes. Overall 1100 miles and an awesome ride, Thanks all for the GPX files View attachment 2569919

Attached Files:

bkendig76 and mgb71 like this.
  15. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome seeing that some people have ridden the route!
  16. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    Next time, add in some of this. It keeps ye off some more of the main roads.
    JT CNY official.png
  17. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've seen that before but it doesn't appear that route is entirely on public property. Are all of those roads and trails legal to ride?
  18. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    yea,
    Yeah, its all local tar, dirt and seasonal roads, all legal.
  19. Cannon KLR

Cannon KLR n00b

Oddometer:
    I am a new member to the forum and created an account just to comment on this thread. Ithaca/ Dryden is my home riding area. I have dirt roads / trails all over the Ithaca CNY area on track files. Once I figure out how to export from Basecamp, I will upload to this thread. I am able to connect your route that ends by Greek Peak to the end of the MABDR in Lawrenceville PA. These are some of my favorite seasonal roads that I shred on my way home from work. Excited to share, more to follow!
    NoelJ and Luckycharms like this.
  20. Dabba

Dabba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm just north of utica. I'm down to go for a ride on any of these routes if anyone's going.