Adirondack ADV Loop

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by mgb71, Jun 21, 2018.

1. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be awesome! I rode the northern part of the MABDR in 2019 and got as far south as Winchester, VA and thought it would be great to link it up to the the NYSTER. That stretch from Ithaca to the PA border is a bit out of my way for regular scouting trips so it would be much appreciated if you could share your knowledge.

Ironically the only trip I made out to Ithaca this summer was on my bicycle back in August. I rode from my home in Glens Falls out around the Finger Lakes and back home. 450 miles in 6 days.

cayuga_lake_1.JPG
    rkdwp likes this.
  2. Cannon KLR

Cannon KLR n00b

Oddometer:
    Neat! I just did the northern part of the BDR the other weekend, got down to Shippensburg PA. For your bicycle trip, that is a heck of a bike packing trip! I too did a 350 mile bike packing trip from Pittsburgh to DC on the GAP and the C&O canal last summer. I was really hoping to get down to Harper's Ferry on the MABDR to take the same picture a year apart with two different bikes.

But anyways I set out on the first 100 miles of you NYSTER route on Saturday from Dryden. Very awesome route. The roads and trails behind Greek Peak are probably some of the most fun in the area. Being a local I added a couple of fun roads into the mix too. I will make a map to update those for you. I want to comment that the hard section that is marked just East of I81 is not really open for our types of adventure bikes. I was traveling west to east and and eventually that service road becomes a snow mobile trail that 4x4s take. When the purple track comes back to Steve Russell Hill rd. there is a gate. Unfortunately when I popped up to the gate there was a guy there locking it up and told me to go back where I came from. Luckily he was not the DEC or else that would have been a ticket.
    upload_2020-10-12_19-6-35.png

Below is the extension route that I can add to the NYSTER that I have had in my arsenal conveniently before stumbling upon your post. I scouted more out on my end on Friday and I am going to add some better roads to it. I am also going to delete the southern end of my tracks and route it more north. I was not a fan of the gravel roads in that area. Got kinda board. My end goal is to stay up near the finger lakes tail with a spur to the MABDR and connecting it to the Thrillsinthehill loop that was posted earlier in this thread.
    upload_2020-10-12_19-25-57.png
  3. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that update. When I scouted that area in the Hoxie State Forest I ran into a couple of locals riding through there in a Jeep who said it was ok but that part of the trail leading up to the gate seemed like it was probably not open for the general public. I'll remove it from the GPX file.

Do you have a GPX file for your route? I may try to get down there this fall.
  4. Cannon KLR

Cannon KLR n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your patience, here is the .GPX file I created.

I scrapped the route from my previous post because south of Van Etten I thought was boring and I will make the attachment to the MABDR south of where I left with this NYSTER. I rode it this last weekend and made some modifications to keep it exciting. I made it to Watkins Glen but have enough trails to get to Bath NY. Figured I would put this out now and continue working west in the next month or so. I included gas stops in town close by and primitive camping sites I have stayed at or know of.

I am not much one for taking photos while I ride, but I did manage to snap this picture on the route overlooking Seneca Lake above Watkins Glen.

KLR on Seneca.jpg

Attached Files:

mgb71 and NoelJ like this.
  5. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice looking KLR.

Thanks for posting this. If the weather is good over Thanksgiving then I may head out and ride this.

Do you know how much is dirt vs pavement?
  6. Cannon KLR

Cannon KLR n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Is there an easy way to tell using Basecamp? But, I would say probably 60-70%. a quick way to get an estimate is to change the layer on the GPX above and look where there is sections of dark green tree patches. Those are the state forests that have the best dirt roads.
  7. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have City Navigator loaded into Basecamp and that shows the dirt roads so I break the route up into segments for dirt and pavement and then add them up (I actually do this in Excel so I can go back and update the info if I change part of the route).

I love that orange with the black of your KLR. Don't see that very often. I'll trade you for my 2006...
    KLR-1_800.jpg
  8. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was checking out your GPX file in Basecamp and see that I had actually scouted all of those roads in 2019 and was planning on going back to link them all up this summer but ran out of time. I do remember some really good riding through that area.

How did you create your tracks? I use routing with City Navigator and then check them for accuracy against my own ridden tracks. City Navigator is pretty accurate most of the time.

NYSTER_Ithaca.jpg
  9. Cannon KLR

Cannon KLR n00b

Oddometer:
    Haha good looking bike, but I will stick with my whale. I just make a continuous track clicking point by point. I did not realize there was a better way. I would get the roads by either knowing which ones from experience or by referencing gravelmap.com, google map, and/or zooming in until I see roads that are dashed lines on Basecamp. I would then go ride the sections to make sure I liked it.
  10. mgb71

mgb71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have any maps loaded into Basecamp? I have Garmin City Navigator (routable) and TOPO US 100k (non-routable).

With City Navigator it shows the dirt roads as dashes and it'll create routes along those roads which can then be converted into tracks.

I'm amazed at how accurate the Garmin maps are. Well worth the money for me.
    CityNav_1.jpg

CityNav_2.jpg