adirondack park ny...good dirt roads

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Desert Penguin, Apr 20, 2007.

1. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks Conibear for that info. I noticed that your link to the map came from a www.Foresport web address. Are you from that area? Some great dirt roads for exploring out that way. This pic was taken outside the Buffalo Head Restuarant during a dualsport ride lunch break.
    Buffalo Head.jpg
  2. conibear

conibear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's Forestports most famous landmark! Nice to see all those dual sports there. I live just up the road a-ways.

Yes there are some good dirt roads around there and we aren't too far from the Tug Hill area - probably the best dual sport riding in the state.
  3. Rode2Nowhere

Rode2Nowhere Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eh? What's that?

This just in: conibear's offering guided DS tours of the ADKs this spring. :evil

Excellent!

:hide

Seriously, it would be cool to get a nice day trip together. Does anything usually happen in the DS world for Americade?
  4. conibear

Oddometer:
  5. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    I am pretty much ALWAYS up for a ride:evil Can't wait till spring. Max BMW had some off road demo rides last year at Americade. If you signed up officially for the whole week I guess there was a dual sport ride map available.

I'm hosting a Moto Movie night Friday Feb 1 if any of you local guys wanna stop by PM me for details.

Tony

Edited: Friday is the 1st not the 2nd! duh
  6. byronjet

byronjet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are a few dirt/4x4 roads that span between Stony Creek and the Northville area, I have yet to check them out, anyone interested in a ride in the near future?

Map of the area
    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=43.36457&lon=-74.12286&s=200&size=l&u=4&datum=nad83&layer=DRG

If your in the Saratoga area, Lake Desolation Rd in Greenfield is great fun, mix of dirt and tarmac over the Kayderosseras Range. The Kayderosseras is littered with trails and dirt roads, it's mostly private/leased property so discression is advised as well as knobby tires as it tends to get muddy in areas.

Cheers,
    Jethro
  7. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    I was through the Cedar River-Limekiln Lake road last year.
    [​IMG]
    I passed through there a few years back in my Jeep and thought it would be a good road on the bike.
    Who would of thought it would be illegal on a motorcycle but not in a Jeep?
    A few miles in I got stopped by a ranger asking if I read the sign on the way in.
    I sheepishly asked "the one that said 15 mph?"
    "No the one that said no motorcycles."
    "Not even street legal ones?"
    No motorcycles period :scratch
    He was really cool about it,said he dual-sported too and was trying to get the rule changed.
    He also said your more than 1/2 through so you might as well keep going:thumb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a shame we are being discriminated against once again in New York.
    We pay for a ATV plate for years and still nowhere to legally ride.
    Talk about taxation without representation
    Now being kept off because you have 2 wheels instead of 4??
    What can we do...
  8. conibear

Oddometer:
    Loop containing Brown's Tract and Limekiln - Cedar River road, with a little detour over to the Chimney Mountain trailhead.

My experiences were similiar to enduro0125's. I think September is probably the quietest time there, after the summer tourists and before hunting season.

[​IMG]

Both times I've rode through there I've seen moose tracks - the Moose River Plains lives up to its name! It really is a nice ride.

Attached Files:

9. conibear

Oddometer:
    :D
  10. conibear

Oddometer:
    Larger 2 day loop. I think the interesting parts are at South Creek lake, which looked like it would be a good place to camp for the night, and along Tooley Pond Road. Tooley Pond road is paved but it was a nice ride along the Grass River and had a nice view of Nelson Falls. I didn't see any other people or vehicles until I got to south end where there were a few camps.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nelson Falls
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. conibear

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Route containing dirt roads Powley-Piseco Road, Military Road, and Farr Road, North Lake Road (unpaved at north end). There are a bunch of primitive campsites around North Lake, and a little further up the road at South Lake. There are primitive campsites along Powley Piseco too.

There is a motorcycle restriction on the conservation easement at the north end of North Lake. I thnk the state should have gotten more for our money...

Attached Files:

12. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    You mean Mr Spitzers money!Just ask him he'll tell you.The whole state is NEW YORK CITY.
    I to,like my fellow New York dual sporters am discusted with the politics in our great state[Teddy Roseveilt is turn'n in his grave]and have decided to spend my dirt time in the state of Vermont,and of all places New Jersey!
    The threads you guys have posted give me new reasons to try finding places in New York again.I will try some of the rides posted in this thread,and get my ass and my two wheels back up in the ADK park.
    Thanks!Let us all know when you guys need company,maybe theres a way to put together a good conecting route and make a annual upstate ride.
  13. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Awm, good idea. My buddies and I are planning a trip through the ADKS and I've been routing out the off road areas. Havn't had a chance to look at all your maps Conibear but they confirm many of my routes in the area. Most of my time has been near Still water and up near Paul Smiths'.
    I guess the state would shit themselves if they new I road the dl1000 through the Eagle trail! :lol3 Heck, I almost shit myself getting it through there! But this year I'll be back on the KLR:thumb

Attached Files:

14. buildit

Oddometer:
    In the spirit of sharing I thought I'd add this one. Been almost 20 years since I been down this rd, but back when it was a real thrill ride!:thumb
  15. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Nice,like i said get a hold when your up here.I'll pull out the DR.
  16. buildit

Oddometer:
    PM sent. If your looking for a trail to check out this one isn't on any of conibears maps. So I don't know if it's any good.:dunno
  17. LIVSTROM

LIVSTROM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just going to throw my 2 cents in the ring. I ride alot by indian lake. There is a ski mountain in indian lake, the surrounding area is owned by a logging company you can ride all the logging trails. I had alot of fun on a KLR in July.
  18. dancolin

dancolin Weeeehaaa!

Oddometer:
    wow! i didnt realize there was so many fellow ADVers here in upstate NY..
    i ride with a good size group of DSers.. it would be cool if we could all get togather to ride sometime..:clap
    mjs91882 likes this.
  19. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    Count me in! Hey Dan? I noticed one of your pics "Luzerne along the Hudson". When you get to the "end" of that road did you notice that there seem to be a couple different ways you can go that don't have posted signs? I was there last summer but it was a little slimey and my bud was with me on his Weestrom. I'd like to go back with the GPS and see just how far away from another road you are when your at the end.

Tony
  20. byronjet

byronjet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey another area rider here, I grew up in the Hadley-Luzerne School district and know that area quite well up along the hudson, it is state land and there are disignated seasonal trails through there. I am totaly up for a ride with the local DS crowd, even a winter ride!