Admirals Voyages (w/photo's & Video's)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by TheAdmiral, May 5, 2012.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eastern Oregon Desert Ride - Weekend One

Day 1. Mrs. Admiral was sick and stayed at camp. I went out riding solo.

Cottonwood Creek Campsite. There is a cottonwood tree there.
    [​IMG]

Eastern Oregon-Cottonwood Creek Day 1

Ride in and around Cottonwood Creek in Eastern Oregon. Lookin' for old ranches, homesteads and what not. Bike quit on me. Got it running later on but not before I had pushed the "Help" button on the SPOT Locator (no cell service where I was riding). Pushed the "OK" button when I got back to camp. Found out later help was on the way but aborted rescue when "I'm OK" message was received. Wife had stayed at camp all day cause she was sick. I went out for an evening ride and got caught in the rain. Wife went looking for me when I didn't return on time. We all ended back at camp. Heck of a day for sure.

New TWoyhauler worked great
    [​IMG]

We only got this one because it has a separate garage keep any fuel fumes from the living quarters. Love that we can now keep our gear in here and not drag it in & out of the shop.
    [​IMG]

Line shack. Building doesn't look real old but the fencing does.
    [​IMG]

Good place to know if bad weather moves in.
    [​IMG]

Then I rode down to the site of the "Stringer Shearing Plant". I think the outfit was called Stringer Bros. and it's where they sheared sheep.
    [​IMG]

I think the outfit was called Stringer Bros. and it's where they sheared sheep.
    [​IMG]

My father in law had heard of the Stringers. They once were a huge sheep outfit. From the road above looking down where the plant used to be. Ran into a fellow the next day and he said the BLM burned down the building about 15 years ago. Lost history.
    [​IMG]

Then found an old homestead ruins. I believe it was a homestead. We'll be finding a lot of these old homesteads this weekend and the next weekend we rode out here.
    [​IMG]

Man cave. I don't know if this is natural or was dug out. Looked cool so I took a picture.
    [​IMG]

It's on private property I believe but there wasn't a "no trespassing" sign, so I got lucky on this one. Sometimes the old homesteads are on private property and BEHIND no trespassing signs which sucks cow patties.
    [​IMG]

Later on down the road my TW quit on me and I couldn't get it re-started. This started the pushing the SPOT help button saga. Wasn't really a saga but help was on the way until I got the TW started about an hour later and pushed the OK button when Mrs. Admiral informed me she wasn't the only emergency contact. I thought Mrs. Admiral was the only emergency contact and pushed the help button even though I knew we(she) were not in cell coverage. Maybe there was a chance it would get through.
    [​IMG]

At camp I pushed the ok button to call off any possible help coming our way. It was and good thing Mrs. Admiral told me to push the ok button. We (I) didn't realized what all was going on as we weren't in cell coverage

until I got here. I stopped here and all of sudden my cell phone started chiming with incoming messages.
    [​IMG]

It was everyone messaging me and each other and then acknowledging I was ok. Weird, no cell coverage anywhere and then to get it at this spot in the middle of nowhere.
    [​IMG]

By the way, IT IS NOT 13 MILES to Highway 20 from this spot. It's more like 5 miles. How did they get that so so wrong. Couple miles to Squaw Creek Reservoir is right as we found out the following ride weekend.
    [​IMG]

Went a mile or two west on Hwy 20 towards Juntura. Here is one of the two replacement "Shoe Tree's". The second one on down the road is easier to see and has more tree's. They both replaced an older "shoe tree" of which I have no idea why that one is gone but I do remember seeing it years ago passing by.
    [​IMG]

From here I headed back east to Harper. Unknowingly, a storm was coming, I was late getting back to camp so Mrs. Admiral ventured out to find me. Only because I had the earlier issue with Scoob starting. We missed each other when she was on the highway and I took a side road to Harper. Then I got caught in the storm with no rain gear and no Mrs. Admiral at camp when I got back. She came back about an hour after I got back and everything was ok. This storm part is in the video as I didn't take time to stop in the rain to take anymore photos.

Up next, Weekend 1, Day 2
    zoid, Bobo413, Ride Now and 4 others like this.
  2. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on snagging the TWoyhauler. Looks like it ought to do the job.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome shots from the eastern Oregon adventure @TheAdmiral! And I really like that toy hauler; talk about a perfect thing for base camp :ricky:thumb:thumb

Hadn't heard of Juntura before, didn't know we had a town in OR named that (lol). Looks like a great place to base from, and really cool to head out and explore the area and find old ruins, etc.

Such great territory out that way, further north than I've ridden, might have to explore some day.

Looking forward to the next update :D
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    The TWoyhauler has been great though we can't get into the deep camp spots like we could with our pickup camper. We'll try to raise the camper but it's pretty tall as it is. I tore up the back a little (camper spare tire removed and rear jacks bent) on a trip to the Black Hills. Doesn't take much. Oops. Most of the time I now have 3 bikes in the back, the 2 TW's and an XT200 as backup which came in handy on an upcoming trip as I started to experience a mechanical problem on my TW on this trip as mentioned above.

Thanks for stopping by.
  5. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've been through Juntura many times on the highway headed to Bend. Always wanted to camp in the general area and finally got it done this year. We'd breezed through some of the area but never camping before. We saturated riding the area spread out over 2 weekends. We still missed a lot.

Rides posted on Forums like Advrider by you and others for example have given great idea's of where we'd like to ride and explore. Wide open country but still lots to see if you get off the main roads. Lots of what we see are off the main gravel & dirt roads even. Hope you enjoy more upcoming.
  6. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Weekend One - Day Two
    Mrs. Admiral lives. We ride together on day 2. I have a lot on the agenda to try and fit in for the days ride so lets get going.

Stopped at, and I'll call it a homesteader cemetery, the Littlefield Cemetery. Legend has it all the Littlefields passed away out at the nearby Littlefield Ranch. I found an obituary for Xeno Littlefield, buried here, and it looks like a son not buried here, married and lived elsewhere I presume so the legend may just be that. A legend.
    Xeno
    [​IMG]

The Matriarch
    [​IMG]
    (Ontario Argus 12-4-1941The Ontario Argus
    Ontario, Oregon
    Dec. 4, 1941

Veteran Stockman Dies Here After Long Illness

Funeral services were held Monday at the Beatty funeral home for Xeno E.
    Littlefield, 66, who died at the Holy Rosary hospital last Saturday after
    several months illness. Interment was made at the family plot at the
    Skullsprings ranch. The Reverand Fred J. McConnelee was in charge of the
    service.

Mr. Littlefield, a tanner by trade, was born at Clinton, Iowa on March 22, 1875
    and came to Malheur County 48 years ago, settling in the Skullsprings region
    where he continued to make his home until a month ago, when he came to Ontario
    to be with his mother, Mrs. Esther Elliott.

He is survived by his mother, his wife, Mrs. Laura Littlefield, his son, and
    daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Claude of American Falls, Idaho, another
    son and a daughter.)

Eastern Oregon-Cottonwood Creek Day 2

More exploring for old homesteads. Didn't make it to the first old homestead ranch as the trail has washed out in many places throughout the years. During the non-rattlesnake season, I'll go back and maybe hike the rest of the way to the homestead. In Google Earth, I can still see there are buildings.

We then head off to find another homesteader ranch call Gugle Ranch or something like that.
    [​IMG]
    The sagebrush looks like ranch protection. The map shows a trail up Cottonwood Creek to the ranch.
    [​IMG]

Well, I thought we were good to go. Unfortunately, the trail is overgrown and in other places washed out making it extremely tough to ride to the ranch. Maybe I'll return one day to bushwhack ride or hike my way into the Gugle Ranch. Google Earth still shows the ranch buildings so it's not a waste of time. It will be fun.
    [​IMG]

So we retreat back the way we came past the sagebrush sentries.
    [​IMG]

On the way out I spotted this water trough. Maybe this was moonshine for the cattle.
    [​IMG]
    Heading to another homestead cabin and Mrs. Admiral spots this dam. We passed through the old Harry Littlefield Ranch and this is called Littlefield Reservoir. Wonder why it's named that. (Note: the Harry Littlefield Ranch is sometimes called Skull Springs Ranch on account the ranch is on Skull Creek. Go figure).
    [​IMG]

I believe this was hand built per se'.
    [​IMG]
    Further on down the trail we make it to the Sutherland Cabin.
    [​IMG]
    Owners have allowed access and people have used it in the past
    [​IMG]
    But not within the last week or two that's for sure
    [​IMG]
    Times getting short but I have another ranch on the list. However, we run it to this first. From a distance I'm asking myself, "self, what the heck is that down yonder".

"Bob's Mission Bus" I think it said. I wonder if the owner was related to the Partridge Family.
    [​IMG]

It was actually used as a cabin and there was a fence attached. I think it was for a horse or something but the hay was rotted so it's been a day or two since the owners had left.
    [​IMG]

Kind of got the whole Partridge Family color thing started on the bus. I think Bob thought he was Capt. Kaos. I believe Bob's mission failed.
    [​IMG]

And there ya go. End of the first weekend in the Eastern Oregon Desert. I should mention, we didn't make it to the ranch ruins we intended to but we made it on the next trip going on a different trail.
    [​IMG]

Next up, Weekend Two. We ride with the outlaws...or is it inlaws? Whatever!
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah, really cool to see those old homesteads. And the Littlefield cemetery with headstones is super neat, I think it's awesome you're out there exploring Oregon's history like that :thumbup :thumb

It's amazing how lucky we are to have the means and desire to go explore like this. I remember when I came back from my SE Oregon ride and related parts of the trip to some folks. Some had never even heard of the Steens or the Alvord - and these were lifetime Oregonian peeps. Seems the majority of people never get out of the PDX area, which is a-ok with me as there's too damn many of 'em as it is...lol.

In any event, looking forward to the next update!
    dammitdave and TheAdmiral like this.
  8. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's that say on the side? I can make out 'I can hurl Tennis Rackets
    Moving Objects with Deadly
    I Have ……… Many Covert
    For the...…….'
    Very mysterious indeed!
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  9. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    From a short distance away I thought Danny Bonaduce stole the old Partridge Family Bus but as I got closer I could see it was Bob aka Capt Kaos!

This is what I could get from some video:

"I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I have performed many covert operations for the USofA. I sleep once a week." Can't read entire last sentence but it starts with, "When I do sleep...".

I'm glad Capt Kaos wasn't home. :lol3
    B10Dave likes this.
  10. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use to wonder why more people didn't get out and ride, hike or whatever more than they do. Now, I secretly hope many stay home as I've learned to enjoy the places many haven't seen (and won't).

Steens and Alvord are on my list. One day by gosh. Glad you're enjoying our romp around the area.
    LittlePosum and B10Dave like this.
  11. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eastern Oregon Old Homestead Ride Day 1

We liked it out here so much we went back
    [​IMG]

On Memorial Weekend
    [​IMG]

With the in-laws
    [​IMG]

Woke up one morning and found this bear peaking into the door
    [​IMG]

Just kidding. With the new TWoyhauler, we're able to put a gate up in the back so Georgie and Roscoe can be secure while we're off riding.
    [​IMG]

In the last post we tried to make it to a homestead ruins but couldn't make it past the "bus ranch". After a few years of hoping to make it here, I finally made it to King Brown's cabin ruins.
    [​IMG]

Not everyone who tried could make a go of it out here.
    [​IMG]
    (Nathaniel King Rider Brown) After he married Hattie Stiles, then lived at King Brown Cabin, located in Malheur County, Oregon. On Google Earth, the area looks very lonesome and barren. But you can see scarring on the ground where the cabin stood. Died 15 Jul 1955 in Caldwell, Canyon, Idaho, USA. https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Brown-22680

From here we were headed over to show the in-laws the Harry Littlefield Ranch when we unexpectedly came across the "Copeland Place" (ranch).
    [​IMG]

They made it much longer than a lot of folks except for the still active ranches out here.
    [​IMG]

Old horse drawn hay wagon
    [​IMG]

Remnants of the old windmill. The Copeland Place was a treasure trove of old ranch implements and things
    [​IMG]

The dreams of the dreamers are all gone now though
    [​IMG]

We took the in-laws over to the Harry Littlefield Ranch and Dam which I've shown pictures of above but we also stopped at the old Miller Cabin. Miller wasn't home anymore.
    [​IMG]

I wonder how sturdy this cabin was...ever?
    [​IMG]

And this ended our only day riding with the in-laws who headed out the next morning.
    [​IMG]

Riding out in neature to a few more old eastern Oregon homesteads. History is neat because it is.

More to come
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    That's a seriously cool picture. Can you imagine how long it must have taken to gather all those rocks and build the 4 walls :eek7:eek7. The people of yesteryear were made of sterner stuff than nearly everyone today.

That picture reminds me of a rock wall fence or boundary I came across as I made my way from Plush to Fisher Hot Springs - hard to believe folks built that stuff by hand.

Great pics and really cool that you were out there with the in-laws. I've been trying to get my mom-in-law and her better half to buy TW200s so they could do some fun stuff like this with us, but it's a double-edged sword...then we wouldn't have anyone to watch the boys...lol.

Looking forward to seeing the "more to come" update :thumbup:thumbup
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  13. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eastern Oregon Ride Day 2 Juntura Loop
    The adventure continues the next day.

Little cute reservoir. An oasis in this dry climate
    [​IMG]

Ride from camp to Monument Peak Lookout on our way to Juntura for "Dinner". Rode into Juntura and took a rest in the schoolyard. Then a couple hour loop around Juntura and back in town for dinner. Then back to camp. Ran into a band of sheep on the way back. We stopped and a short time later the sheepherder told us to go on through. So we did. Fun weekend.

Sometimes shade is hard to find in the desert environment. It's not even hot and we're parking our bikes in the shade
    [​IMG]

Don't get stranded up here. Not many people and it's a rough ride. Worth the views though.
    [​IMG]

The old Monument Peak Lookout site.
    [​IMG]

The lookout was removed. Bummer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had lunch here
    [​IMG]

From here we rode across ranch land to Juntura, OR for dinner. We arrived to early and sat in the shade at the old school (still in use). We then rode a loop around the area before coming back into town for dinner.
    [​IMG]

Ve den rode back to camp but had a minor slowdown. Not too long after we stopped the sheep herder motioned for us to go on through. Jumping sheep everywhere. For the record, I did not count sheep in my head when I went to sleep that night. I fell asleep all on my own.
    [​IMG]

Next morning we went out for a short ride. Here is a picture of an old ranch cabin from a distance. Private property no trespassing kept me from getting any closer than what the zoom on the camera would allow. I would like to have gotten to explore the cabin but I try to observe private property especially when posted and I know it's private property.
    [​IMG]

Took Mrs. Admiral to the Stringer Sheep Shearing Plant site. Found some evidence of human occupation
    [​IMG]

Couple neat pictures of Cottonwood Creek near the plant
    [​IMG]

I can imagine the workers cooling off in the creek after a hard days work
    [​IMG]

It would make a great campsite but can't get our camper back here. Too remote and the road is, well, not really a road anymore.
    [​IMG]

Then took Mrs. Admiral to the cowboy line shack I'd visited the previous weekend when she was sick.
    [​IMG]

Cowboys days are pretty much gone. Blame progress...and millennial's lol.
    [​IMG]

We did find one of the few in the area geocache's on our way home along the main road. It wasn't in good shape as the plastic container was brittle and breaking apart. I wrote a note on the cache site indicating it needed to be replaced. We didn't haven anything with us to replace it with or we would have replaced it then.
    [​IMG]

Park your plane in the yard. Actually, there is a landing strip on an old section of railroad bed right across from where the plane sits. Interesting stuff you see sometimes. Or weird depending on your viewpoint.
    [​IMG]

And that's what we did on our Memorial Weekend Ride in May 2018. See ya next time.
    [​IMG]
  14. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy Friday everybody.

Finally getting to go camping and riding this weekend. It's been over a month since we've been riding...and it's summer time too boot!!!!

Anyway, had to round up the herd by chumming them into the corral with some TW feed.

[​IMG]

Sorry Purple Bee, we can only take 3 bikes with us this weekend (Wilbur, Scoob, and Squirrel) so you'll have to stay home. You can see Purple Bee frowning yet so hopeful. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a great weekend ya'll!
    Ride Now and Rhode trip like this.
  15. liv2day

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3

That's a great pic, way to lineup the feed "buckets" in front of the bikes. Hope you have a great weekend of camping and riding :thumb:thumb

The last update from your Memorial Day weekend camp & ride were fantastic. I want to go camp on Cottonwood Creek and spend several days exploring the area. Truly love that part of our state.

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and report, have another place in eastern Oregon I need to go to :nod:nod:nod
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  16. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    SW of La Grande, while not as historic, in mid June we rode the Winom-Frazier OHV Trails. It was a really good time. We stayed on the trail system but there's some pretty cool other roads which do take you to some historic mining area's around Granite and Sumpter. I've yet to post this as I'm still catching up.

I heard or saw someone mention this, "go somewhere new". So we are. More Eastern Oregon riding this weekend on Blue Mtn. OHV Trail. Up in the tree's again and if some of the old forest service roads ain't closed, we might try to find some of the lookouts and mines when not riding the trail. This area is generally west of Unity. Part of the OBCDR zigzags in the same area.
  17. AnimalDr

AnimalDr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting to see what other people think of our country. A lot of old mining relics and camp in Baker county.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should have worded my comment slightly different when talking about riding the Winom-Frazier Trails which are fun. I hope this comes across better to what I meant. There is lots of history and historic things to see in Baker, Malheur Counties and throughout the Blue's etc. We stayed mostly on the designated OHV trails at Wionom-Frazier OHV Trails which don't necessarily take you to any old historic places or not as many. Not directly off the trails anyway. Take an old logging road, now that's a different story.

Also we just got back from riding the Blue Mtn. OHV Trail which at the north end dumped us out on the road between Sumpter and Granite. It was late in the day and we needed to ride briskly on the "roads" to get back to camp at the Blue Mtn. Summit. We rode very quickly into Granite, Fremont Powerhouse, (which I believe some Advriders riding the OBCDR were staying at the house that night) and then south towards Austin Jct. We did stop real quick at one of the mine claim cabins near hwy 7. We missed a lot and need to come back.
  19. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    2018 NE Oregon camp & ride - Father's Day Weekend

When we arrived, the arrival party welcomed us to a roaring raging out of control fire which was nice. (grewen, Smoke Rudder (formerly Sidekick Chad, ejfranz, Wa Larry (aka Leisure Time Larry) and Mrs. Admiral. More arrived and departed over the next couple of days. Mountain Yawp & family, Appleguy, maxxoregon, Bladesmith, allanb & wife, WHS, Jeff.
    [​IMG]

1st day Wa Larry takes us under the Knife er I mean takes us on the trails. We rode ATV trails.
    [​IMG]

De group
    [​IMG]

Typical sign on a typical ATV trail.
    [​IMG]

Typical Break on the trail
    [​IMG]

Hard to take take a picture while riding so here is another one of a typical snack break
    [​IMG]

Being typical non-union riders, we took as many breaks and as often as we wanted. This was at lunch.
    [​IMG]

We had to have a board meeting. You can't go for a ride unless you have a board meeting complete with maps and laser pointers. We didn't have laser pointers or a powerpoint presentation so we decided to continue riding after lunch...and this board meeting.
    [​IMG]

Typical views again from the trail after the typical lunch
    [​IMG]

The typical group enjoying the typically beautiful views
    [​IMG]

After some more riding, we had another board meeting before we start our ascent to Tower Mtn. Lookout
    [​IMG]

Typical picture of Tower Mtn. Lookout cabin for the typical lookout worker
    [​IMG]

Tower Mtn. Lookout. This is the typical design of the metal lookout towers.
    [​IMG]

OOOO, cell service. Everyone checking their typical cellphone to see if anyone likes them and sent them a txt. ...or check the typical TW200Forum.com
    [​IMG]

After the lookout, we split up a bit when heading back to camp. Mrs. Admiral and I, as we typically do, found another trail on the way back to lengthen our typical riding day
    [​IMG]

I like not leading a ride for a change. Others can figure out how to get us lost instead of me.
    [​IMG]

Video 1

N E Oregon 2018 Winom Frazier OHV I

More to come
    LittlePosum, popscycle and Ride Now like this.
  20. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll continue Winom-Frazier in a couple days.

Her last roundup. She was getting very sick and I wished she would have lived forever. It was time. R.I.P. Georgie 9/4/18.
    [​IMG]

She was a loyal and fun shotgun rider over the years. She'll be missed.
    [​IMG]
    B10Dave, zoid, Ride Now and 2 others like this.