Admirals Voyages (w/photo's & Video's)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by TheAdmiral, May 5, 2012.

1. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Tough day. Sorry for you and your family's loss. :cry
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  2. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell-of-a trail dog. I remember some of your first trail videos I saw, several years ago, probably on the TW forum. Every once in a while you'd see this dog zip by your bike, out of nowhere. I'm thinking: if this is his dog, how can the dog keep up with a motorcycle? Only after inquiring did you reveal that the dog mostly rode shotgun and just jumped off when the going got rough enough to slow down.

So long old gal.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  3. ADK

ADK -------------------------

Oddometer:
    +1 :(
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  4. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Nothing better than a loyal dog.
    Sorry for your loss.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  5. zoid

zoid Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer:
    My heart goes out to you and Mrs Admiral. I always enjoyed her love of your adventures. Our canine companions are oftentimes the best friends we could ever have.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  6. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for you're heartfelt comments.

Georgie was a young stray about 1 y.o. found out in the field by my daughter when she was corn topping. She brought Georgie home (ex-wife's house). When it was my weekend to have custody of my kids, my daughter would bring Georgie with her to my house. When my kids got older and busy doing their own thing, I would go get Georgie from my ex's house for "weekend visitation". At the time I lived out of town during the week. Eventually, my ex moved to another state and didn't want to take Georgie with her so I "adopted" Georgie. The rest is history.

Last November, we "adopted" another dog from my wife's co-worker who unexpectedly passed away. His name is Roscoe. Even though Georgie was old and getting sick, she was still the "boss" and Roscoe new his place in the pecking order for owner attention. Roscoe is no riding dog like Georgie was but he is a good dog so we're still in good company.

Georgie and Roscoe on our vacation to South Dakota early this summer.
    [​IMG]
    LittlePosum, B10Dave and zoid like this.
  7. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sincere apologies for your loss @TheAdmiral. Haven't had a dog since I had to go through the same thing several years back, it's tough.

This shot is great - perfect way to remember her.

Take care :-)
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  8. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:

Typically fine ride report. Keep up the good work!

And I am very sorry to hear about Georgie.
    She was a real adventurer!
    Mrs Trip sends her condolences as well to you and Lori.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  9. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Georgie will be with you on many more rides, just be tuned-in to her presence.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  10. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your comments about Georgie liv2day, Rhode trip and Snapper33. Took a couple days but Roscoe our newest edition seems to have realized there is no Georgie anymore either and has been moping around. We hope we don't have to get a companion dog for Roscoe.
  11. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Live moves on.

Winom-Frazier Day 2 ish on.

On the way back to camp, a bear attacked Mrs. Admiral knocking her over causing her foot to get smashed under Wilbrr. She decided to take day 2 off from riding to help heal after the vicious bear attack, so I decided to go with the single track minded guys and ride single track.
    [​IMG]

Problem was, I had tire problems. My new rear tire was flat. I aired up the tire with the hope it would stay inflated for the days ride. I got about 1/2 mile down the trail and it was evident I wasn't gonna be able to continue as my tire was flat again. Putting in fresh air into the tire didn't fix the flat on it's own. I turned back and missed the rest of the day's single track. Jeff was also having problems with his carb and he didn't make the ride either.
    [​IMG]

I fixed the flat but it was too late to catch up to the main group so Jeff and I decided to go out for an afternoon cruise. Jeff still had some carb issues so I went by myself.

...and then this happened. I threw a chain. UH OH!
    [​IMG]

Thankfully, it didn't wreck anything and I was able to unwrap it from the front sprocket without removing anything.
    [​IMG]

Being by myself, I had to navigate.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, since I hadn't had to navigate the day before, I forgot everything I've learned about navigation and ended up at this spot. Signs of civilization. After "discovering" this ancient burial plot, I headed back to camp and called it a day before I could hurt myself.
    [​IMG]

Day 3 I think

Mrs. Admiral is still hurting but she wants to ride. We tried to ride with the group on the trails but with her foot still hurting from the bear attack (I'm kidding, there was no bear attack), we decided to break off from the group and ride the roads around the area.
    [​IMG]

So we're on our own, me navigating again.
    [​IMG]

Funny thing is, even though we're riding the roads and the main group is riding the trails, we ended up meeting them 3 times throughout the day. Here Mrs. Admiral and I decided to take a break. I didn't know a trail came through here till we got to this spot, which I was hoping would be a good nap spot too. This is where we met the group for the second time and we all ate lunch here.
    [​IMG]

If you're ever in the area, you'll know the exact spot we ate at if you see this on the tree. It's a wildlife tree. I suppose the tree's in a city are "non wildlife tree's".
    [​IMG]

We passed the group again as we headed back up to Tower Mtn. Lookout on our way back to camp. Nice views from the mountain road
    [​IMG]

We stopped back by the lookout. I'm not sure if Mrs. Admiral is checking her cellphone again or taking a nap. Surely it must be a nap right?
    [​IMG]

Used to have another structure at the lookout. I'm guessing a garage as lots of lookouts had garages and I didn't see one here.
    [​IMG]

We then went to this overlook not far from the lookout which we had missed on the first day
    [​IMG]

Looks like storm clouds are in the area
    [​IMG]

We'd better head back to camp so'ins we don't get damp-a-gated.
    [​IMG]

Appleguy brought a bunch of wood, so we burned it. We decided, I guess, that we should have a proper last night fire. We had fun around the campfire that night.
    [​IMG]

So this kind of wraps it up. A few mentioned making this a yearly ride and I'd agree as it's a great place to ride for riders of all abilities. Other groups led by WHS and Grewen went out riding to other neat places we didn't make it too.
    [​IMG]

Till next ride, have a good one.
    popscycle, YellerDog, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  12. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgie was a good dog.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Damn man, did you figure out what caused the chain to jump off the sprocket? Really glad it didn't do any damage to the case or cause the CS sprocket to implode - looks like she knotted hard behind the cover given how far away it is from the rear sprocket :eek7:eek7

I have wanted to check out Winom Frazier for a long time, we used to rip by on street bikes on FR52 (or is it FR53) out of Ukiah on our way to Granite & Sumpter and I always thought the campground looked great. Have had a couple friends take their dirt bikes out there and they've said it's fantastic, your pictures make me want to go now.

LOL to the comment about discovering the ancient burial plot.

Great job on writing up the adventure from this trek :thumb
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  14. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forgot about the burial plot :D.

I think I forgot to tighten the chain after fixing the tire. Thankfully, the chain didn't lock up in the front sprocket (though it looked bad) and there was no damage. Couple light taps with a hammer and screwdriver and the chain separated. Whew!

Winom-Frazier is pretty fun. I actually loved the ATV trails. Some of the guys rode some of the single track. They said the single track trails had some tough spots and a couple of them went off the trail down the slop (side-hill). Guess the moral of this story was don't go alone. We saw the Big Creek Meadow camping area was empty. Not real facilities but there was plenty of camping. This CG area is off Hwy52 (Blue Mountain Scenic Byway).

Speaking of Blue Mtn. Last weekend we rode the Blue Mtn. OHV Trail. It's just south ish of Winom-Frazier. The northern end of the trail ends at Blue Mtn. Spring Snowpark on the Hwy between Sumpter and Granite. This is a north-south trail with some spur trails mainly in the southern end. The trail crossed Hwy 7 between Sumpter and Austin Jct. at Hwy26. It also crosses Hwy 26 near Blue Mtn. Summit. There is a trail-head at Oregon CG on 26. The main trail ends near the S. Fork Burnt River with a few campgrounds here SW of Unity (Elk Creek CG, Stevens CG, S. Fork CG and Mammoth Springs CG. Some of these were closed due to a flood in June but the trail is clear. There were more of the trail system which loop south of the main trail.

I'll be posting this ride in the near future but I've posted all 3 days of our trip on Youtube.

You'll love riding both of these area's. Blue Mtn. OHV trail is rated easy except for a few spots. I found a map series for this trail and used it though the trail is very highly marked. The best marked trail I've ever ridden. Using the maps or gps was just to see where I was on the trail but not needed for actually turn-by-turn navigation.
    B10Dave and liv2day like this.
  15. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Going to figure out when I can get that far east again, this damn work thing really gets in the way of all the exploring I want to do...lol. I really can't complain though, going to be in Baja for ~3 weeks in November, riding 12 days and chillin' with my family for 10 days.

Looking forward to reading the report from the Blue Mountain ride - that sounds killer too :thumb:thumb
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  16. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    On this trip we shift up and then right.

2018 North Idaho & Black Hills

So we started our trip back east by driving up north to meet the girls for a couple days.

[​IMG]

Morning at Moose Creek Reservoir-North Idaho. No Moose in Moose Creek Reservoir. I looked.
    [​IMG]

Mornings are peaceful
    [​IMG]

Went "rutting around" early with one of the girls boyfriends on nearby trails with me on Scoob and Boyfriend X on Squirrel. (TW & XT)
    [​IMG]

Later that day out on the trail we came across another rider (not in our group) who tried to use their ATV as TV Movie Stunt vehicle. It didn't work out so good. Here we all watch Mrs. Admiral tip it back over onto it's wheels. It's hard work being the "camera man".
    [​IMG]

We then took a brief stop at a mine on Mica Mtn. just north of Deary, ID. That's Deary not Dreary.
    [​IMG]

Hoppers at the mine. The forest is reclaiming most of the rest of the mine area as the buildings have mostly fallen over with only cement foundations left and overgrown mine trails. Even the hoppers are almost enclosed by the trees.
    [​IMG]

End of the day back at camp. Georgie enjoying the lake views. Until we got our big camper we had to leave the dogs at home. Now we can take them with since we have the room. I think the dogs are happy about that.
    [​IMG]

Georgie, I'm glad she was well enough to travel. We saw her swim for the first time ever right near this dock a short time after this photo.
    [​IMG]

The dogs traveled really well and pretended to like each other
    [​IMG]

Of course we had to take this road to continue our trip when we headed east towards the Black Hills to meet my sister and brother-in-law to go riding. There is a prize if anyone can tell me where we found this sign. The sign is real. Hint: it's in a town in Wyoming.
    [​IMG]

Moose Creek Reservoir Video Part I

Part I. A morning ride on some trails around Moose Creek Reservoir outside of Deary & Bovill, ID in Northern Idaho. A little warm-up ride before the Mica Mtn. trail ride later in the day.

To be continue.
  17. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Nice! Those root steps you hit in the video remind me of what we typically encounter when riding Tillamook State Forest...they suck when it's wet...LOL.

The reservoir looks like a fantastic place to camp, was it pretty busy?

Looking forward to the next installment :thumb:thumb
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our girls live in Northern Idaho now so we've gone to the reservoir a couple times last year and once this year. It's busy to us because we like being by ourselves but in reality it was full but not that busy. Most people are fishing. There is a quad trail system in the area we like to ride and I saw 1 single track which is a mile or two long. Lots of logging roads to some historic logging places and towns.

The roots would be horrible if wet but I've been lucky the past two years to ride up when it was dry. Tillamook just reminds me of wet so I can picture wet roots and me laying on the ground crying for my mommy. :lol3
  19. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I posted Day 2 in Day 1. Oops. I didn't take that many pictures anyway since we had been here last year.

Here is a little Mica Mtn. Mine history. Kind of cool to think I might have ridden/walked across these guy's place once upon a time.

This is a picture of some Muscow mine workers on Mica Mountain near Deary, Idaho, before 1910. The mine was discovered by J.T. Woody of Moscow in 1881. It operated until 1919 and opened again in 1942, because of the demands for mica to be used as electrical insulation in the emerging electronics industry during World War II. Sometime after the war the mine closed again. The people in the picture are: first row (left to right) Ernest Schell or Art Craine, Joe Bower, John Bentz and John Simpson. Back row: unknown, George Bentz, unknown, Mr. Wells (?), and Fred Lunsford. Also, somewhere in the picture is Levi Shortridge. The name of the man in the front peeling the potatoes is unknown.
    [​IMG]

Note: The tipped over ATV was not part of our group but we did help right the ship. We had too, they were in our way. :lol3

Next up, the Black Hills of South Dakota.
    B10Dave and Ride Now like this.
  20. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Preview of our Black Hills South Dakota portion of our vacation. We used an intercom system for the first time between myself and Mrs. Admiral. You get to hear my side of the conversations. Also, some of my expert navigational skills. Someone said once, "you're not lost until you run out of gas"!

We got these motorcycle intercom thingy's a few years ago for a Christmas Present. To keep up with modern times, or so we think, we decided to use them for the first time. To keep the garbled communication down to a minimum, I knew it would be important to keep radio communications brief and concise. Additionally, if you are the ride leader and everyone is depending on you to provide an awe-inspiring ride and to gain/keep their confidence in your navigation abilities, it's import to make quick, accurate snap decisions. They'll thank you for not getting them too lost. :)

Full Black Hills ride report upcoming.
    B10Dave and Ride Now like this.