Admirals Voyages (w/photo's & Video's)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by TheAdmiral, May 5, 2012.

1. LadyFish4

LadyFish4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The first time I saw one of your videos with Georgie riding on the back, I was hooked and have been following along (lurking for the most part) ever since. That beautiful, special dog and your sense of humor have entertained and put a smile on my face many a time. I'm going to still enjoy reading your stories. But, that Georgie girl will sure be missed. I'm so sorry for your families loss as I know when they're gone, they leave a hole in our hearts; But, happy memories! Thanks for continuing to share your family and adventures with us!
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  2. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for the kind words. "Happy Memories". You are right on!
  3. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black Hills Trail Riding Day 1 - The Day Before the Rain

Dogs are weird. Here is Roscoe sleeping with his snout propped up in the corner of the camper underneath the dinning table. He kind of looks like I sent him to the corner for something he did bad. "Young man (dog) I told you to quit stealing the hot dogs". He is really sleeping though.
    [​IMG]

We were in Buffalo, Wyoming when we spotted this as we're heading out of town. How fitting.
    [​IMG]

We arrived a day earlier than we planned so we did what any good early arrival would do. We went riding.

First things first, we went over to the Forest Service and secured our Black Hills OHV stickers. The OHV was pink which was an acceptable color match for Mrs. Admiral TW
    [​IMG]

Generally, the trails area easy but we tend to find the technical spots. Not just your average logging road. This one still has a log just to remind you just in case you had any questions of it's past life. Lots of the old logging roads have be developed into a trail system.
    [​IMG]

These trails look so easy when looking at them on the map. So this was a logging road too. As you can imagine, it was a little bouncy and rough
    [​IMG]

Seemed like there was a lot more "rock road" than there were "logging" roads in the area.
    [​IMG]

I'd love to live here at this old ranch in the Black Hills of South Dakota. This was much prettier in person than the picture can convey I assure you. Very peaceful too as we were the only ones out here bombing around
    [​IMG]

Rode a little portion of the Centennial Trail NE of Nemo. There is a good sized section of the Centennial Trail near Nemo which is motorized. We hadn't ridden this little section on our last visit and there is still some we haven't ridden yet.
    [​IMG]

Nice non-wet trails today.
    [​IMG]

We're only about a mile from camp at this spot so it was just a short jaunt. Think we spent about 6-7 hours of riding today.
    [​IMG]

With such a pleasant sunset we're looking forward to a long hard day of riding tomorrow.
    Bigbob1, MadRider777, liv2day and 4 others like this.
  4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple photos Mrs. Admiral took of me crossing the log in the post above. Purple started a thread called "Bunny Hopping" and I think that's probably the technique one should use. However, I think I used the Admiral's "Going over a log plopping" method. Hey, it worked.

Preparing to mount err I mean plop
    [​IMG]

Plopping away
    [​IMG]

Plopping success
    [​IMG]

I think this was Mt. Rushmore ahead but I didn't see any of them old president faces on the rock when we rode by. I thought they charged an entrance fee as well but I didn't see no money taking shack.
    [​IMG]

We seen a deer too. I should say we saw lots of deer but you know how it goes with getting the camera's out fast enough to capture a deer.
    [​IMG]

This one was like a super model I guess and wanted her picture taken ala' nude.
    [​IMG]
  5. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 2. Rain delay

Pored rain all night and well into the day. I knew the trails would be muddy so didn't even try. I think I would have been by myself anyway.

Jenny Gulch picnic area on Pactola Reservoir
    [​IMG]

Pactola from the dam
    [​IMG]

After eating lunch in Hot Springs, SD, it cleared up so we continued our drive (in our pickup) to Deerfield Lake. Neat old cabin along the way
    [​IMG]

Saw this turtle crossing the road so we stopped to take pictures of him/her. Turtles can actually walk/run/scoot/crawl much quicker than I thought. I barely got a picture of him/her before he/she made it across the road back into the safety of the grass.
    [​IMG]
    MadRider777 likes this.
  6. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black Hills Trail Ride - The Day After the Rain

[​IMG]

It had rained quite a bit the day before and while I knew my sister and brother-in-law would be ok on the ATV I wasn't so sure for Mrs. Admiral and I on the TW's. A couple years ago we got caught out on the trail after a brief "light rain" the trail got muddy and it was like riding on ice.
    [​IMG]

So, before everyone was awake or if they were awake before they were ready to ride I did a quick recon of the trail close to camp on the XT200.
    [​IMG]

It was fun to hear my sister and brother-in-law laughing and having a great time on the ATV.
    [​IMG]

It had been a few years since I had seen them and this was a great place to meet up.
    [​IMG]

Oh, there's a couple mud puddles but we'll be ok.

Later that day...

Black Hills Trail Ride Rocky Top

Found some rocky trails. So much for taking it easy on the last day. Trails like this stay in the memory bank for quite a while.

I did mention it was the day after the rain didn't I
    [​IMG]

Mrs. Admiral and I cheat and go around the alligator-infested chocolate pool filled lake.
    [​IMG]

Well, best way to find out how deep it is was to send my sister and brother-in-law in for a "depth test"
    [​IMG]

I think they liked the "depth test"
    [​IMG]

I've never seen my sister and brother-in-law laugh so hard. I think they liked it!
    [​IMG]

...and then the trails attitude changed
    [​IMG]

As Joe Kenda would say, "my, my, my, what do we have here"?
    [​IMG]

I think the road paving crew was on strike and they got some less experienced pavers to finish the trail
    [​IMG]

It seemed like it was relentless and would go on forever
    [​IMG]

The end is within sight. Well, almost
    [​IMG]

It was pretty steep, even for the ATV crew.
    [​IMG]

Ah, finally the end of old Rocky Top
    [​IMG]

They don't ride much but I think we treated them to a Fred's Easy Ride Trail. Bwahahaha
    [​IMG]

The crew was happy to get back to camp today that's for sure.
    [​IMG]
    simbaboy, popscycle, Ride Now and 2 others like this.
  7. OldTriumphRider

OldTriumphRider Livin the Dream Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just now found this , great thread ! love pictures/
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  8. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm glad you found it. I think I've got enough pages of pictures and dumb humor to keep you entertain (hopefully not bored) when winter sets in. :lol3

I've seen some of the pictures you've posted once in a while but didn't connect the dots of a thread until you posted here. Now I see your linky so I'll now have something to view when I'm snowed in too! "Diary of rides w/Barb", gonna be good from the quick view!
    B10Dave and OldTriumphRider like this.
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    More good stuff Admiral. Keep it coming.
  10. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blue Mountain OHV Trail

We hadn't had a chance to go riding since our North Idaho/Black Hills trip back in July so we decided it was time to head out of town. With the upcoming Labor Day Weekend looming I was looking for some places to ride and accidentally ran across Blue Mtn. OHV trail in Eastern Oregon which is only a couple hours from our place.

The trail is about 50 miles long with some side trails.

Blue Mtn. OHV Trail - Day 1. We ride north on Blue Mtn. OHV trail from Blue Mountain Summit off U.S. Hwy 26 to Blue Springs Snowpark trailhead on the highway between Sumpter and Granite, OR. Being late in the day we take forest service roads and highways back to camp but sneak a short ride over to the historic Fremont Powerhouse and then a miners cabin on the way back.

With the idea of riding the trails and roads, I tried to find a place about 1/2 way on the trail. While not half way, I did find this nice place to camp at the Blue Mtn. Snowpark near Blue Mountain Summit off US Hwy 26 west of Unity, OR. In the photo is part of the old highway before it was realigned. There are many old sections not connected in this area I explored throughout the weekend.

[​IMG]

Here's another old section down the "old road" from camp.
    [​IMG]

Old winter "beefed up" winter fence posts off the old highway sections
    [​IMG]

Barley got Scoob, Wilbur and Squirrel unloaded and they tried running off into the woods. Luckily I was able to round'em back up.
    [​IMG]

Couple places on the trail have options. This trail is listed as "easy" with a couple sections of "most difficult" thrown in but which can be avoided. Here we take a right on the Black and Blue trail. With all the rocky sections I believe the trail name is appropriate.
    [​IMG]

A little technical but Mrs. Admiral was able to ride up.
    [​IMG]

Easy trail eh? It wasn't really that hard but we did get tossed about the the SS Minow at times
    [​IMG]

Navigation check. I kinda wonder how hard it is to get lost on a single trail. Actually, the trail was the most well marked trail I've ever seen. Only one time did we miss a turn because it wasn't marked but it was kind of easy to figure out where we needed to go after a quick check with the map.
    [​IMG]

Our "Linner" break. That's what it's called when you eat lunch in the the middle of the afternoon.
    [​IMG]

After about 35 miles of riding trails we came to the northern end of the trail. Not wanting to re-ride the trail bassackwards, and seeing how it was late in the day, we decided to ride the highways and forest service roads back to camp. Good thing cause as it was we got back just before nightfall.

However, we did a driveby (into) the old mining town of Granite, OR.
    [​IMG]

Few miles down the rode we took another quick sidetrip to the historic Fremont Powerhouse. We'll have to go back one day and go inside.
    [​IMG]

We're really needing to get back but we see this old mining cabin off the road. We're here, so we must see it right?
    [​IMG]

Mulling over possible needed renovation
    [​IMG]

Could use a little sprucing up don'tcha think?
    [​IMG]

Get rid of a couple wood rat nests and it'll look like new
    [​IMG]

...or maybe not
    [​IMG]

Next up, Day 2
  11. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The laughter as you rolled through the puddles is perfect, as was watching the quad go through the deep right hand track...lol.

Great pics and vid @TheAdmiral, looks like a fantastic trip and good on you guys for making it up and over that rocky stuff. Rocks like that and a decent climb and be seriously challenging, looks like you guys had a fantastic time and really cool to share the experience with family :thumb :thumb
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  12. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really need to haul our camper out there and spend some time exploring; that's one of my favorite parts of OR and I have only been through the area on street bikes. The ride from Ukiah to Granite and then Sumpter is one of my all time favorites; I know there's a whole ton of logging roads and trails to explore.

Great pics and video @TheAdmiral, really looking forward to reading/seeing Day 2
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  13. NSR400

NSR400 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a great part of the country to ride in... Looks like fun too!
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  15. NSR400

NSR400 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tell me about the tank saddle bags ? I zoomed in but can make out the name.
    [​IMG]
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  16. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    The brand is called Trailblazer Saddle Horn Pommel bags. Lots of colors. Wife gets them on Amazon but there is a large number of places which sell them online. We first started using them when we rode our mules/horses and then thought the bags might work on the motorcycles when we saw similar ATV tank bags. I believe there are different styles as well.
    upload_2018-10-9_11-26-57.jpeg
    NSR400 likes this.
  17. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Blue Mtn OHV South Day 2 Danger Zone

Day 2 we head south on Blue Mtn. Trail 1972. We took a couple of spur trails but there are many more spur trails, especially at the southern end of the main trail near Elk Creek Campgrounds. We rode through the 2016 Rail Fire burn area and even a washout section of road from 2018. We were gonna ride some forest service roads to Table Rock Lookout but was stopped by a major washout. There was a notice it washed out but we checked it out for ourselves. It was too late in the day to backtrack and take another route to the lookout so we just headed back to camp. We did see a sign near the origin of the Eldorado Ditch which is a 100+ mile long for irrigation ditch. It was started in the late 1800's and it's intent was water for use by miners near the boom towns of Eldorado and Malheur City. Eldorado is gone but you can still visit Malheur Cemetery and a few building remnants.

Before riding I take the dogs out for a walk. Roscoe is practicing for the lumberjack log rolling completion later this fall.
    [​IMG]

We rode through the old 2016 Rail Fire burn area. We took one of the spur trails to catch a geocache. We found the cache in the rock up above. The plastic cache and zip baggies containing the log were all brittle and fell apart. Probably a result from heat from the fire.
    [​IMG]

Once we came to the end of the main trail I wanted to ride up to a lookout. A sign said the road ahead was closed due to road damage from a washout. We rode up there to see if we could make it through on the TW's. Nope.
    [​IMG]

Ok, the logs ain't gonna keep me from trying but I go walk it to see. Yeah, we ain't gonna make it for sure.
    [​IMG]

They did dig up the road to let the water through. I'm guessing there was a culvert there but got blocked up by the debris.
    [​IMG]

Yep, a no go.
    [​IMG]

Looked like a pretty good washout with the debris slammed against the tree's.
    [​IMG]

Oofta
    [​IMG]

Mrs. Admiral did have one scary moment when she was getting attacked by this "Stick Snake". Good thing it isn't poisonous or have a mouth or fangs or breath...I know how she feels. I can't tell you how many times I've lifted my feet up while riding thinking I was riding over a snake and it turning out to only be a stick. Dang sticks!
    [​IMG]

It was late in the day so a re-route to the lookout was gonna take too long so we headed back. Lucky us we rode into another washed out section on a different forest service road. This one said "road damage" but didn't say anything about being closed. So we proceeded.
    [​IMG]

It started to get chilly so we stopped to put on jackets.
    [​IMG]

Near this spot is close to the origins of the Eldorado Ditch which provided water to miners about 100 miles away. Also near this spot was a junction and the other road was closed because of a washout. This section had new culvert's sitting there so I suppose it will be repaired before winter. (I couldn't read the information on the cross).
    [​IMG]

Up next Day 3
    popscycle, Ride Now and B10Dave like this.
  18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 3 - Blue Mtn OHV Bushwhacking

Today's mission is to ride to Pogue Point L.O. I expected it to be well traveled to the lookout. I was wrong. Turned out to be an old site but we found it easy though we had to bushwhack our way for a mile or so. Then we just poked around the area riding to Unity Reservoir, short sections of OHV trail and ended riding some of the old sections of US Hwy 26.

Bushwhacking 101

Well, the map shows a road
    [​IMG]

I was expecting a lookout tower at Pogue Point Lookout but all that remains is the towers cement footings.
    [​IMG]

1920s: 43' pole platform. 1934: 22' wooden L-4 tower. 1949: 41' treated timber L-4 tower. Emergency 1960s. Gone. 12 miles NNW of Unity, Grant/Baker County, Oregon, Elevation 5697'. (courtesy firelookouts.com)

[​IMG]

October 15, 1935: Panorama photos taken by Albert Arnst.

March 24, 1936: "Subject: One Car Garage & Wood Shed, 20' by 20' , Pogue Point; Alternative Schedule on side-wall finish. 750 B.M. 1 x 12 - 'C' rgh. Bev. siding, as shown on plan. Alternate: 7 squares 31 in. hand split red cedar shakes 5/8" butte, laid 10" exposure. 250 BM 1 x 4 No. 2 common - for nailing strips. NOTE: -- If shakes are used instead of 12" siding - 650 BM of 1" x 8" No. 2 shiplap will be required instead of 1550 BM of the same." (F - Survey - Whitman)

June 30, 1937:
    "Several miles of road were built on the Blue Mountain, experimental forest, including a spur road to Poque Point, where a lookout station will be built." (Baker Democrat-Herald)

June 30, 1948:
    "Your memorandum of June 23 concerning construction of your Pogue Point lookout house and tower is received.
    We are attaching the six sets of mimeographed specifications as requested.
    Engineering will forward the five-sheet group of blue prints for the 14 x 14 house and the seven-sheet group of blue prints covering the 41' CT-2 tower. They are temporarily 'out' of the lookout house prints and it will probably be a couple of days before prints can be mailed." (OM-Supply, Bids)

July 22, 1948:
    "A contract has been awarded by the forest service to Dick Hindman of Baker for the construction of a lookout tower and house at Pogue point, on the Blue Mountain side, Unity district about six miles south of Whitney.
    Work will be started next week. The tower will be 41 feet high and the lookout house 14 by 14 feet. Work will entail bringing the material up a steep rocky point as well as up the 41-foot tower." (The Record-Courier)

June 7, 1949:
    "45' pole lookout platform at Pogue Point replaced with new 41' CT-2 tower with 14' x 14' L.O. house. $287.92" "Tear down as is of no further value at Pogue Point" "Torn down - as authorized" (Report of surplus or unserviceable property)

June 26, 1952: "Mr. and Mrs. Zelador from Texas arrived last week to spend the summer. Mr. Zelador has employment with the forest service crew, and will be stationed at Pogues Point as fire lookout, sometime in July."(The Record-Courier)

September 6, 1962:
    "The lookouts in the Unity area are no longer manned by the summer personnel. Bob Fiore, who has been at Pogue Point, has returned to his home in Massachusetts. Replaced by Mr. and Mrs. John Hauk." (The Record-Courier

October 3, 1963:
    "Roy Howard is stationed at Pogue Point Lookout during the fire danger season." (The Record-Courier)

September 8, 1966:
    "Bill Clark has resigned and Terry Heath is taking his job at Pogue Point lookout." (The Record-Courier)

September 7, 1967:
    "Patti Trimble will be working at Pogue Point Lookout for a couple weeks." (The Record-Courier)

1986:
    During the winter the tower was demolished.

(Courtesy https://oregonlookouts.weebly.com/pogue-point.html)

Looking north ish. Just off to the right down the hill to the parking area I found the cement pad for the outhouse.
    [​IMG]

Looking south
    [​IMG]

NE towards Baker
    [​IMG]

From there we took some back roads to take a look at Unity Reservoir north of Unity, OR.
    [​IMG]

Road a few more logging roads, OHV trail and old sections Hwy 26 back to camp to load up and head home from a nice weekend ride.
    [​IMG]

Edit: I've posted earlier that our dog passed away but included it here as this was her last time out.

Unfortunately, this was the last camp trip for my riding pard Georgie. She lived a long good life and I'll spare you the details but she was pretty sick from kidney failure and old age. Her mind and spirit were great it's just her body was giving out. It was time and she'll be missed.

Georgie 9/3/18. She was the best dog I ever had.
    [​IMG]
  19. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I can't speak for others but I learned to love Georgie from this thread. It's sad she is gone but she had a good life with you. She always looked happy. I'm sure this has left a big hole in your family.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  20. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS

Oddometer:
    Admiral,
    You take your time and enjoy each trail.:clap
    Consider drone photography/videography. I think I have seen your buddies on the TW forum use them.
    I always enjoy your adventures.
    Simba
    TheAdmiral likes this.