Admirals Voyages (w/photo's & Video's)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by TheAdmiral, May 5, 2012.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally don't get misty eyed when I talk or write about her. Moist maybe but the drops have stopped. Roscoe is a good dog just not a rider. Scared of his own shadow sometimes so not so sure he'll take a lik'in to riding on something loud like a motorcycle.

Thanks for the thoughts.:-)
    LadyFish4 and Ladybug like this.
  2. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't gotten over the sticker shock of how 'spensive them drones are. Even if I could afford one I think it would take away from my own enjoyment of riding. I already interrupt myself enough on the trail taking breaks as it is. :D

That said, I too enjoy watching some of the aerial shots from a drone if in the right proportion because lets face it, aerial views are beautiful.
    simbaboy likes this.
  3. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    A Ride in the Woods Alone - Halloween is coming

It's Halloween month and I took a ride in the woods. I didn't see anyone until 2 dirt bike riders passed me about 2/3 of the way through the ride. I didn't see anyone before or after them. Riding to the pioneer cemetery and other grave site made me feel that much more alone. The whole ride I was looking over my shoulder. Eerie it was. Boo!

Decided to take a ride on Columbus Day. Columbus is dead right?
    [​IMG]

I was all alone
    [​IMG]

It didn't take long before I felt I was being watched
    [​IMG]

Most would take the high road. Not me. I'm taking the low road.
    [​IMG]

Is this a simple creek crossing or is it some evil werewolf trick?
    [​IMG]

Stumble across this old pioneer cemetery
    [​IMG]

Ruh Roh Raggy, I hope this shallow grave ain't fer me!
    [​IMG]

On the way home I took a break near this. I hope this isn't going to be an October trend finding all these grave looking places.
    [​IMG]

Can't wait for the next ghoulish ride in October.
    [​IMG]
  4. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:

Definitely need to get out there and ride, the trails in your vid look fantastic and just about perfect for the type of stuff my wife would be willing to do. Great job with the pics and video @TheAdmiral :thumb :thumb

LOL - that's damn funny. Same thing happens when there's anything remotely resembling a spider with my wife.

Great write-up, pics, and vid - fantastic weekend of riding :ricky :ricky
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  5. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Don't mean to butt in, but saw the post and figured I'd add this (and I'll happily delete if you'd prefer). I'm selling my Mavic to fund the purchase of the new Pro 2: Mavic Pro For Sale. Definitely some sticker shock even with the used drones, but they're seriously cool and give you a whole new perspective on your rides - even if you don't have it chase you whilst riding.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  6. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I whole heartily love the drone video you and other's provide for my viewing pleasure. Guess you provide it for others to view as well haha. I'll never say never but it's not something which is on my radar yet. I think I'm intimidated by technology and am just getting comfortable using a phone (with apps) to provide my trail adventure advice. I call it advice cause I don't always stick to the plan. :D And I don't consider this butting in at all.
    liv2day likes this.
  7. AZ Desert Dog

AZ Desert Dog To Ornery To Quit

Oddometer:
    So sorry to hear.
  8. jjr66

jjr66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    looks like your using Gaia Maps do you have any tips you can share?
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  9. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I use GaiaGPS as mine main GPS map but I also use Avenza Maps (free version).

I am iPhone clumsy so I do most of my uploading of tracks from other sources on the computer not the phone. If sync'd, the syncro between phone and computer is very good (both directions).

You can create a track/route on GaiaGPS but when I create my own tracks, I do it on the computer with another GPS track program (Ridewithgps). This could be because I was more familiar and comfortable with the other program.

I find it easy to upload tracks/routes (don't use routes much) into the program (on computer). I think I've uploaded kmz, kml, gpx and don't have to convert them first.

The best feature is you can create a map to use offline when not in cell service but there are steps. You can create this offline map either with a shown track or just an area of a map. You have to choose a map (Gaia map, FS Topo Map, Nat-Geo map etc. or satellite view). I try to use a FS Topo map which lists the FS road numbers.

You have to create the map on your phone not the computer and it has to have cell service to create the map but once created can be used offline. I usually only use my phone to create a waypoint, such as a road junction, that I didn't mark when I made the track on the computer.

I think as with any GPS, somehow wire it to motorcycle electrical power or you phone battery will die fairly quickly. I have a power outlet with a double USB plugin so I can run two devices if I need to. Usually only one though.

There are several "how-to" video's on the GaiaGPS site to help you.

I try to carry some kind of paper map so I can get a large overview of an area. On a phone it's to hard to see detail when zoomed out.

Avenza vs. GaiaGPS note. I also use the free version with access to free maps on my phone to navigate as well. "Avenza map store" is a little hard for me to find a map I'm looking. Normally, I'm looking for a pre-made maps of a recreation or OHV area for example. Once downloaded onto the phone you can use that to navigate an area if the map is good enough. For example, I used the Winom-Frazier (Oregon) OHV Recreation map on Avenza and it did great. I also used a recreation map for San Rafael Swell (UT) and it too worked great. I use tracks for Moab and use GaiaGPS for this area as it's so large.

Idaho Parks and Recreation online trail map. This is something I'm working on so I can download ATV, Singletrack, Jeep rds. etc. into GaiaGPS. You can download these trails from the online Park & Rec site onto your computer. I then transferred them into Google Earth one file at a time (i.e. ATV, ATV Seasonal etc.) The reason I did this in GE is I can then click on a trail on the map in GE and it will highlight the trail # in the index on the left. You have to expand each kmz (ATV, Motorcycle, Jeep) to actually see the highlighted map.

The reason I'm working on this as it's the only way I know to find a Idaho trail which can be uploaded into GaiaGPS. I tried uploading the entire ATV trails for example and got an error because there were more than xxx amount of tracks or files. GaiaGPS apparently can only upload a certain amount of tracks in one gulp! :lol3

If you have other questions don't hesitate to ask in this thread or by PM.
  10. jjr66

jjr66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank You Sir, for all the info. I too use Gaia but unable to find FS topo maps. Could it be because I didn't purchase the premium version? I am able to build routes or tracks with the four maps included in my version which seem to work very well. I see having the FS topo would be really nice since I spend most of my time riding them.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  11. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    After my previous post I went back in and I can see I can make a "route". On the computer I only had the option of creating a waypoint or route but not a track (if it's a difference in Gaia). In future I'm gonna try to make the route/track in Gaia instead of another program. I've also started to navigate by waypoints versus following a track or route which gives me a little better feeling of "winging it" to the next waypoint and not concentrating so much on "having to follow a track".

With GaiaGPS, I started out with the free version a few years back and then I upgraded to the $20 dollar a year member version which I think has given me more types of maps to choose from. I toyed with the idea to upgrade to the premium level but I don't know if extra $20 ($40 yearly) would really be worth it. If you can and like to build tracks/routes on FS Topo, I think you would enjoy the paid version(s). You definately have more maps to choose from with the $40 a year version but I'm ok with the Topo versions available at the $20 year rate. I think I can get just as lost for $20 and I can for $40 :lol3

I was also thinking of upgrading to a annual paid version of Avenza which will allow you to build a map and import it. Don't know how much work this would be since I haven't tried it. Maybe this spring. I believe the price for Avenza Pro Plus is about $30. I'm not a Pro Pro so I don't need the $129 yearly version.

You can download FS Topo's into Avenza from the Avenza Store and use it to navigate but 1) It won't show any tracks, just the map (in the free version) and 2) You might have to download multiple map "sheets" to navigate a large area. Problem with the free version is I think you're only allowed to "download" (use) 3 maps (or sheets). You can see the problem here.

For the Blue Mtn OHV trails, I downloaded 9 OHV maps. I used the zoomed out couldn't see detail "overview" map to navigate which showed the route track. This was ok since I could tell if I was still on the route. Didn't really need a map on the OHV trail as it's the best signed/marked trail I've ever seen, so there was actually no need for a map to navigate. Yes to see where you were. I had 2 other "section Maps (there were 9 maps overall) which were "active" and I could use to navigate. The section maps, either active or inactive, were close ups of an area of trail and you could see more details which didn't show in the overview map. Have a paid subscription would have prevented all of this and I could have used all the maps to navigate.
  12. jjr66

jjr66 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yeah I also have paid for the $20 version of Gaia. What a great deal! And I just found the FS topo for it.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  13. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me go look. I think you have to go to another tab/place and mark/import the maps you want, the one's we can use at our subscription rate, into the layers. Maybe take some screen shots for you if my bad wording doesn't help.
  14. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was able to get a new Topo map from both my phone and computer:

Computer Main Page:

Click on Layers
    Scroll and click on "Add Map Sources"
    Should show "Map Categories"
    Scroll to map source "North America" in this example. (You should see other sources like Topo Maps, Satellite Imagery, Historical Maps etc)
    Click on "North America".
    Click on + button to select map.

If you go back to main page and click on Layers, you should now see the map you added.

(Note: The map selected should automatically sync with your phone but to check, if you also click on the down arrow drop down menu next to your login (upper right on my computer) and click on Map Sources, it should show you the map you just selected. Make sure the Sync is on so you can use/see this map with your phone and computer...or not. This screen may not show all the maps you actually have access too but only the one's you selected to you while on the computer. Not a big deal unless you want to make a map public or change the sync status).

Phone:

Click on the stacked sheets looking icon. Should take you to Map Sources page.
    Click Edit. You should now see the map source categories.
    Click on North America.

You should now be able to click the (+ or x) to add or remove a map.

Then go back to your Map Sources and you should see the map you just added. Click on the map to make it your default.

That's it as far as I can see. If you don't see all the same maps as I do, maybe I'm grandfathered into something even though we pay the same.

I use different maps based on where I'm riding. I try to use the "USFC Classic (CalTopo) because it shows the FS road numbers...more. Other maps may show this also but not always.

Hope this helps

P.S. I just saw a place on the computer to "Import a map" but I haven't used this feature or even if I can at our sub rate.
  15. jjr66

jjr66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup by golly I think I got! Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  16. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gee-dang-it iPhone auto-correct feature. I tried to take a picture of the trail and the dag-nabbit iPhone auto-corrected to a picture of the trail on the map I was riding. Darn kassen frassen dag nabbity auto-correct.

[​IMG]

There will be more of this ride when I get done reviewing photo's and video's clips.
    ...auto-correct, ugh!:lol3
  17. liv2day

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3

Looks like a sweet trail @TheAdmiral! Appears to follow a nice elevation line with plenty of turns...perfect :ricky :thumb
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Left Fork Danskin Creek Trail 443 and 442

What was gonna be 3 riders turned into another lone wolf ride.

Mechanical problems with rider who was gonna join us and Mrs. Admiral not feeling well left me to fend for myself. I shall overcome.
    [​IMG]

Trail 443 is an old logging road turned into an ATV trail with a steep entrance/exit right off an old logging landing.
    [​IMG]

I looked at the State Trail map and I should be able to make a loop out of this ride by heading north or south when I connect into trail 442. That is the plan!!!!
    [​IMG]

The trail doesn't look overly used but it has been cleared in the past. I don't see any fresh tracks on the trail other than critter tracks.
    [​IMG]

There were dozens of extremely high water bars. I felt like I was competing in a TW steeplechase. Thankfully, I don't have to jump that tree just beyond the water bar. But I could if I had too...not!
    [​IMG]

Doezilla. Came around a corner and though it was just for a split second, I saw this huge animal jump across the trail and head up the hill. I did get close to it and in was a great big Mule Deer Doe.
    [​IMG]

Took a little adventure break at the junction of trails 443 and 442.
    [​IMG]

I decide to head north on trail 442. Unfortunately, about a 1/2 mile later the trail was washed out by the creek. I could've made it through but I didn't see any recent ATV tracks or repair of the washout so I hesitated to go further alone not knowing what the trail was gonna be like later. On the way back to the junction I saw a pretty bird nest.
    [​IMG]

So I took off heading south on 442 when after a mile or two I ran into the washout from hell. What is suppose to be an ATV trail looks more like a very steep single track. I'm guessing only deer and elk use it now.
    [​IMG]

At one time the logging road crossed this ravine and you can see the roadbed on the other side. Again, maybe with another rider and a winch, I might try it.
    [​IMG]

Sad thing was, I was less than a mile from the highway. It's right down there!!!
    [​IMG]

So, with no way out I headed back the way I came. Not that the view and riding wasn't good.
    [​IMG]

But as I was riding I saw a sign on the hillside. Kind of out of place so I stopped here and went for a hike.
    [​IMG]

Let me tell you. My thought was, "I hiked all the way up here for this". Great views but a let down as far as the sign goes and what it meant.
    [​IMG]

It's fairly obvious this old forest service enclosure and sign haven't seen any attention for a long, long time.
    [​IMG]

Riding around another ravine I saw this plaque on a rock. I didn't see it when I was going the other direction.
    [​IMG]

(This Photo is from the www and not mine). When I got back home I did a little research. Turns out this was a memorial plaque for four Wild-land Firefighters who lost their lives while fighting the 1986 West Anderson Creek Fire not far from here. 19 Firefighters were being transported on a National Guard 5 Ton Dump Truck headed back to camp when the road narrowed and the truck overturned killing four of the nineteen on board. Tough deal to see.
    [​IMG]

Here's an old logging road number sign on this trail from back in the day. FS 649. It's now known as Trail 443 and parts of 442 on the Idaho Trail map website. On Topo Map's it's still listed as 649 and the lower part from the highway 613. Other than this sign, I didn't see any other markers so you're on your own. :lol3
    [​IMG]

After I got back up to the end of the trail at the landing, I headed back home...the long way home of course.
    [​IMG]

About 1/2 of this was the ATV Trail (Purple track) just east of the hiking trail 029.
    [​IMG]

With the washouts, now I know why I didn't see many ATV or motorcycle tracks. Still, good times.
    Ride Now and B10Dave like this.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Those are some fantastic pics @TheAdmiral! I’m a huge fan of that scenery, love the high desert. Good call on not attempting that wash solo, bad $hit can happen.

Solemn and neat to find that plaque, don’t imagine many folks have come across it.

Keep the updates coming, thanks for taking the time to post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  20. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure not many see the Memorial Plaque. Heck, I didn't know about it until I saw it. Add the fact the "ATV Trail" is almost totally impassible, the only way to see it is an out and back like I had to do.

Little update, my wife and I along with Roscoe hiked up this trail from the other direction last weekend. Didn't see this advertised on the other end I rode a couple weeks ago. You can see there is a go around on the right side of the gate. It's legal so far as this is a designated ATV Trail. Problem is the huge washout makes really anything but a good motorcycle rider and/or hiker able to make it through. I doubt an ATV has been on through the washout area in years.
    [​IMG]

Hard to convey the steepness in a photo or video but it's steep on both sides. From this view, I rode to the top of the other side just above the trail. I'm tempted but not by myself. Someday maybe.
    [​IMG]
    liv2day, B10Dave and Ride Now like this.