Admirals Voyages (w/photo's & Video's)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by TheAdmiral, May 5, 2012.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding season is just about over but the weather is allowing me for one last good ride of the year, Admiral's 2018 Annual Veterans Day ride. Usually, I can get one of my 3 son's out but this year is a bonus year...I got 2 out of 3. We'll be riding this tail which #1 son hasn't ridden before.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully, what little snow we got is gone and the trail looks this good. These pictures of the trail are from Columbus Day ride a few years ago.
    [​IMG]

The "Bridge to Somewhere". Me and #2 on the Columbus Day ride.
    [​IMG]

We're not gonna repeat the Columbus Day "accidental overnighter" ride though and will turn around somewhere down the trail and ride past here on the way back.

One of the fateful events which made our 3 hour tour into a 24 hour tour. It was just a minor crash off the trail into the creek. :lol3
    [​IMG]

I'd probably have all 3 boys on the ride but #3 is...lets say, not available as he's over in the 'stan.
    [​IMG]

His current ride has a bit more horsepower than my TW.:D
    [​IMG]

Excited to ride to ride!
    simbaboy, zoid, RedRockRider and 6 others like this.
  2. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    A nice guy would pack a shovel and... and fix that washout!
    Good on your Son, tell him we appreciate his service!
    Both my brother in laws and my nephew were Dust Off pilots. I got paid to ride in a truck or track, better than those poor 11B’s.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  3. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shovel to fix that washout. bwahaha that's funny!:lol3 I do carry a folding shovel but I think I would have been there shoveling for the next hunert years. My guess with the sign on the gate, the Forest Service has no intention of repairing this trail.

Since son #3 is still over yonder he doesn't or is probably not allowed to share much detail. He's hinted a couple times and I dare say he and the rest of his unit is earning their hazardous duty pay. I did a little crew-chiefing in a Huey but we were just flying taxi's. That's not to say an auto-rotation is nerve racking. Float like a feather, hit like a rock. :D
  4. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s awesome @TheAdmiral! So neat to be able to ride with your boys, that’s one of my hopes as my boys grow up.

I hope you have a fantastic time, looking forward to seeing the updates. Currently in Baja... this place is amazing, you’d seriously like riding here!

Ride safe amigo :ricky
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  5. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bet Baja is a lot warmer too. I still love desert riding. Have a good time.
  6. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    So I remember you saying that you were moving a while back. Frosty Hollow from Sand Hollow? Where is that?
  7. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garden Valley/Crouch area.
  8. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Veterans Day Ride

Thrill's, Spill's and Close Calls - Solo ride on some trails north of Admiral Headquarters. I skipped on some trails I would have like to ride but settled on riding a bit of Peace Creek, Silver Creek trails and completed a kind of fun logging turned ATV trail. Hitting the man Forest Service roads were cold. I came within inches of colliding with a deer on the way home. And I mean inches as it was close enough for me to hear the deer whisper sweet nothing's. Bonus, I got to see 50-100 Elk laying out on the golf course. Beautiful animal's.

A water leak in the yard and an employee who quit at the last minute left me to ride by myself.

As such, I decided to not take any chances...or did I? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One Spoon Way Trail. I was gonna ride this trail but after just a few yards up the trail I didn't feel comfortable. Hate to wuss out on a trail but I just didn't "feel it". So I turned around.
    [​IMG]

I hate to "unbundle" to pee when it's cold out. With one of my planned trails 69'd, I didn't have a clue where I wanted to go so I just went. Found this dead end trail with puddle ice. Did I mention it was cold despite the sun in attendance.
    [​IMG]

Up for a quick dip in Silver Creek? Could be chilly water from the looks of it.
    [​IMG]

I took a "rain check" sort of. Peace Creek revisited. I've been wanting to ride Peace Creek Trail for several years. The last time I attempted in with a couple of the boys it rained. I'm not gonna ride the whole thing but I did poke around on it for a while.
    [​IMG]

Well, well, well, what do we have here? The roots of all evil me thinks. Doesn't look that "Peaceful" to me!
    [​IMG]

Got stopped by a log across the trail so I turned around and headed back to the main road.
    [​IMG]

What could go wrong? Silver Creek Summit Trail. Not my intention to ride this but hey, I was in the neighborhood.
    [​IMG]

Little dicey maybe? Couple day old tracks tell me I'm not the only one who doesn't think anything can go wrong.
    [​IMG]

The summit. There for a second I thought it was a toll booth. Whew.
    [​IMG]

This wasn't my plan but then I remembered...I didn't have one. Silver Creek Summit 6,700 and some odd feet above the sea.
    [​IMG]

A little sketchy going "downhill" in the snow it is.
    [​IMG]

Yup, what could go wrong? Hand guards caught my shin & knee guard and trapped me under Scoob for a while but I managed to escape.
    [​IMG]

It's ok to hate mud, I do! The mud did it not the snow. Well, the snow did play into the equation a little bit I guess.
    [​IMG]

I near collided with a deer on the way home. We missed by inches. I think I heard the doe say she'll get me next time. Best to be careful.

Elk everywhere. I don't think the owners of the pasture pool course are enthused about the heard but what ya gonna do. Must be between 50-100 Elk out there. I didn't count them so my estimate might be a few head off. Still awesome sight.
    [​IMG]
    TwilightZone, liv2day, zoid and 7 others like this.
  9. 3horsepack

3horsepack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey there Admiral. How's that TW650 running? Just passing by and thought I would drop a line. Hope all is well.
  10. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi J.W. I actually have a XTW600...ish. Two TW200's + XT200 = XTW600...fleet! :lol3

As you can see from the pictures above I shouldn't get anything bigger than what I already got. I get hurt enough as it is. :D

Hope all is well.
    marbee40 likes this.
  11. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now I know Why it's called Frosty Hollow
    It's been a long time since I've got a ride in and in the snow. This morning I took care of both.

[​IMG]

Now I understand why this is called Frosty Hollow. Ain't cause of it's Hawaiian like feel that's for sure.

[​IMG]

Time to break out the tire chains. I got by this time but could have zipped around a lot quicker with the "feel goods".

simbaboy, popscycle, B10Dave and 3 others like this.
  12. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Brrrrrrrrrrr.

Nice that you got out for a ride even though it was a snowy one.
    Ride Now and TheAdmiral like this.
  13. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    We got 6+ more inches of the white stuff the next day on top of this. I was tempted to go for a ride but got lazy. I'm saving up some energy for when I retire at the end of the month!
    N-Id-Jim likes this.
  14. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOL, - smart move! I've found retirement taking a lot more energy than regular work, especially as I get older.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  15. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Killer shot @TheAdmiral! Seriously dig the deep blue sky, white stuff on the ground, that big arse rock, and your bike in the foreground. Great capture man.

And congrats on the impending retirement! After spending 3 weeks in Baja, coming back to work sucked...want retirement to be a bit closer than it is for me...lol.

Good rides, and good on you for getting out in the cold, white stuff :thumb :thumb
    dammitdave and TheAdmiral like this.
  16. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Nice update!
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  17. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I told myself I wasn't going to have a short-timers attitude when getting close to the last day. That was the theory. Not happening. :lol3

If you do/did a Baja RR let me know the link.
  18. ADK

ADK -------------------------

Oddometer:
    Ride Now likes this.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Just saw your request @TheAdmiral. I posted a bit here and there while I was down there, but have started the full report now. Only on day 2, but hope to have time to compile the rest of the days as time allows.

2 Weeks & 10 Days In Baja
    Ride Now and TheAdmiral like this.
  20. popscycle

popscycle Fahren Away Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas, Admiral and Mrs. Admiral, and thanks for the pics this year.
    TheAdmiral and Ride Now like this.