Admirals Voyages (w/photo's & Video's)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by TheAdmiral, May 5, 2012.

1. AZ Desert Dog

AZ Desert Dog To Ornery To Quit

Oddometer:
    What is this thing you call "winter".
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  2. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think of it as a whitely colored sandstorm, but colder. :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They did send in the bulldozer to clear out the road/driveway.
    [​IMG]
    zoid, popscycle, Ride Now and 2 others like this.
  3. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Made my way out of the hills yesterday and since it was so nice in the valley I decided to "dust" the Bee.
    [​IMG]

It's been since November the last time I've been on a TW.
    [​IMG]

So I hit the...
    [​IMG]

It certainly was nice to not see snow for a change. Time to start getting things sorted for Moab! Yippee!
    [​IMG]
  4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winter Doldrums X -Tusher Wash Determination Towers/Moab

A change of pace from the normal Slickrock & more technical areas as we ride up through Tusher Wash, into the dead-end Tusher Canyon and back out. We then head east towards Determination Towers terminating this video at the junction with the M&M and 7 Mile Rim Trails.

simbaboy, B10Dave and Ride Now like this.
  5. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the record, I hate groundhogs! :lol3

Speaking of spring, the 6 weeks have passed since groundhog day and I don't have spring yet. They say the temperatures are higher but I can't quite feel it.

Scoob and Wilbur poked their heads out of hibernation
    [​IMG]

Scoob's heart rate was still a little low so I had to use the new micro jump starter to get him to life.
    [​IMG]

Let them idle for a bit go get their blood flowing
    [​IMG]

...and back into hibernation they go
    [​IMG]

Even Roscoe was surprised Scoob and Wilbur went back into hibernation.
    [​IMG]

Youngest grandson is enjoying the snow.
    [​IMG]

Snow arches in Admiral Glacier National Park.
    [​IMG]
    simbaboy, B10Dave, popscycle and 2 others like this.
  6. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winter Doldrums XI - M&M Cutoff Mill Canyon to Courthouse Rock

Riding the trail from Determination Towers down Mill Canyon then over to Courthouse Rock with Stig.

B10Dave, popscycle and Ride Now like this.
  7. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winter Doldrums XII - Mashed Potatoes Moab
    Riding the Mashed Potatoes Trail in Moab near Hidden Canyon/Hidden Canyon Rim trail.

B10Dave, Ride Now and popscycle like this.
  8. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winter Doldrums XIII - Gold Bar Rim - Moab

First trail of the day. We later drive Golden Spike and Poison Spider. We rode in a southerly direction from Gemini Bridges Road to Poison Spider. 2 riders split off for a while and rode Rusty Nail Trail. They connected back with us just before transitioning to the Golden Spike Trail.

popscycle, Ride Now and B10Dave like this.
  9. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love the snow Arches.
    Will see real arches and land bridges very soon---one month out.
    Simba
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  10. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too bad we are just barely missing each other down at Moab...again!
    simbaboy likes this.
  11. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spring Break for a Day

The first day of spring so it's time to head out the door. Had to avoid falling in the ice & snow, vicious mountain lion attacks, a bunch of mad cows, ...and one weird guy who looked suspicious. Took the XT and TW out. I also got a new camera and love it. I'll love it more when I get the external mic.

Changed oil, adjusted carb float level, replaced spark plug, replaced air cleaner, replaced 15T w/14T front sprocket, kicked like a million times to get it started after a long winter. My foot is sore!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey! I've been up here all winter. Honest. Quit spreading rumors. :dllama:
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  13. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winter Doldrums XIV - Golden Spike - Moab

We ride the middle section (Golden Spike) and cross the famous Golden Crack. We had a couple of difficult sections to negotiate but we made it and continued on till we merged with Poison Spider Trail later in the day.

B10Dave, popscycle and Ride Now like this.
  14. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Continuing my post-winter exercise program on the TW's uncle the XT :D

[​IMG]
    popscycle, liv2day and Ride Now like this.
  15. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great job on the vid @TheAdmiral, was fun to watch and I liked the various music and various things you threw in with the cows (more cowbell...lol), etc. Was that really a cougar that ran behind you in the opening scenes? Damn - thing's pretty close to houses and such. And you still have a boatload of snow, woof. How far did you have to ride to get to those rolling hills you ripped through? And WTH was that dude in the white 4-Runner doing...lol?

Good to see you getting out :thumb
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  16. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha, the "mountain lion" was just a house cat. I didn't even see it when I rode by. Only noticed it when I reviewed the video. I can ride some of the main roads but the "summer logging roads" and trails are still snowed in where I live. The rolling hills is where I used to live. The parents-in-law still live nearby so I still ride there once in a while when I make it to the valley.

The dude with the white SUV was acting so weirdly, wasn't he? Didn't look like he was dumping trash but I wonder if I caught him in the act of taking a piss or something. Even though I waved he avoided eye contact. Weird for sure!

While I'm gonna try and make less but better videos this year, I had to add the music (more cow bell) because of wind noise with the camera. I have fixed that with an external mic. Future videos from the two I've recently posted won't have the horrible wind noise...just my breathing...which is just as bad of wind noise so gotta fix that too! :lol3
    B10Dave likes this.
  17. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winter Doldrums XV - Poison Spider Loop Section

Four of the six who started decided to ride the Poison Spider loop section and one overlook. The other two riders decided to bypass this section and headed down to the Poison Spider TH. After going crawling speed on Gold Bar Rim and most of Golden Spike trails, it was nice to pick up the pace.

...but wait, there's more...

Winter Doldrums XVI - Poison Spider - Loop to Trailhead

Come on spring, hurry up! Since my wish didn't come true 30 seconds after I typed the previous sentence (wish, hope, dream...) I'll go ahead and post my last Winter Doldrum video.
    Last section riding of the day. After riding the Poison Spider Loop section, we then headed down the main trail to the Poison Spider Trailhead where we ended our trail ride for the day and headed back to camp.

popscycle and Ride Now like this.
  18. Oldad

Oldad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying your Moab excursion. I can only imagine how much better the riding is when it is not blistering hot out there. Buds and I did Moab a few years ago and boy was it hot.

I noticed, too, that you encountered very few other riders and 4x4's. Is that the case or were they edited out?

Thanks again for all the work you do to bring these experiences to the rest of us.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  19. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heck, I think riding when it's in the '70s in Moab is hot. I can't imagine what it's like when it's really hot. Can't be fun, yikes!

I don't edit out other riders on purpose though I suppose it can happen. For several years we've gone to Moab the week just before the Easter Jeep Safari. Much cooler in March. This year we're riding late April - 1st week of May. This is usually warm but not hot...not consistently hot that is.

The trails are surprisingly not very crowded at all but in town is a zoo. I've been told this is Spring Break time for the greater Salt Lake City area. Oh, our free BLM camp area (now might be state land) is always pretty busy as well. Lots of bicycle riders camping here.

Trail crowds depend on the area. Slick Rock area's in Sand Flats is fairly busy but spread out. Lots of bicycle riders. There can be a lot of people on Poison Spider but we only ran into a few but it was later in the day. The National Parks are a bit crowded as well but we avoid the parks for the most part. White Rim Trail was more busy with bicycle groups than Poison Spider or any trail I've been on except for the Single Track Slick Rock area in Sand Flats.
  20. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Short ride exploring an old dead-end ranching trail on the ridge at the confluence of North and South Forks of the Payette River.

popscycle and Ride Now like this.