Admirals Voyages (w/photo's & Video's)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by TheAdmiral, May 5, 2012.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Casto Canyon on TW200's
    While this trail ties into another trail system, this part of the trail is way too short. I could ride all day on a trail like this.

Note: I originally misspelled Casto Canyon as Castro Canyon. A viewer noticed my mistake so I've corrected it except in the title in the video.
    Ladybug, N-Id-Jim, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  2. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful
    :beer
    TheAdmiral and black 8 like this.
  3. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    ^^^ what he said...
    TheAdmiral and Wierdrider like this.
  4. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Longer video than I wanted but I hope it's entertaining enough to keep you watching! :)

The Admiral's Dual Sport Spring 2021 Adventures
    This is some video from our spring 2021 rides in parts of E. Oregon and Idaho.

Warning, the video contains some adult language.
    B10Dave, TrialRun, Ride Now and 4 others like this.
  5. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loon Lake Singletrack on TW200's
    Spliced together two different days riding the trails to Loon Lake. On the first day, we hiked to the southern end of the lake to see the crashed B-23 airplane. Apparently, we took the harder way to the crash site as we had to climb up and under downed trees and through the marshy wet trail to reach it. Unknowingly, we had decided to camp and ride at the same time as the Idaho Trail Machine Association State Ride so we met several other riders on the trail.

We rode a bunch of other places on the 4-day trip as well.

Carey Dome Lookout. (we also went to War Eagle LO-no pics)
    100_0030.JPG

100_0031.JPG
    California Lake
    100_0026.JPG
    Day 2 Loon Lake with less forest fire smoke. First day was pretty smokey/hazy
    IMG_4223.JPG
    WWII B-23 crash site at the other end of Loon Lake
    IMG_4213.JPG
    Lake at Kimberly Mine
    IMG_4189.JPG
    Buildings at Kimberly Mine
    IMG_4193.JPG
    Boat ramp at the end of Salmon River rd. after we rode/slid our way down Carey Creek ATV trail.
    100_0034.JPG
    The green bus on the IDBDR as it is today
    100_0041.JPG
    What the green bus looked like 10-15 years ago before the IDBDR made it famous
    BusinWoods.jpg
    black 8, mkitchen, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  6. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Silver City TW200 Adventurous Ride
    We had a very adventurous day riding around and through Silver City, Idaho. We did not necessarily take the easy way. Plenty of action for our riders that's for sure. Enjoy! :)

I rode my "skinny tire" TW. It handled everything I could handle with the Motoz Mtn Hybrid tire for traction.
    Snapshot_3.png

Some locals were very interested in our "mechanical horsepower". That or we smell!
    Snapshot_1.png

The other fella's I rode with. Oldworld124, Mistervelocity, and Mistervelocity Dad.
    23.png

Guys I was riding with believe this is the remains of a '38 Buick. The miners had converted it to a hoist winch for the nearby mineshaft.
    17.png

...and we stopped for some yummy pie & ice cream at the hotel in Silver City. The good thing about being there during the week, it's gotten so crowded on weekends they made it one-way traffic through town.
    IMG_4240.jpg

Great day of riding
    Snapshot_4.png
    mkitchen, N-Id-Jim, popscycle and 4 others like this.
  7. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Idaho City Trails-It's all downhill from here!
    It was my first time riding the trails around Idaho City. We ended up riding with a couple of brothers from Michigan who were wandering around the west. They were really nice guys and we had a good ride.
    Ride Now, popscycle and B10Dave like this.
  8. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Admiral's Big Fall Trip
    Our first planned stop was to spend 3 days riding in the Big Horn Mtns. of Wyoming between Greybull and Sheridan. It was very pretty.

[​IMG]

A perfect place for Wilbur and Blue Bunny

[​IMG]

Where ever we go, we seem to find that difficult & deep water crossing.
    [​IMG]

We were in our TWhauler but one can find some rustic accommodations here and there.

[​IMG]

Remains of a "splash dam" used to block the water to help transport cut timber downstream.

[​IMG]

Then the weather started to turn for the worse...but we pushed it and visited a nice-looking reservoir. I think it's Shell Reservoir. It looked more like a lake. Thankfully, we carried our rain gear and we got dumped on during our ride back to camp.
    [​IMG]

Uh Oh, after we got back to camp the rain turned to snow.
    [​IMG]

Roscoe seemed to like the snow
    [​IMG]

Wilbur did not seem to like the snow
    [​IMG]

So, with the trails now too sloppy to ride in the mud and snow, we made an audible and left after 2 days of riding and headed east where we thought it would be warmer...
    [​IMG]

B10Dave, Ladybug, Ride Now and 2 others like this.
  9. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fred approves of our new 1 day riding spot in the Bearlodge region of the Black Hills just north of Sundance, WY.
    [​IMG]

Wilbur, Blue Bunny & Roscoe approve as well
    [​IMG]

But we had a false start. Turns out Wilbur's rear bearings were going out. Good thing Mrs. Admiral reminded me to bring an extra trailer wheel conversion setup. So here I am using a hammer to swap out rims before we head out.
    [​IMG]

We rode up to Warren Peak Lookout.
    [​IMG]

It was windy and chilly up here but this was our lunch spot too
    [​IMG]

It had spectacular views of the entire region.
    [​IMG]

One last stop we made at the northern part of the area was at Cook Lake. It was a very pretty area. We spotted many forest rats (deer) all day too so be careful when riding this area.
    [​IMG]

From here we headed even further east for the obligatory visit to my parent's house in Minnesota. We did take a nice 90-minute modern-day paddlewheel boat tour of Lake Pepin on the Mississippi River near Lake City.
    [​IMG]

Only one side of the paddlewheel was working as the bearings went out on the other side. The boat's only propulsion is the paddles.
    [​IMG]

My sister and husband, my parents, and the Admiral's riding on a boat of all things.
    [​IMG]
    Kampfire, NSR400, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  10. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our plan from here was to head to Utah and ride in the Panguitch area for a few days. Well, we got distracted and spent a day riding in the Unita Mtns. between Flaming Gorge and Vernal, Utah.
    The fall color change of the Quakie Aspens was full-on.
    [​IMG]

Suspected Forest Service Rental Yurt. We rode up to the Yurt.
    [​IMG]

It was locked but we unzipped an outer window and peered in for a look. We made sure no one was there before we did the whole peeping tom thing.
    [​IMG]

This area has a vast number of trails to ride. If you pass through on Hwy 191 I recommend you spend a day or two here riding around. We only spent 1 day here so left a lot on the table for another visit in the future.
    [​IMG]

We left the next morning to rain and some snow at the summit of the highway. We are reevaluating our "riding at high elevation" and called another audible for our next unplanned stop.

Instead of pushing on to Panguitch we instead decided on the somewhat warmer climate (lower elevation) of the San Rafael Swell area. We've been here before but it's ok to ride again especially if it's warmer.
    [​IMG]

After we unloaded we rode and visited Gobblin Valley which neither of us had been to before.
    It is pretty neat.
    [​IMG]

The next morning I took Roscoe and Fred for a hike. They approve of the area.
    [​IMG]

We rode through North Temple Wash. Miners Cabin with Temple Mtn. in the background
    [​IMG]

Then on to Red Canyon. Seems as though the rains had dumped in this area as well. The road/wash was damp and washed out in several areas.
    [​IMG]

Old miners truck on the road towards Tomsich Butte mine. Wonder why the engine was removed but not taken. Unusual for sure.
    [​IMG]

All of the mine adits in the Tomsich Butte area are now seal off so the public can remain radioactive-free. The mine chute is cool with the adit/portal grated for our protection.
    [​IMG]

We decide to ride several miles downstream of the Muddy Creek to have lunch at the Muddy Creek mine area.
    [​IMG]

Another old miners car heading out of the Muddy Creek
    [​IMG]

...and one last stop before camp. The petroglyphs on South Temple Wash. I'm always amazed at the petroglyphs.
    [​IMG]

Oh, and we did stop for a few hours of riding near Panguitch Lake. I think Mrs. Admiral will agree with the trail number.
    [​IMG]

From here we stayed overnight near Cedar City, picked up the youngest grandson, and headed home. It was a great 3 weeks of vacation.

The End
    NSR400, B10Dave, Ladybug and 3 others like this.
  11. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great update!