1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

ADR Exemption For Imported Custom Machines

Discussion in 'Australia' started by nicholastanguma, Aug 26, 2020.

1. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've read online that in Oz all pre-76 bikes have no ADR's no matter what state you live in (so they can't back date ADRs otherwise you would have to update your bike every year to reflect new silly laws--a 2021 bike is not the same as a 1973 bike obviously).

And that the same is true for all pre-73 automobiles.

Can anyone confirm or deny the above?

When all this C19 bollocks has finally passed I'm still intending a move to Sydney, including importation of some of my vintage bikes and cars, so I'm researching exactly how possible this will be, considering for instance the bikes have been so restomodded that at this point they literally do not at all resemble the original machines they were at the factory--frame modifications, brake upgrades, suspension upgrades, absolutely everything changed from factory specs. If I can avoid awkwardness with Aussie customs officials and registration officials by simply importing only pre-76 bikes and pre-75 cars then I'll go this route.
  2. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    If you have owned the bikes and lived overseas for 12 months they don't have to comply with ADR's. That is for bikes of any age.
    nicholastanguma likes this.
  3. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Wrong side of the Vcitorian virus zombi-fence
    They do however, have to be roadworthy if you intend using them on the street – and that will include headlights which dip the correct way, indicators, mirrors and all the regular stuff like no oil-leaks, brakes that work, fresh tyres etc.
  4. tomrux

tomrux Long timer

Oddometer:
    Umm no not so. As someone whom has been down this road. I know for fact that the 97 Suzuki I imported as a private import had to be shown to comply with any and all applicable ADR's in force at the time of manufacture. Generally pre 76 motorcycles and pre 73 motor cars just have to shown to be roadworthy and this process can be different in different states. Anything that falls under the special interest vehicles category come under a different regime with different and often contradictory rules n regulations.

Cheers
    Tom R
    Cruz and nicholastanguma like this.
  5. nicholastanguma

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this clarification. I was indeed skeptical that any foreign machine could so easily bypass ADR.

Helpful. :thumb
    bigborett likes this.
  6. urbanoyster

urbanoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My limited knowledge is
    You can import a vehicle that is 25 years or older (rolling date), and not need to meet current ADR requirements, but still need to meet some customs and federal DOT requirements.
    In NSW you can register a 30 year old vehicle (rolling date) under Historic rego, but it needs to be roadworthy and fairly original. It helps if the vehicle make and model was originally imported into Australia when new. You also can only drive/ride it up to 60 times a year.
    Also in NSW you can get vehicles that have been modified, even heavily modified, registered under Conditional rego (the same as say an excavator), but there are engineering, and safety inspections, and a few more hoops to go through to get it.
  7. BarKerKTM

BarKerKTM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure where you are getting all that from.. Unless things have greatly changed..
  8. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Did you live overseas with the bike for 12 months?
  9. tomrux

tomrux Long timer

Oddometer:
    I owned it overseas for in excess of 12 months, which, at the time, was the the question DOTARS asked me when I applied for permission to import it. Still had to show it met applicable ADR at the time it was manufactured, easy enough as it passed UK rules, then had to get a roadworthy at time of registration. Should I sell it (free to do so if I whish) the import approval must go with it.
    I do understand that questions and or conditions have tightened up since, 2007/8.

Cheers
    Tom R
  10. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    Owning it is different to owning and living there. The intent of the legislation is if you are living overseas and own a car or bike and move to Oz you can bring it with you. If you live in Oz and own a bike OS, it doesn't satisfy that intent.
  11. tomrux

tomrux Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bike was owned and used OS. I didn't just buy it wait 12 and bring home. It was bought to be used where it was. I did so.

Cheers
    Tom R
    buckscreek likes this.
  12. Woody2627

Woody2627 Grey Wobbler

Oddometer:
    You are not answering the question. Were you living overseas fo 12 months? That is the crux of the matter and relevant the OP's situation.
  13. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    The rules are different if you owned, used and resided with the vehicle for at least 12 months compared to importing the vehicle without you owning, using and resided with the vehicle.

If you owned, used and resided with the vehicle for at least 12 months then the vehicle does not have to comply with the ADRs.

The reason why your vehicle had to comply with the ADRs was because you did not satisfy all of the rules for non ADR compliance.
    Woody2627 likes this.
  14. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    My sister and brother in law moved to euro for a couple of years, they bought a Peugeot when they got there and bought it home with them after

they made them upgrade the seat belts to ADR ones and change the indicators but that was it

that was 20+ years ago so
    Warin likes this.
  15. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was there any good reason for bringing the Peugeot into the country?

A history of mental illness perhaps?
    Precis, Warin and GodSilla like this.
  16. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    I still ask the same thing myself

they own a citron now

17. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
  18. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Citroen are cactus!!!:D
    20200627_111307.jpg
    Warin likes this.
  19. tomrux

tomrux Long timer

Oddometer:
    Answers your question no?

At the time i imported the bike I was not asked the question as you put it. I truthfully answered all questions put to me. The questions/guidelines have since changed no doubt but at the time I was straight up and truthfull

"The reason why your vehicle had to comply with the ADRs was because you did not satisfy all of the rules for non ADR compliance."

I had to state and show that the bike met Australian design rules at the time it was produced, ie left hand dip headlight and other bits that I can not recall. This was a DOTARS requirement. Without said compliance it would not have veen allowed in as a registered vehicle. The questionnaire was an all pass or nothing kind of a deal. One strike and you were out. Prolly got copies in my files somewheres but I ain't bothered enough to dig em out. I know what I did and what I was asked and I have the bike to prove it.

Cheers
    Tom R
  20. nicholastanguma

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone for helping. Well, at least to those blokes that were actually helpful. Has anyone noticed how threads on ADVrider sometimes go awry? :lol2

Just today I received the following info from Brent Thomas, one of the chaps behind bikesabroad.com.au, a company which specializes in importing foreign motos into Oz and shipping Aussie bikes abroad. So, literally, people with questions such as mine are exactly who he has for customers. I'll just copy-n-paste his email reply to me:

"Up until December just gone, the rule was based on our MVSA legislation that was implemented on 01/01/1989 with anything built before it (and in original structural condition) being reasonably pain free and anything built after requiring compliance with Australian Design Rules. Vehicles that have been structurally modified to the point where they are no longer in their original "structural" condition do not qualify in any case. The main point being that we're talking about is structural condition, cosmetic modifications are acceptable. The rule itself has just been changed to a rolling 25 year rule with the same conditions regarding structure, etc. The difference is simply in the year of build qualification so vehicles built in 1995 or older now qualify.

The other potential option to avoid formal ADR compliance is the Personal Imports Scheme which essentially requires you to have owned and resided with a vehicle overseas for more than 12 months, that you're applying within 6 months of arriving. It's important to note you can only make an application for PIS qualification once in every five year period."
    Warin likes this.