Adv - Adv S. Difference in real life?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Fredde_M, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Fredde_M

Fredde_M Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

The S-model is an inch or so higher than the normal 950.
    Can someone tell me if there is any significant differences in handling on
    tarmac roads between the models?

Planning to sell the SV this spring and then aim for a 990.
    990/990S will be priced at exact same level here in Sweden and I can't help thinking that the S looks more sharp with the higher suspension and straight saddle. But I don't think I will use the extra off road qualities.

Correct me if I'm wrong: Most (or many) of the threads about failures on the 950 are about carburator/fuel supply problems. Maybe all this will be gone with fuel injection. What do you think?

//F
  2. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    2'' difference.....if you ask your missus if she would prefer the extra 2'' i bet we all know the REAL answer!!:lol3
  3. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    fuel supply issues seem mainly related to the routing of hoses and the canister and I reckon they are minor.

The sleeper for the 950/990 seems to be the water pump issue and neither engine appears to have got the problem licked.

IMHO the pump shaft is a wear item and hopefully I change it before it wears...

Ergonomically the reach seat bars footpegs is identical for both models if the same seat is installed.

I'm 6'5" and installed the touratech high seat and low mount fastways and now the bike fits me well (for a bike). It makes more sense for me to raise the seat-footpeg distance and retain the ability to reach the ground than to choose longer suspension.

I ride enough dirt and the standard suspension with a few mods is more than good enough. I think the limitation is not travel but tyres.

It wasn't that long ago that 4" travel was about as good as it got or am i just showing my age. :rofl
  4. lawyer1219

lawyer1219 Pair-a-Dice

Oddometer:
    S model is better off-road in the extremes ie: bigs hits, high speeds. Standard model is better or at least equal for just about everything else ie:
    more comfort because of seat, lower seat height, lower center of gravity, ...etc. Ask yourself, How are you going to use it?
  5. Fredde_M

Fredde_M Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the S-seat the same for 03-06 models?

Have tested the 950 (not S) a couple of times and it felt more fun and alive than the GS1200. Maybe a little bit more wobbly at higher speeds but nothing scary.

Thinking of how and where I'm driving the GS would be the rational choice, but bike riding is more than that. Unfortunately I think there would not be so many S demo bikes around to test and compare with.

//F
  6. lawyer1219

lawyer1219 Pair-a-Dice

Oddometer:
    I don't own an S model but I believe they all come with the narrow butt-wedge seat. The dished, gel seat is offered as an option through the KTM Hardparts catalog. The dished gel seat came standard on my o5.5 bike and is much more comfy than the narrow seat. All taken in perspective though, the standard narrow seat on the 950 is a hell of a lot more comfy than the standard seat on my 450 EXC. I did go to a softer foam on the EXC from EE that they claim gives greater comfort. We will see in the spring when I ride it. Garage test - feels like I went from Oak to Pine!:lol3
  7. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    The seats aint the same......03/04 S models had the same seats as the non gel seats......gel seats were optional extra's at these years.The 05's became gel seats.
  8. airwater

airwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I sat on the '05 adventure at a show it felt closer to the seat height of my standard '03 than the standard '05.

Alan
  9. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:

Perhaps, but I am still thinking about fuel injecting mine this year using a megasquirt system.
  10. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    I had the very first S, the 2003. I'm 6'5'' and even to me that bike was a pain in some circumstances. Pushing it while sitting: only on a level surface. Slow U-turns were no fun either. That's for about one inch more of suspension travel. For thoroughbred rally pilots only, probably. My experience is that for street use, it's not helping you at all.

The current modelrange shows an S that's actually lower than the 2003 non-S, so by now it's up to your taste and/or use. For street use, a new S doesn't make much sense, probably.
  11. Fredde_M

Fredde_M Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tested both the 990 and 990S this weekend.

The S-model was impressive and just as comfortable as the normal model.
    No difference on common tarmacs roads - just fun.
    Strong, but rather harsh engine and quite jerky fuel injection.

//F
  12. Window_licker

Window_licker n0b

Oddometer:
    Hello guys. First post

I tested a 990 last week, didn't find a single issue with the fuel injection, and I really tried to find a weak spot. The engine was smooth and surprisingly good in comparison to my 950SM ( which I am now part exchanging for the 990) Throttle response was excellent, with no snatchiness picking it up from apex's where you really need a nice smooth drive
    I have owned quite a few FI bikes now, the best was Ducati, the 990 was nearly as good. The worst deffinately was my Cbr600rr and my VFR800ABS which were appalling .
  13. trident

trident Town Idiot

Oddometer:
    Second That!:evil

I ride an S and the only problem you will have (unless you are 7' mutant'') is pushing it around while sitting on it. You will definately feel some difference while sitting at the light and a strong wind wops you sideways and the bike goes over 4'' before you can get enough foot on the ground.

Other then that I love mine and I am only 5'10''.
  14. Hambone950

Hambone950 Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

Oddometer:
    Fruit of the gods nature of the bike notwithstanding, all bikes reflect a bit of a compromise but both are great platforms for personalising to your style of riding.
    Of the two, 950s is often considered a little more focused platform bike for off road on account of suspension travel but IMHO both bikes will do even better off road with a couple of mods unrelated to suspension travel:

• Depending on rider height, easing transition to standing by having a higher seat-for a medium inseam rider the std bike can benefit from this. Not just standing but also getting forwards on the seat for cornering and sliding the rear end. Always done with respect of course.....
    • Precision Concepts (or equiv) suspension tune for off road/ rider weight. All those who have this cite a helluva difference in planted nature of F/E-again 950 and 950s will benefit from this.
    • IMHO The 950s without the mod is a little prone to dive in it's early movement at any speed through the rough off road.
    • Both bikes are still a tall, heavy bike and the ability to get a leg out without having to have it leaning over too much on a wet street or slippery dirt in the real world will save knee injuries
    The longer travel is a tremendous benefit when combined with tuning of suspension for a little more regular off road use or more vigorous use.
    Indeed, I would, if I had a 950 as opposed to a 950s, recommend spending money with precision concepts before worrying about suspension travel.

If you are a medium height rider mainly on the street with occasional off road forays i would be happy with the 950. If anything they are a little cheaper secondhand too.

I am a tall rider. I always wanted the 950s and have modified my bike extensively for off road. I am happy with it but the overall character of oth bikes is very similar
  15. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    I've owned both, sort of.

I bought an 04 950 S, with tall seat. Tried to make it work, but it was simply too tall. I'm 5' 11" and pretty stocky build, can handle most any bike. And I did handle this bike fine in almost all circumstances.

With a Renzaco seat, it was all I could do to get a tip toe down at the light.

I rode the tall S for a couple thousand miles before deciding it was a better option to install the shorted setup. I just swapped out for an 04 non-S. Huge difference in height. I've put about 750 miles on the non-S setup, here's my thoughts.

• Fork dive under hard braking is reduced dramatically.
    • ride height is now balls of the feet instead of tip toes.
    • Feels "flickier"
    • Off road, doesn't seem to soak up big hits as well.
    While I don't consider myself a "hairdresser", I do think if you are tall enough to handle the S, the tradeoffs aren't that bad. I can push both very hard on the road, the non-s has a slight advantage.

Honestly, this bike is a do-it-all for me with lots of commuting and road duty. I'm not a hard core offroader, but do envision working my way up to that. The S was more nerve wracking off-tarmac just due to the fact that I couldn't ever touch down to stabilize while going slow. Forget about walking the bike forward or back. I had to dismount just to move it around a parking lot.:D

If I had the loot to spend, I would have/should have sent my S off to Bob Bell and had it lowered and revalved.
  16. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    I have an '04 USA model ('03 for across the pond I guess) "S", you know....
    the TALL one:nod :nod . I had a pretty big crashola on 3/11 and the Ins. Co. wanted to total it:yikes I called up screaming bloody murder:fyyff " I can't get a new one just like it, I HAVE to fix this one!!" They said:fitz , I said:eatme , they said, "will the shop write you another estimate?", I said :nod . Shop wrote lower estimate and Ins. said:thumb , I said:wings :wings :rayof :wings :feelgood :smile6 :jump :thumbup .
    I would'nt trade the "S" for a lower one, NO FOOKIN' WAY!!
    As far as how the "S" handles the twisties on pavement, just ask anyone who's ridden with me:knary !!
    SEE YA
    CHRIS
  17. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the first year orange S model (04' US, 03' Euro) and my riding buddy has an 05.5' standard. You put them side by side and there is a huge difference in height. I am 6'1" and I would not want the bike any taller. But the suspension difference between the two off road is significant. Mine can be dialed in to take some abuse where the standard model seems to bottom easier which makes sense. On the road my long legged beast is more prone to the cross wind pushes when they are blowing. It does seem that KTM keeps watering the suspension down so to speak. If they are going to offer an S model they should give her the original length legs like my orange S and the GO!!!!! model have. Mine's a keeper. If you have the inseam to handle it and plan to ride rough terrain then go S.
  18. Pyndon

Pyndon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, whilst we are on the subject I would like to know if I can easily raise a 2006 Adventure S to the height of a 2004 Advetnture S. Thats up 20mm to make it into a propper off-road racing desert machine!! By the way I am 6'5" tall with a 36" inseam!!

2003 Adventure = 230mm travel
    2003 Adventure 'S' = 265mm travel
    2004 Adventure = 230mm travel
    2004 Adventure 'S' = 265mm travel
    2005 Adventure = 210mm travel
    2005 Adventure 'S' = 245mm travel
    2006 Adventure = 210mm travel
    2006 Adventure 'S' = 245mm travel

245mm to 265mm, what do I need to do, does anybody know or has anybody done it?

Thanks fellow adventurers. :wink:
  19. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    I thought the S is for homophobe wannabee whimps who think they really need the S to match their Meoni like off road skills while their pathetically limited riding skills on tarmac prevent them even noticing how much better the normal bike is...

And I'm even worse having owned both. :lol3
  20. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Find a willing swapper, who has the tall gear. I just traded out my 04 GO!!! with the 265 legs for the 04 non-S. I'm not sure if the legs are physically different externally or if they are simply spaced internally to reduce height. My guess would be that the 03-04 S legs are physically longer. There should not be any compatibility issues with an 06-04 swapperoo.