Adv - Adv S. Difference in real life?

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Fredde_M, Jan 24, 2006.

1. mlemke

mlemke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just put '04 S suspension on my '05.5 non S. I went from the lowest setup to the tallest setup. There were no problems with this swap.....every part interchanges perfectly. Front forks, rear shock, front brake line, center stand, and side stand.

Most here are talking about a persons height related to managing these different suspension setups. I'm really tall, but I'm also 255 lbs......this is the main reason I wanted the longer suspension. I'm tall enough to manage an '04 S on slippery pavement, and the additional travel will help provide a smoother landing and reduce bottom outs for my heavy arse.

Regards,

M
  2. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My dealer never confirmed it but he thought that the standards have shorter slider tubes fitted from the factory. But I bet the S models have the proper sliders but just need some internal parts changed out to gain that lost 20mm or so.
  3. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    The tubes themselves are the same on practically ALL the KTM's!!!!!
    SEE YA
    CHRIS
  4. alanwilz

alanwilz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If this is your only KTM then it makes sense to be smart and normal and buy an orange standard model.

I know I would have done that for my two 04 950S's ....were it NOT for the very nice blue paint job. While I prefer the new Dakar look or my Go !!! replicas.....even the relatively staid (non replica) '05S looks sharp.

Plus I think if you EVER had to sell the bike ...the S would either get you a better price (just based on the fact that it's the "top model" even though WE know it means very little ) - or at the very least it would set your bike a bit apart from 3 others on eBay competing for your buyers.

Even though these bikes ( and my 950SM in NYC...and now (!!! ) my 990 SuperDuke in Spain ) are the very most fun to ride of my 67 bikes and cars ( and Pilots and Odysseys now ....because let's face it .....I didn't have enough shit ;-) !.....sorry I digress...

Even if for some reason I wanted to just display it ( perhaps say after a middle-age onset of fear-of-heights or something ) - with some RedBull or Gauloises or Repsol graphics.....you can make a really nice Dakar Replica.

In that ( albeit narrowly appealing perhaps ) sense - the S makes much cooler garage-art.

When I was at Laguna this year with my 950....even though you'd expect the crowd on Cannery Row to be "all about sportbikes" ....even the Ducati SBK's all just blended into each other and the 950 "replica" induced 1,000 lenthy dissertations about Dakar from buddy to buddy.

And EVERYONE looked and said "9fiddy....NY plates.....and you just KNOW that guy rode it here".

Fortunately I had at least done a nice 600 mile Tahoe-Yosemite-Monterey run the day before...or I would have felt like a COMPLETE wusswon hearing that over and over.

I just bought a vast property in Upstate NY ( 12521 zip) if any owners want to come and ride all over my property with me you are very welcome to do so. If you can keep pace with me on one of my 525exc's I will buy you a REALLY good dinner after.

if you can't: I will buy dinner anyway , because I most certainly could NOT and in fact FREAK when the giant beast stops mid hill and I feel like "honey I shrunk the rally-rider-wannabe" !

I will never forget the dude who posted here 2 years ago after riding his bike 2000miles and saying "It's perfection....but MAN I respect those guys who race these things...crashing must be like jumping off the roof of your GARAGE" .

Classic line still makes me laugh. Dropping mine 11 times on stock rubber in the mud of the Andalusian plains : not so much.
    Pariahtize likes this.
  5. mlemke

mlemke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure what the hell to make of that last post. Please FWD a picture of your willy Alan.....

Fredde, I got some good ride time tonight on my 05.5 with 04 S suspension installed. One thing I noticed that was not listed above is that the S / higher suspension likes to wheelie a LOT more than my standard setup did. Lovin' it.

Regards,

M
  6. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    Pfew... that's a relief... I thought it was me. :lol3
  7. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Wow Alan, I had to take a pee break in between reading your enormous sig line and the ensuing guffaws.:lol3

Sounds to me like you need to host an ADV rally for 9five0's. And buy the beers...:deal

Back to the topic at hand, while I enjoy stroking my machismo as much as the next guy, PRACTICALLY speaking, the non-S was a better fit for ME. I rode my GO!!!!! for a couple thousand miles and loved it, but it was too hard to live with.

An analogy if you will...

Back in my college days, was dating a tall blond hottie. Real hot. The perks that came along with that relationship were fantastic. She hooked up with some dude in Jamaica over spring break, but I didn't care. She was really hot:deal . After awhile, it became too much, too one-sided. She was just too much for me to handle. I now have another hot girlfriend, not nearly as much as the previous, but much easier to live with. She pulls her own weight, is a good person, has a great family, we're entirely devoted to each other.

The point of the story is if you are 6' +, buy the S. If you have what it takes to date a supermodel, and you're not 6'+, good luck to you. You may be fine, you may also find, like me, that while you COULD handle the taller susp, you'd rather have the shorter.:D

And, no you can't have a picture of my willie...
  8. apeirce

apeirce So I was following Andrew

Oddometer:
    Dude,

I'm there, my DRZ won't keep up with your 525, and I don't have my 950 yet, but I want to see your collection and you're only about an hour and a half away and I can always eat dinner.

Let's do it.

I'm serious, PM me if you are. If you want to meet beforehand I'll be at Lime Rock Memorial Day weekend. Right in the middle between us.
  9. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer:
    67 bikes and cars? Dude, where you at? I'm thinking with your dough
    and my looks, I could get some chicks. Let's hook up my man!
  10. KTMax

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  11. rah

rah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i've got a non-S '03 and my mate has an S '05 which i've ridden a lot. The 05 has been adjusted to have the same seat height as my 03. The first thing you notice on the S is the floating of the softer springs (i think they're about 20 or 30 NM softer). in theory, i suppose, this can make the bike less stable for fast pavement work. but in practice it makes it f**king fantastic for most city riding: it soaks up speed humps, potholes & curbs as though they don't exists. this well cushioned ride is very, very noticeable and there's something very pleasing about it.

just thought i'd mention this as no-one else has focussed on it.
  12. KTMax

Oddometer:
    All Adventures have the same spring rate of 4.8Nm. From the first 03 models up to the current 990's. Just as the S and regular low models use the very same springs. Spring rate, length, part#, everything.

From 05 (both models were lowered) the springs got a different length. But still 4.8Nm and still the same length for the S and regular bike.
  13. rah

rah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ktmax is usually right (apart from his early flat denial of the arrival of the 990 by 2006!) so i was malinformed.

what i do understand is that the softness of the S ride is sublime in many situations. in an attempted to get most of my suspension travel earning its keep under my light frame, i have my compression dampening set low and the preload set to its softest. still, the S is much cushier
  14. taco

taco Guest

:1drink
    No I think your off a bit here. The 950 guys are the ones who ran in and bought something over their heads,just to not own a BMW, the S riders paid extra for 35mm ( do the math on that) that way they could trump the first guys and compensate.Most of those sold fast before they crashed to have the dough for the next big thing.The BMW crowd are the ones who go to the hairdressers ( the wives say so) The hairdresses? They ride whatever they can get their hands on....DRZ's,Combat Wombats,Cagivas, early retro PDGS,Benneli Mojave's...things like that,now those guys can cut hair.
  15. KTMax

Oddometer:
    Yes it is. It floats'n glides more. Sort of a flying carpet kinda feel. It definately has something nice about it.

On the other hand, on the road it's clearly heavier handling (higher C of G), less stable, more wiggles'n wobbles (when pushed a bit), more dive on the brakes and much less rider feedback. It really is a trade off. Which is good IMO.

The extra grip, stability and confidence of the 19/17" combo ups the speed on tar considerably, sort of throwing the bike around like big SM with a fairing. :evil My forks are on max preload, max rebound, 2 clicks before max compression and I think they are still on the soft side. I feel a fork rebuild coming up... :D
  16. Fredde_M

Fredde_M Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a longer test trip on a 990 ADV today.

Tried to push it a little bit more this time and I'm still impressed with the bike. You don't really feel how fast your going on the small roads until you look at the speedometer.

Had a bit of gravel riding also - nimble and almost too strong. Back wheel was spinning all over zero throttle.

This demo bike had Akrapovic pipes without any reprogrammed ECU.
    The fuel injection was very on/off around 3000rpm, but according to the dealer a reprogramming should cure that.

Planning to test the Duc Multistrada this weekend. Then I have to make a decision about what bike to go for.

//F