ADV bike lower than a Vstrom?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Woodsparrow, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Woodsparrow

Woodsparrow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like my 650, but the height is really driving me nuts. Even with a small lowering link and adjusting the suspension, it's too tall for me, and I'm not sure I want to invest in it further. 30" inseam. Plus the previous owner seems to have bought every accessory ever made for it and then removed half of them, kind of. I recently had to take it to a dealership because I couldn't figure out the blasted lighting problems - they traced the headlight failure to an LED tail light replacement that hadn't been grounded, and there were 3 different headlight harnesses run through it, plus like 4 things wired into the battery.

Anyway. I don't think I want to mess around with the bike - it's great but maybe just not for me. So I'm debating swapping to something I can flat foot, and I'd like to keep the ADV style ride if I can, if anyone has a suggestion. I do need to either run 30+ miles on the highway one way to work, or 5 miles to the train station on city streets, so I kind of need a good at everything ride, especially one that won't require me to fill up halfway to work.

I won't offroad it at all, I just like upright rides (can't do cruiser or sport seating because of back).
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Versys X?

I'm not sold on seat height as a gauge; for example my X-Country with 32.5" seat feels the same height as SWM Superdual which is 35". BMW uses "inner leg curve, unladen weight" formula which takes into account bike width and surprisingly some taller bikes are easier to flatfoot than lower ones.. GS is one of them
  3. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    Honda CB500X or NC700/750X? Dunno for certain the seat height, but Honda makes a soft suspension with a lot of sag?
    EZMoney likes this.
  4. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    This site might help you evaluate the different bikes. https://cycle-ergo.com/

You click through to find the bike, then add your personal height, inseam, then you can add other bikes.
  5. Woodsparrow

Oddometer:
    I usually use Cycle-ergo to determine fit, so the formulas shouldn't matter? I should be able to flat foot the GS. I don't think I can afford any of the fancier or more expensive GS models. I'm about pegged at a few thousand after trade, and I'd like to just get a new bike and avoid the dang gremlins I always seem to find.
  6. Woodsparrow

Oddometer:
    I've had a couple NC700s (don't ask) and they're pretty close to the same height as the Vstrom. A little lower, but still not 'flat foot'.

CB500X was probably one of my favorite bikes, but I did feel it was a little under-tuned for the highway.
  7. Woodsparrow

Oddometer:
    I use the pants off that website!
  8. ScorpionT16

ScorpionT16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://www.rideapart.com/articles/...venture-vs-2013-honda-cb500x-comparison-test/

CB500X would be my suggestion, pre-2019 before they added the 19" wheel and raised it a few mm. I have one now, and am switching for the opposite reasons, it's too low for me, at 34" inseam I can flat foot, stand straight, and still have a couple of inches under to spare. I had a SV650, same engine as the V-strom, didn't miss the power after a few days
  9. Woodsparrow

Oddometer:
    I'll take another look. I had one a few years ago. Even if they are clearancing the 2019 models it'll probably work. Especially if I drop a suspension kit in, those normally lower it a bit.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The cycle-ergo provide useful information but not tell the whole story; you have to check bikes in person.

What year is your Wee? They redesigned plastics and seat/tank for Gen3 and it made it slightly better for vertically challenged guys like you and me. IIRC the inner leg curve, unladen weight for regular GS listed at 1900mm, same as for G310GS.
  11. Woodsparrow

Oddometer:
    2013, so it should be one of the shorter ones already.

Edit: I think 1900mm might be wrong - that's 74 inches?
  12. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    the vstrom seat is abit wide, so some bread knife to the side foam n you will gain some stand up room.
  13. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    With a 29” inseam just about every bike I have ever owned is “tall” for me. I have a 2017 650 that I put a lowering link on. I guess I’ve just gotten used to dealing with tall bikes, but I also have a 2017 Triumph Street Scrambler that I can easily flatfoot...different style but a lot of fun to ride. I also had a Tiger 800 XCX Low suspension model that I could nearly flatfoot.
    danketchpel likes this.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    F/G 650 GS
    https://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/top-10-adventure-motorcycles-for-short-riders/11/

I have AX41 tires on mine and have alot more fun in the dirt than on my 650 Strom.
    I have a Seat Concepts tall/Dakar seat to vs the standard lower Seat Concepts seat.

28" inseam here and no issues with flat footing my GS. My Strom also with Seat Concepts is taller on my feet for sure.

Both bikes are 19/17" and so so ground clearance. GS is lighter and feels just as fast up till about 70. Both bikes need suspension work!

20191017_132036.jpg
    rauchman and cyclopathic like this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Have you sat on and tried the Himalayan?
    Low seat and COG. Might be the torquey motor you need.
    danketchpel likes this.
  16. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think my inseam is 29" but I may be shrinking to 28" I have the 2012 strom with a 7'8" lowering link and I had 1/1/2 inchs cut out of the seat, it is perfect balls of the feet. I use a sheep skin for long highway runs and that adds more comfort but raises me about 1/2"
    cyclopathic likes this.
  17. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I was going to suggest but I don't know how it falls into the budget. My Bonneville T-120 is the only bike in my garage I can truly flat foot (29" inseam). I've ridden tall dirt bikes for so long I've gotten used to never being able to flat foot.

Other bikes that come to mind are the Tiger 800 roadie low, I could flat foot that bike, RE Himalaya but wheezy on the freeway, that BMW F650GS, maybe the already mentioned CB500X. Otherwise you're in cruiserville the home of low seat heights.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The measurement is x2 leg inseam running one leg from the bottom up and down second. R1200GS is also listed as 1860mm with seat in low position.. comparing to G310GS 1900mm. They also have factory lowered version IIRC.

The Wee-strom was redesigned for 2017 and should feel lower than Gen2 you have. I have owned 2015 for 2 years same as yours put happy 73k miles on it. That bike is wide I ran lowering links and modified seat.

Edit:
    R 1200 GS BMW bike Seat Height Reference:
    800/820mm - Low Suspension Kit (Option) 820/840mm - Low Front Seat (Option/Accessory)
    825/845mm - Low Comfort Seat
  19. Woodsparrow

Oddometer:
    I'm really looking at a GS 750. I'm going to to sit one tomorrow. I don't think I can afford one, the cheapest new is still 11k, and I'm not seeing any used nearby.
  20. Woodsparrow

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try it - same place has like 6 different bikes I want to check out tomorrow. Worried that it won't have the top speed I'd like.
    eakins likes this.