ADV bike lower than a Vstrom?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Woodsparrow, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Woodsparrow

Woodsparrow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those're all on the list. I'm worried about the REH being too slow, and I think the BMW is out of range due to price. I'm considering the RE 650INT but no long term reviews. And I had a Bonney I liked - a couple used ones nearby and the street twin line is kind of reasonably priced.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The thumper G650GS will have all the top speed you like but a nice low seat height.

I own one and a DL so I know

It would be used however as it sounds like you are a new bike buyer. It's an update to the F650GS thumper. Later there was a F650GS twin model too so don't get confused by BMW's stupid repeat naming. They have a seat height like your DL

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/top-10-adventure-motorcycles-for-short-riders/10/
  3. Woodsparrow

Oddometer:
    I've never seen someone measure inseam foot to foot, I've only seen it crotch-down.

Internet tells me that 2013 to 2017 changed around 5mm (.2 inches)?
  4. Woodsparrow

Oddometer:
    I think there's a knowledge gap for me - are you saying there's a single-cylinder 650 and a dual-cylinder model? That's all I know as a thumper, but I'm lost with the BMW naming conventions.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yes 05-07 F650GS is a 650 thumper.
    09+ G650GS is the update, same 650 thumper with a new fairing.

09+ F650GS is a twin, same bike as 800gs.
    Taller seat heights than the thumpers.

The 650 thumper bikes have 30" something seat heights & 19/17" wheels.

There are also Dakar & Sertao versions with 21" front wheels and taller seats. You want the 19" front wheel.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    This is a 2005 F650GS. I have a 28" inseam.
    I added a taller Seat Concepts seat found on the F650GS Dakar / G650GS Sertao models. It's 1" taller, because I don't like my legs bent as much as on the stock seat height. I'm very happy I went with the tall Dakar seat even though I have 28" inseam.

The seat height is 31" as I have it set up.
    If I bought the Seat Concepts for this model.it would be 30". You're not going to find an ADV much lower than that.

They did come from the factory with a lower option but I would not buy one.
    Ground clearance is really low.

I can still VERY easily flat foot my bike.
    Alot easier than my 650 Strom with a Seat Concepts seat.

What I bought. 1" taller. 31" seat height.
    https://seatconcepts.com/collection...-16-f650gs-tall-2000-07-dakar-sertao-standard

The 30" seat height one.
    https://seatconcepts.com/collections/bmw/products/bmw-2008-16-g650gs-2000-07-f650gs-single-cylinder

I'm explaining this because the standard seat would be even lower. Not sure what you are expecting but at 28" inseam my setup is very easy to flat foot.

Maybe go sit in a F650GS / G650GS and see. The 650 thumper makes alot of power, so that is not a concern. Not as much as the 650 Strom but they weigh less so power to weight is close.

It feels like a 3/4 Strom in size, but not in power. I use it for ADV riding and my Strom is my street tourer now.

The G650GS was available 09-17 so low mileage used ones are available and in your price range.

I hope this all help?

20191017_132036.jpg
  7. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Versys-X 300, and buy adjustable lower links, adjustable kickstand, raise the forks in triple tree.
    I also rworked the seat to make it lower and more comfortable.
    I also have 30" inseam and can easily flat foot both feet now with maybe a 1/2" to spare.
    Also have two insoles in each motorcycle boot to give me more height.
  8. rickh123

rickh123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should also check out 2017 and up V Strom 650. Even if the seat height is listed as the same as previous models (I'm not sure about it) because the seat is much narrower (specially in the front of it where it meets gas tank) the rich to the ground is much easier. In my case I had to go for a tall OEM seat even that I've never had this need on previous models. And - there is Suzuki low seat available as well.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is BMW thing unfortunately no one else following this trend. It does make sense because on some bikes while the seat is relatively low it is wide and you cannot flatfoot because of that. I have 2 bikes they feel about the same yet on one seat is 2.5" higher.

For 2017 Suzuki redesigned small side plastics, tail section of tank and front of the seat so bike is narrower and feels lower because of that.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    No it isn't your inseam shrinking it's your balls sagging I have the same problem
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You do shrink over the years.
    I had a measured 29" inseam forever, I measured over the years for bicycle frame fitting. Measured again recently and da hell? I'm in the 28" range now.

Flattening feet is a factor. My shoe size is now 1 larger. Wear boots with a nice heal.

My 2012 is stock. I'd rather toes up on that bike vs loose any more ground clearance.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    You need better riding shorts dude, Motoskivez, to pull those suckers up and forward. No fun sitting on your package for more than a few minutes.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the size man; mine are up to 10kg each or so I was told. I suspect that's Cal's problem too.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Ok tough guy.
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was not going to answer this but felt I had to let you know that it is very cold up here in Canada and these things tend to shrink up a little with the cold.:lol3
    cyclopathic likes this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have the same problem; barely got to 52. I was out yesterday setting up bike and stuck with cold.. time to go south of the border!
    Cal likes this.