ADV boots for dudes with big calves?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GreyThumper, Jan 28, 2016.

1. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been using Dainese Nighthawks (a mid-cut touring boot) for a coupla years now, and am checking out ADV boots (for more protection). The higher cut boots I've tried so far don't fit my calves (or if I pick a size that's big enough for my calves, there's too much room in the foot area).

Strangely enough, I didn't have this problem when I bought a pair of racing boots (which are similarly high cut), but heck, maybe I was just thinner then.

Can you recco an ADV boot manufacturer that has more material in the calf area?
  2. EastRoad

EastRoad Road Viking Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really can't know what would fit you... I'm like 5'9.... and I work most of the day standing, carrying weight and stuff... I do a fair bit of sports... my calf - at the widest - 17.7" (45cm)... I don't know how that compares ;) - never been into calf-comparing, sorry ;)
    The highest rising boots I have are my BMW Santiagos... I wear a EU Size 46 (it's roughly a size 12 US I think)... (yeah, I've got too big feet, I know).
    These boots fit me like a glove... the velcro-area gives a fair bit of adjustment...

My main issue with about 80% of the shoes and boots out there is that they are usually too narrow at the toe-section for my feet.
    With both hiking and riding boots I tend to go half a size larger than with regular walking shoes, considering I'll be wearing thicker socks as soon as the weather drops.

I would say all types of ADV boots that have a velcro-closure at top and maybe a few ratchets are easy to adjust to larger calf-diameters...

my old pair of daytona bandit XCR (street touring type) boots I had to open quite a bit to fit - and they were "Lower cut" than the santiago's...
    Yet the Santiagos fit perfectly...
    BMW isn't making that model anymore (replaced by the "Gravel")... I've tried a pair of the new ones recently (just to see whether I should stack some for the time my Santiago's will be worn out)... and surprisingly, they still fit just as well (plus they still are real Gore-Tex and not BMWs own ClimaComfort membrane).
  3. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These were the only ones I could get over my 21" calves and also fit my wide feet. They are also very comfortable from the beginning. I can go hiking in mine.

Gaerne Balance Oiled Boots
  4. MtnRider2

MtnRider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Tom1125

Tom1125 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Figured I'd drop this here to help people out. I have 20" calves and have found that Alpinestars Corozals work exceptionally well for me. I'm 6'1" and 250 with drumstick shaped lower legs (so says the Mrs.). The Corozals have the same height and fit as my Tech 1 MX boots but are quite a bit more flexible at the ankle for up/down movement and are much easier to walk around in and are WP as well. They feel like shin high hiking boots.
  6. dirtystevedirt

dirtystevedirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too am sporting big calves and the A-star Corozal's. 5'11 225
  7. Marto71

Marto71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've big calves too and found the Forma cape horn boots good, double velcro up top makes a big difference
  8. willibauer

willibauer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've found the forma adventure are very wide at the calves, the only shoes of about 10 i tried on that did fit.
    And they're very sturdy, you can drop your bike when falling in a ditch onto them, no problem
  9. 45Guy

45Guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20 inch calves here, and Forma Tera work great for me.
  10. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    FWIW, 19" calves and mostly happy with my Sidi Crossfires (might be the II) but the velcro on the inner liner doesn't match up, however the foot fits well (wide toe box) and the plastic completely covers the leg and the buckles latch well.
  11. Hail_TX

Hail_TX Middle Aged Crazy

Oddometer:
    How are the Corzal & Forma in the heat of the summer? I have the same issue as the OP but I am currently looking specifically for a good summer boot.
  12. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son?

Oddometer:
    This.
  13. Frankencycle

Frankencycle Margarita????

Oddometer:
    I just got the Forma Cape Horn. I chose them because of the adjustability of the calf's and that the soles are not as aggressive the forma adventure boot. I have Pivot Pegz and felt the aggressive sole of the adventure boot would be a issue with the Pegz. Even with the less aggressive sole on the Cape Horn the Pivot Pegz can get cought in the tread of the sole. But it is manageable once you get use to it. Just my 2ยข worth.
  14. daysgoneby

daysgoneby Been here awhile

Oddometer: