1. the_captain

the_captain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there, I have vacation time from July 22nd to the 30th. Unfortunately I can't afford RawHyde and Black Swan isn't offering any classes at this time. Can anyone recommend or know of any classes or teachers willing to instruct? I have 20 years street riding and no dirt experience. Purchased a 2017 GS last year, crash bars and skid plate already installed.

Thanks much
  2. Skyholic

Skyholic n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same situation with very little dirt experience on a F800GS. Which city are you in? I know there are some newbie offroad group rides at Big Bear time to time.
  3. the_captain

the_captain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in LA
  4. the_captain

the_captain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm willing to travel a couple hundred miles and camp if need be
  5. Skyholic

Skyholic n00b

Oddometer:
    I was looking into MotoVentures Level 2 for a while. Class is 5.5 hours for around $250 (BYOBike), also 1 on 1 available. I am off on the 29th --might be cheaper if we get a group together. Under 150 miles from LA.
  6. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    NSFW and Davethestick like this.
  7. the_captain

the_captain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CA Stu likes this.
  8. Skootz Kabootz

Skootz Kabootz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dirty Streetmasters is another good option. It is specifically designed for big bikes and those new to dirt. I've taken the class twice while at Horizons Unlimited in Yosemite and found it absolutely worthwhile.
  9. the_captain

the_captain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I don't think they are around anymore. Nothing updated since 2016 on their site
  10. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

thanks stu.

peeps, keep an eye for a noob training day. we normally do it 1-2x a year, free with complimentary lunch.

i already talked to the forest service in charge of rowher flats. there's a gated area that's relatively flat and they gave me the go signal. i have to get the key and possibly do a training sometime in october.

however, there's no substitute in taking a 2-day class, such as the jimmy lewis class.
    seckinjo and Skootz Kabootz like this.
  11. Skootz Kabootz

Skootz Kabootz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya, websites are not their thing. :) Much better at riding and teaching. Walt Fulton and his wife Nancy run the show. Walt is a former Daytona champ among other things. I know they will be holding a Dirty Streetmasters class again at this year's Horizons Unlimited. Seems they don't mention the dirt classes on the website for some reason. But their street classes are held at Willow Springs Raceway.

Anyways, their schedule is at the bottom of the page: http://www.streetmasters.info

FWIW I have also heard great things about MotoVentures but have not taken their class. I am reading the founders dirt riding book now and it is excellent. One cool thing about MotoVentures is once you have taken a class you have ongoing access to their practice facility so you can keep working on things. Pretty sweet.
  12. KaptSlo

KaptSlo In Idaho, never admit you moved from California. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've worked with Gary for the past couple years and can assure you that his facility, bikes and instruction are all first rate. Since you both have street time, sign up for his level 2 class. I suggest that you take the training on a smaller bike so you can get a good handle on the dirt techniques he'll cover. Then transfer those skills to your big bike through practice. Lots and lots of practice.

PM me if you have any specific questions. I'm living in Idaho now, but end up back in SoCal every 6 weeks or so due to training commitments made prior to my relocation.
  13. SeventyRobertOne

SeventyRobertOne Jabroni

Oddometer:
    Also in similar circumstances as the OP. 10 years of street riding but never a day of off-road in my life. Bought an R1200gs and would like to be able to do some very mild off-roading with confidence. Going to keep an eye on this thread.
  14. the_captain

the_captain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gary at Motoventures outside of Temecula is doing classes on the 28th and 29th of July. I'll be attending. Contact him here if you are interested.
    motoventuresinfo@gmail.com

John
    seckinjo likes this.
  15. Skyholic

Skyholic n00b

Oddometer:
    Great info and recommendations all around.
    Will be in contact with Gary as well.
  16. seckinjo

seckinjo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Coincidentally, I just this afternoon sent off an email to Gary/Motoventures about taking the 2-day class on August 4th & 5th. Now that I've found this thread, I may try to join you the 28th and 29th instead.

17. jnscattle

jnscattle n00b

Oddometer:
    All, thanks for sharing the info. I just transitioned off a HD Street Glide to a '18 Honda AT Adventure Sports with 3 years of riding experience. Looking to do some additional training and learn the skills for ADV. Located down in San Diego so if anyone is down this way feel free to network and coordinate a ride. I'll take a look at Motoventures. Cheers!
  18. seckinjo

seckinjo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m taking the Motoventures Level 2 class on November 11th, if anyone is interested in joining.

Will be riding down from Irvine.