ADV curious.....VStrom 1k, Yam Tenere, other?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by rauchman, Oct 16, 2019.

1. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm on a Harley Switchback, but am warming up to the idea of 2nd bike. I'm not getting rid of the Harley, but am getting curious about ADV bikes. My buddy has had a BMW F800GS and KLR650 that I've ridden. I LOVE the suspension, in that you basically don't feel road imperfections on a paved road.

I'd love to get a R1250GS (which is crazy money for me), but realistically, I'd be looking at a Vstrom 1K or Yam Tenere. I'd be open to other options as well, but I don't want a 650. I tour a few times a year and having thrust at 80+mph for me is important, not to mention....fun. My 1st bike, was a then new 2002 SV650S and my 3rd bike was a SV1000S, and am generally a fan of the Suzy twins. I kind of know what a VStrom would bring as far as engine characteristic, but have no idea how the Tenere would be. Off road capability isn't a priority, but if I'm going to get this kind of bike, I'd like to have a decent degree of it.

So.....thoughts? VStrom 1k, Yam Tenere…...other?

Thanks!
  2. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want a 'decent degree of off road capability' then i wouldn't pick the V1K or the even heavier S10..... I'd get the Yam T7.
    stromsavard likes this.
  3. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    I’m biased since I own a Ténéré but the Gen 1 bikes are an amazing bargain in the used bike category.
    MariusD and rauchman like this.
  4. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    The additional S10 suspension travel should make it much more comfortable riding off road.

I went with the V-Strom 1K over the S10 due to it being lighter. Either bike would be great.

Have you considered an AT (Africa Twin) . . . very smooth and comfortable.

You really need to test ride both.
    rauchman likes this.
  5. Motociclo

Motociclo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adventure bike and a cruiser. I am thinking bicurious.:lol3
    Motonirvana, Junglejeff1 and rauchman like this.
  6. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should realize, on this forum saying "a decent degree of off road capability" can mean different things to different folks.

For me, ....
    is more important than....

In thinking about it, I should be asking more specific questions. Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods, I know of nowhere where a test ride is possible.

Between the VS1k and the SE10....
    Which is better on the highway?
    Which is easier to manage moving out of the garage/parking lot stuff
    Which is smoother at low speed going through small towns with bumpy roads?
    Which is easier to maintain? Access to typical stuff (battery, fuses, air cleaner, etc.)
    Which will take a passenger easier/better?
    Which has better suspension? I know the SE10 has longer travel, but for the road does that equate to "better"?
    Which has better range/mileage?
    Which is lighter, better balanced?
    Which has been aftermarket support?
    Other options, roughly in the price range and roughly this level capability/power to consider? Really not interested in the Africa Twin.
  7. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    The VS1 weighs 70 lbs less, has a lower profile, and is more aerodynamic . . . cuts through the wind better.
    I am very impressed with its brakes and suspension. However, if I took long trips often, especially in wet conditions . . . I would probably get the S10 (driveshaft vs chain). The S10 carries its weight well . . . only feel the extra weight if you have to manhandle it.

Both are low maintenance with a huge after market of accessories etc. Get a 2014 and up on both bikes.

71E71457-5BC8-4ABF-9ADF-A02957862955.jpeg
    C50A68EA-593D-44A5-8C17-2BB7A6B17AFD.jpeg
    The_Precious_Juice and rauchman like this.
  8. Ironhand

Ironhand Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have owned the Vee and currently own a Tenere. I have been lucky enough to spend a bunch of time on an Africa Twin and several generations of GSA. My single biggest piece of advice would be to try them all. What suits any of us may not suit you. Also, "...off road capability" means different things to different people. Some talk about riding on a gravel road as going off road (it isnt!). Most would find lighter bikes like the T7 or even the AT as more suitable for actual off road riding. If you have solid skills on the dirt, you'd be surprised what a Tenere or GSA with knobbies will do.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMHO before deciding which direction to go sit and write down the places you would want to go to. S10 and Vee are basically road bikes which would do well on unpaved roads. When you get on Dalton or Dempster you see alot of 'Stroms, GSs, some S10 and AT.

If you plan to do some BDRs but still need 2up capability I would pick Africa Twin. It's still a pig but a more capable one. If 2up isn't issue then 790 Adventure or T700.. used 650GS or perhaps farkled out mighty DR or KLR.
    rauchman likes this.
  10. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same debate recently and went the V-Strom 1000 route. Where I ended up leaning towards a new bike...the V-Strom was a better bang for my buck. If I was shopping used...I would say that it's a toss up. Both are good bikes.

As was already said....check out both and see what you think of them. I liked both and if I could have gotten a similarly equipped new ST for the same price as my V-Strom (ex. Panniers), I might have gone that route.
    MariusD and rauchman like this.
  11. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    X2

Mike B
    tntmo and rauchman like this.
  12. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rauchman likes this.
  13. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Between the VS1k and the SE10....

Which is better on the highway?

S10
    Which is easier to manage moving out of the garage/parking lot stuff
    VS1
    Which is smoother at low speed going through small towns with bumpy roads?
    S10
    Which is easier to maintain? Access to typical stuff (battery, fuses, air cleaner, etc.)
    S10 in general - only valve adjustment (every 40.000 km) is a bitch.
    Which will take a passenger easier/better?
    S10
    Which has better suspension? I know the SE10 has longer travel, but for the road does that equate to "better"?
    S10
    Which has better range/mileage?
    Mileage is about the same - range is better on S10 due to larger fuel tank.
    Which is lighter, better balanced?
    VS1 is lighter but S10 is better balanced.
    Which has been aftermarket support?
    Either.
    Other options, roughly in the price range and roughly this level capability/power to consider? Really not interested in the Africa Twin.
    BMW F800 GS, Triumph Tiger 800, KTM 1050/1090/1190 Adventure
    Trip Hammer, Junglejeff1 and rauchman like this.
  14. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:

Excellent! Thank you!
  15. Hecklerboy

Hecklerboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode my Harley Street Glide for years and then decided I wanted something a little more off road oriented. Bought a KLR650 which was nice to learn on but quickly outgrew it. Needed something that could do well off road as well as cruise the interstate and two lanes when needed. Decided on the Africa Twin Standard model. Absolutely love it. It's great off road and on the back roads and can cruise on the interstate with ease. You can set it up for aggressive off road riding or for touring, whichever you do more of. I still use the Street Glide for long haul riding if I'm staying on pavement, but if I think I might go off road on my trip I'll take the Africa Twin. Might even ride it to Myrtle Beach Bike Week next year just to be different.
    AT Wheeler.jpg
    Marto71, Barnaby'sDad and rauchman like this.
  16. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:

And? We know the questions, what are the answers? :dunno

For a moment I thought the light background was hiding some text you put in between, but it seems you were being more philosophical than opinionated... :lol3 That's actually surprising, not because I think you are opinionated, but because you have owned at least one of those and quite a few bikes that overlap with those bikes (I guess every ADV-touring bike overlaps somewhat with others). So what do you think? :hmmmmm

Gustavo
  17. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's a setting on your monitor, but I can see his answers
  18. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    It's the site settings, not the monitor itself. I use a white background and the color Tonny used for the replies to his questions doesn't show up, not even when I was quoting his post, which typically reveals the "hidden" text when it changes colors. :scratch

Thanks for pointing it out @rauchman. :thumb

Gustavo
    rauchman likes this.
  19. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    You are probably not the only one who use white background @Gustavo , so I have now changed the color of the text :-)
    rauchman likes this.
  20. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:

My buddy just picked up a left over 2017 last week and brought it over. Have to say, I liked it more than I thought I would. The sound of the engine was very V-Twin'ish and the ergos were pretty nice, and....I could flat foot it. Still would prefer a 19" up front, and tubeless tires, but.....interesting for sure.