ADV Forum road/touring equivalent?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Pearl City Chinook, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Pearl City Chinook

Pearl City Chinook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve had a break from riding for the past fifteen years while my kids were growing up. I started back in a couple years ago and the people and info on this site have been super helpful.
    With the COVID pandemic shutting down all of their sporting events and slowing down my work schedule I’ve got an unusual amount of free time.
    I am thinking of taking a week off and heading West from the Chicago area to do some socially distanced riding. Would love to do a BDR but Im not sure my riding or trail side maintenance skills are up to par yet so I’m considering staying on paved roads. Wondering if there is a site for touring similar to Cannonshot or GPS Kevin with some tried and true routes for a noob like myself?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    CP
    Traxx likes this.
  2. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Set your phone to avoid interstates and tolls, then follow the setting sun......
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. oldoval

oldoval Energy Vampire

Oddometer:
    There is a wealth of road touring knowledge right here on ADV. I can't imagine another forum coming close to having as many members willing to share info.

Try searching a bit through regionals and ride reports for areas you think you might want to visit, if you don't find what you're looking for, ask for help in regionals, you'll likely have people tripping over each other to tell you which roads are best.

4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, just avoid highway. At each fuel/food stop, search the area ahead for twisty road and head that direction.
  5. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Old school - buy the Butler Motorcycle Maps for the states you're heading to and link the recommended rides together

https://butlermaps.com/shop/motorcycle-maps/
  6. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Yeah jonz got it. The Butler map of Colorado alone could keep you busy all season.
  7. Pearl City Chinook

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all who have posted advice.
    i picked up a set of the Butler maps and have been looking at all the great routes. It’s a little overwhelming. I’m struggling a bit trying to determine what a reasonable amount of miles should be each day since I’ve never been out that way and don’t know how much traffic, terrain etc play into it.
    This is my first long trip. The short trips I have done usually are taken from other people’s rides or posted tracks.
    I’m starting to get a rough outline put together.
    I’ll probably start out with that and wing it as necessary. I’ll try to post more info this weekend when I get the itinerary firmed up a little bit.
    Traxx and scarysharkface like this.
  8. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Individual mileage per day is hugely variable. On trips which are all about riding in the west, I like 600 miles a day. That's 10-12 hours a day in the saddle. Few riders like that much saddle time. Maybe crank out one big day to get to the good stuff and then drop back to 200-300 miles per day. Less than 200 per day if it includes dirt
  9. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
  10. Pearl City Chinook

Oddometer:
    I’ve been riding quite a few of the driftless routes and I highly recommend them to anyone who lives in the area. They save a lot of planning time and take you down some great roads.
    scarysharkface and Parcero like this.
  11. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Planning schmanning . Just get on the bike and ride some of the roads you think may be interesting as outlined on some of those maps you bought . Ride when you want and stop riding at wherever you feel like it is time to stop for a Motel or a campground . Turn around and head back to home base by different roads when you think you are running down the available time.
    Next time out you will have a better feel for what is YOUR pace of riding and tackle a different set of roads .Explore, wander and enjoy whatever landscape you are in. Whining about the “ flatness” or “ boring”scenery of the Great Plains is not permitted .:lol3 That would be only in your head
  12. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I try to not plan too far in advance. Pick a few gotta ride roads and hit them. I start to think about where I'm going to spend the night about lunch time. Book a room using Booking.com. Plan the next days ride that evening. Be flexible as there may be things/place to visit that come up or weather that will change your plans. Don't get too hung up on planning. Keep a return date in the back of your head and turn around when you need to. You'll get a feel for your own riding pace after a few days.
  13. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Lots of good advice. The Western US is a big place, so best to pick a couple specific spots or areas you're interested in and then read Ride Reports that went there, or post up questions on where to go in those spots. I used ADVRider to plan pavement only trips long before I ventured off road.
    scarysharkface likes this.
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    A simple paper road atlas will give you lots of info.. Look for curvy line highways and away from boxy lines. Each state the scenic roads are marked and easily seen and many CG's are marked with little tents. Some called scenic are not so scenic as you learn from travel. For overall planning a paper map gives you the big picture of an area faster than any device. You will not see an entire state or even a region of a state on a phone screen. Even gravel roads are shown in an atlas.
    ApexJeff and scarysharkface like this.
  15. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I once used a National Geographics Guide to Scenic Highways and Byways as my go to travel guide while on a five month tour of western US and Canada. Coupled with state maps picked up at visitor centers and an atlas, I had everything I needed.

I also found that asking questions to locals was very beneficial, both for good roads and camping.
  16. MarkVeeMarkADV

MarkVeeMarkADV sharing misinformation and useless trivia

Oddometer:
    All great advice,
    I would add my experience/lack of wisdom:
    1. you wont see everything,but see SOMETHING; and take pics.use the simcard.
    2. ride for awhile,in a general direction/or goal. dont just rack up miles..you WILL see something.
    3.this is not your last trip. dont worry that you will miss something or some place.
    4. smile at everybody you see, even say "hi "- you are ADV!

Ride Safe
    Sully

5. advice everybody gives me, s t f u and RIDE!
  17. socalluke

socalluke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I don't have time to plan, but then all of a sudden have time to go for a ride. I like the "Scenic" app. Simply select a destination, then you get options like "avoid" dirt, "avoid" Highways and can select from Curvy, Fast, Short, or Efficient routing. It will take you on some great roads!

I would typically rent a motorcycle for a 2 day or 3 day ride after our sales meeting. So not familiar with the area or roads at all and this app allowed me to plan out a rough game plan each night with just my phone and a paper map. Then I could either follow my plan from the night before or easily make adjustments on the fly....all from the phone. Can be your single source for planning, nav, and recording.
  18. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I'd go for hours in saddle as opposed to mileage. Also where you sleep will come in to play. Around noon you want to decide on a sleeping spot and get there at 3pm if possible. Now you have the rest of the afternoon and evening to enjoy that place even if it's just a one nighter. PLUS you will get a sleeping spot a lot easier at 3pm than you will any later....and if it gets to 7pm you may not find a place at all.
    Ginger Beard likes this.