ADV-Fundamentalism: anti-virus tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, May 19, 2020.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    I popped out of the wash and it was time to cover some ground. It was hot. There was some sort of yellow flower blooming that made this scene stunning.
    Day7d - 1.jpg

I hopped onto a smoothly graded road that would cut through some intense terrain and quickly gain me some distance and elevation.
    Day7d - 2.jpg

The riding intensity eased up as I sailed over these graded roads. It felt good to go fast in the heat.
    Day7d - 3.jpg

I fueled up for the last time. A large group of Adventure Riders stopped. They were coming back from Moab returning to Las Vegas. I didn’t chat long enough to get details on their route. There were a number of capable bikes in the group but that oversized “Gravel Goldwing” on the far right side of the photo told me what kind of riding these guys were doing. I originally bought my Super Enduro so that I could ride with buddies on that type of ride. Funny, it’s really never worked out like I thought it would.
    Day7d - 4.jpg

I continued to climb and escape the heat. I was up to near 8000 feet at this point. These vast meadows were putting me into an intense but content state of mind.
    Day7d - 5.jpg

Smooth two tracks brought me across these high plateaus.
    Day7d - 6.jpg

I wish I had a better camera with a more powerful zoom to bring out how dramatic these features were.
    Day7d - 7.jpg

Soon it was time to drop down through some really cool canyons.
    Day7d - 8.jpg
    Traxx, KLRalph, Ginger Beard and 22 others like this.
  2. karter18

karter18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speaking of front tire sizes it is also interesting to note the type of tire these guys use. We switched from a standard knob to a trials tire after readings from Joe convinced us. Like it a lot as it is great in the terrain out west and much better than the OE Knobbies. Ours are on TW's so they are already 18 inch rims on the front. We may not go fast but we always get there.
    Traxx and Foiler like this.
  3. Dusty Rider

Dusty Rider Seeking Neverland

Oddometer:
    Do you sell the 18" wheels or own stock in the company that does?
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  4. shasta650

shasta650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you get your 18" front rim,spokes and lace it yourself? Any supplier advice!! thx! ( proud rusty adjusta fork user)
  5. Dusty Rider

Dusty Rider Seeking Neverland

Oddometer:
    Two more sales... Chaching!
  6. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    As much as you believe KTM is going in the wrong direction weight wise, they are leaps and bounds ahead of the other manufacturers.
    The 790 is probably my next (big) bike in a couple more years. I will have to start looking for build threads that push it towards the SE. Tho’ even stock it’s 55 lbs. lighter than my current BMW. For now I’ll have to run my WR450 when I’m chasing the Prophet.
    Steamer likes this.
  7. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Love the sound of a 950 on the boil, like a hot Chevy small block.
    Traxx, Toddv and Joe Motocross like this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yes, I think all the Presiding High Council members are currently running the Pirelli trials. They seem to work well for a wide variety of terrain in the western deserts and mountains.

Hoping to cinch up the patent soon.

I've laced one and purchased a few more. We've been buying them from Warp 9 in Salt Lake. Wally had to go with Buchanan Spoke and Rim for the 790. I think a buddy of mine had Woody's Wheels lace one up also.
    Foiler likes this.
  9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Like I said, most capable "in its class". It looks like the only option for those of us who want a giant dirt bike rather than an ADV bike is to take matters into our own hands and build our own "desert sleds". This feeds into the ADV-F philosophy in getting back to the roots.
    Traxx, Ginger Beard and Foiler like this.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Totally. The big V-twin sounds and acts crazy all opened up. My observation while riding the 790 was the engine seemed like a sewing machine rather than a Chevy small block.
    Traxx and ScotsFire like this.
  11. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    While being a firm believer in the 'to each their own' philosophy, I hadn't heard 'gravel goldwing' before and that made me laugh pretty damn hard. On the plus side, at least they're out riding and hopefully supporting the local economies. But I can't imagine getting into real off-road riding on something like that (unless you're Chris Birch or the like).

So many great scenery shots, but this one really stands out man - great capture that makes me want to throw the bike in the truck and head east. Though it wouldn't exactly be a ADV-F type of experience, it sure would sweet to get out there with you and film. Likely pipe dream stuff, but chasing you with the drone and capturing the area in video would be damn cool.

Knobby side down man, look forward to what comes next. And hope you don't mind, took the boys out to the woods for a couple nights and showed 'em why cooking over a fire is superior when camping - good for meat and toast :D :D

carne-adjusta.jpg

english-adjusta.jpg
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    So true on all that. I just can’t stop poking at the Beluga Class mainly because of the “off road hype” that is involved with those bikes. I’m an ass, sorry. (not really)

Nice fork deployment. Enjoy the Alvord, look forward to hearing about that.
    Traxx, Ginger Beard and liv2day like this.
  13. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    I noticed on your SE wash video that you are getting the bike Hot like 5+ bars on the temp gauge. What do you do to manage heat and keep it from boiling? Type of coolant? That wash did look fun. I too own and ride an 950 SE and the sound and torque is intoxicating.
    Traxx likes this.
  14. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gravel Goldwing? (that's pretty good actually)

It's common . . . almost mandatory for religious cults to cast dispersion on other denominations. Tut Tut there preacher, there are plenty of mud smeared German loyalists out there brapping and roosting and airing out the humps and drops. Can't we all just get along? :photog

And another thing. Do you think if I send back my Adjustafork you could weld on a nice little BMW roundel? That would look bitch'n.
    Some Beach, codebot, Traxx and 3 others like this.
  15. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whoa whoa whoa. What hypocrisy do we see here??
    You're running a centerstand??? That's gotta weigh more than one of those silly chairs! Modify one of those fancy forky-forks into a trail stand and get bonus points for more minimalism
    Traxx, BobcatSig, svo_jon and 2 others like this.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I believe that 5 bars is within normal operating temperature. The bike generally runs at 4 bars but bumps to 5 in slower more technical terrain. I run just everyday Prestone or something like that. One thing that did make a difference is I installed a fan switch that turns on the fans at a cooler temperature. I think they come on at 178˚F or somewhere in there. The SE is a totally amazing simple machine. Pure lunacy.
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yep. And when you advertise a 1300cc pig with panniers and a big top box/bag suggesting how off road worthy it is, who's being honest? This image from a current ad on this site makes me think this dude is about to attack the whoops and start sliding the back end around corners. Dude is even dressed up like he means business!!
    Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 8.21.41 AM.png
    ADV-Fs have no problem with the big loaded bikes. Just don't try and bullshit us about what your going to do with them. Be honest with yourself and your behemoth and you'll see that the ADV-Fundamentalists speak The Truth.
    Traxx, Ginger Beard, Foiler and 3 others like this.
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you got me. I'm gonna take that center stand off and start packing a chair. Changing a tire on a bike pushing 500 lbs? Too easy!! What I need to be concerned with is where I'm going to sit down.
    Traxx, Ginger Beard, Foiler and 5 others like this.
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Seems like an obvious solution.
    Traxx likes this.
  20. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its always the first thing to get ripped off when I buy a big bike. Trailstand accomplishes the same thing and weighs less. Plus I can pretend I'm less of an "adv rider" and more of a dirt enthusiast